5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen in some other posts that it might be possible to fit the front and rear sway bars from the 18' + Crosstrek and Forester on the 5th gen Impreza. I just wanted to see if anyone has done this and how well it worked before I try this doing this on my 2019 Impreza touring/premium. I'm aware the subframe would have to be dropped to change out the rear sway bar.

· Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
169 Posts
I'm not sure 100%, but I would do several other mods before focusing on the rear sway bar, most importantly Cusco Stut Tower Braces and BC Racing Coilovers. Those will have a big impact on cornering performance.

· Registered
288 Posts
Sway bars made a bigger difference on my Impreza compared to the strut bars. Both together are even better. After the sway & strut bars, I really didn't feel the need for coilovers. The stock suspension feels great to me with just these few upgrades.

Hardrace Front Sway Bar:

Hardrace Rear Sway Bar:

The website says "Out of Stock" because they are made to order, mine took about two months to get. Well worth the wait.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure 100%, but I would do several other mods before focusing on the rear sway bar, most importantly Cusco Stut Tower Braces and BC Racing Coilovers. Those will have a big impact on cornering performance.
I'm basically going for a more OEM+ kind of set up so lowering wasn't really on my mind I've already done some small mode like a carbon filter delete and a Perrin pitch Stop so I'm mostly looking to just upgrade the sway bars before doing anything else.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sway bars made a bigger difference on my Impreza compared to the strut bars. Both together are even better. After the sway & strut bars, I really didn't feel the need for coilovers. The stock suspension feels great to me with just these few upgrades.

Hardrace Front Sway Bar:

Hardrace Rear Sway Bar:

The website says "Out of Stock" because they are made to order, mine took about two months to get. Well worth the wait.
While those are super nice I was hoping to do this upgrade using compatible OE part. As I wasn't really looking at spending almost $1000 CAD doing this up grade. Thanks for the suggestion though.

· Registered
700 Posts
OK, first, could you explain the logic of Crosstrek bars being better than whatever bars you already have (assuming it's not a base model with none at all)? The Crosstrek is supposedly a bit of an 'off-road ready' car, and trust me, the LAST thing you want if you are going off-road is a heavy-duty sway bar. In fact, a serious off-road vehicle often has no sway bars at all. If you're looking to improve handling, slapping on bars from a jacked-up light duty off-road vehicle makes no sense at all....

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, first, could you explain the logic of Crosstrek bars being better than whatever bars you already have (assuming it's not a base model with none at all)? The Crosstrek is supposedly a bit of an 'off-road ready' car, and trust me, the LAST thing you want if you are going off-road is a heavy-duty sway bar. In fact, a serious off-road vehicle often has no sway bars at all. If you're looking to improve handling, slapping on bars from a jacked-up light duty off-road vehicle makes no sense at all....
I'm upgrade the size of the bars the Impreza premium comes with a 22mm front sway bar and a 14mm rear sway. The Crosstrek comes with 24mm front sway bar and 16mm rear sway. I'm wanting to improve handling.I'm basically just trying to build my Impreza OEM+

· Registered
'17, O.Z. Ultraleggera, K&N filter, tints, LED lights, cup phone holder
109 Posts
I'm curious too, what would be the best handling mod? When I drive on the highway and doing a turn in the rain, I often feel the back wheels drift.... like they aren't gripping the way they should. I got new tires already and they're really good tires.

· Registered
700 Posts
FWIW, a slight drift of the rear wheels is considered desirable, and is probably pretty much programmed into your traction control. Would you prefer excessive understeer? I though you wanted to improve your handling??

Loss of traction isn't a suspension issue, it's a tire issue, plain and simple. If you wanted tires with better grip in the rain, you should've bought grippier tires. You can spend thousands on suspension mods, but nothing will change that reality....

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW, a slight drift of the rear wheels is considered desirable, and is probably pretty much programmed into your traction control. Would you prefer excessive understeer? I though you wanted to improve your handling??

Loss of traction isn't a suspension issue, it's a tire issue, plain and simple. If you wanted tires with better grip in the rain, you should've bought grippier tires. You can spend thousands on suspension mods, but nothing will change that reality....
I have very good grippy tires for my car my winter tires are michelin X-ice snows and my summer tires are continental pro contacts so it's not a tire/traction issue at all I Simply want to put thicker sway bars in both the front and rear and was hoping to do this by using the OEM Crosstrek/ Forester sway bars if possible if I replace both the front and rear sway bars with with thicker one any understeer would be negligible to non existent.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

It's not a traction issue even in the slightest I invest in good tires for car i have Michelin X-ice snows for the winter and continental pro contacts for spring and summer so you were making an assumption I know the importance of having good tires. I simply want to upgrade my Sawy bars to thicker one upgrading them both would make understeer negligible and if anything would make my car flater in corners and more direct. I would be going from 22mm sway bar to a 24mm sway bar in the front and from 14mm sway bar to a 16mm sway bar in the rear. So all I want to know if it is possible to do this using the Crosstrek/ Forester sway bars or if anyone has successfully done this mod/upgrade.

· Registered
700 Posts
Wow....ok first, let me add to what I was saying before:

Since the Crosstrek has a wider track and sits higher, that is because it uses different control arms (a.k.a. "wishbones") than the Impreza uses. I'm not certain, but it's very likely that the Crosstrek has completely different mounting points on the control arm, which would make the sway bars incompatible. You will need to check Subaru part numbers for more info. Also, if you are looking to buy bars off a junker, I'd look for a Sport or a Premium model before I tried to make parts from other models fit my car.

Secondly, just putting fatter sway bars on will not significantly reduce understeer, at least not directly. The contributing factors towards understeer are (in approximate order):
1) Weight distribution
2)Tire grip (which includes rubber, tread, and pressure)
3) Tire camber (not much adjustability on an Impreza)
4) Spring stiffness
5) Swaybar stiffness

My sport certainly has stiff springs, and I believe slightly thicker bars, as well. But cornering on broken pavement is fairly 'jittery', due to spring compliance being reduced to get better lateral G forces. Still, my car starts with minor understeer at lower speed cornering, which fades into minor oversteer at higher speeds, just like any track racer would tell you is the best setup for racing.

Of course, you can use your incomplete knowledge of vehicle dynamics and spend many hundreds, even thousands of dollars on mods which, in the end, won't 'improve' your handling. Back when I was actively racing in the SCCA, a friend of mine who built several competitive race cars once joked about a brash young man who "spent $5000 to make his $2000 dollar car handle like a $100 car".

I've said all I will on this subject. Have fun proving me right.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Since the Crosstrek has a wider track and sits higher, that is because it uses different control arms (a.k.a. "wishbones") than the Impreza uses. I'm not certain, but it's very likely that the Crosstrek has completely different mounting points on the control arm, which would make the sway bars incompatible. You will need to check Subaru part numbers for more info. Also, if you are looking to buy bars off a junker, I'd look for a Sport or a Premium model before I tried to make parts from other models fit my car.

Secondly, just putting fatter sway bars on will not significantly reduce understeer, at least not directly. The contributing factors towards understeer are (in approximate order):
1) Weight distribution
4) Spring stiffness
5) Swaybar stiffness

My sport certainly has stiff springs, and I believe slightly thicker bars, as well. But cornering on broken pavement is fairly 'jittery', due to spring compliance being reduced to get better lateral G forces. Still, my car starts with minor understeer at lower speed cornering, which fades into minor oversteer at higher speeds, just like any track racer would tell you is the best setup for racing.

Of course, you can use your incomplete knowledge of vehicle dynamics and spend many hundreds, even thousands of dollars on mods which, in the end, won't 'improve' your handling. Back when I was actively racing in the SCCA, a friend of mine who built several competitive race cars once joked about a brash young man who "spent $5000 to make his $2000 dollar car handle like a $100 car".

I own a premium. the sport and premium both use 22mm front sway bars and 14mm rear sway bars. Putting thinker sway bars on a car reduces body roll making the car more planted in corners ie. Staying flatter in corners. I would increase understeer if I only put a thicker sway bar in the front you clearly have know idea what you are talking about.

· Registered
2 Posts
I don't think he ever said that, he's simply stating the bars are larger. The crosstrek being a "supposed" off road ready car is kind of a marketing ploy. It's a grocery getter that is slightly more offroad ready than your hyundai sante fe lol. It actually does me sense, the bars are larger, he's looking to improve his handling and body roll, like he said.

Again, there you go talking about stuff he never mentioned before. He's wanting to upgrade front and rear bars, nothing wrong with that. The suspension is more or less identical between the two cars, the crosstrek is literally just a lifted impreza so there's minor nuances. He's just asking a simply question here m8.

1) Weight distribution
4) Spring stiffness
5) Swaybar stiffness

Lol he's not asking for your arm chair opinion, you sound like a very argumentative person based on your assumptions. Take some time to understand people man, your not really sounding too friendly here, you just sound like you want to argue and throw bs about you being an elite racer in his face. He's not here to have a physics or handling debate. He's just asking if it's been done before. He's not asking about understeer/oversteer blah blah, he just want to make an attempt at swapping over sway bars as they have some of the most bang for buck upgrade improvements you can do to any car at all.

· Registered
4 Posts
I don't think he ever said that, he's simply stating the bars are larger. The crosstrek being a "supposed" off road ready car is kind of a marketing ploy. It's a grocery getter that is slightly more offroad ready than your hyundai sante fe lol. It actually does me sense, the bars are larger, he's looking to improve his handling and body roll, like he said. Again, there you go talking about stuff he never mentioned before. He's wanting to upgrade front and rear bars, nothing wrong with that. The suspension is more or less identical between the two cars, the crosstrek is literally just a lifted impreza so there's minor nuances. He's just asking a simply question here m8. Lol he's not asking for your arm chair opinion, you sound like a very argumentative person based on your assumptions. Take some time to understand people man, your not really sounding too friendly here, you just sound like you want to argue and throw bs about you being an elite racer in his face. He's not here to have a physics or handling debate. He's just asking if it's been done before. He's not asking about understeer/oversteer blah blah, he just want to make an attempt at swapping over sway bars as they have some of the most bang for buck upgrade improvements you can do to any car at all.
well said

· Registered
4 Posts
I don't think he ever said that, he's simply stating the bars are larger. The crosstrek being a "supposed" off road ready car is kind of a marketing ploy. It's a grocery getter that is slightly more offroad ready than your hyundai sante fe lol. It actually does me sense, the bars are larger, he's looking to improve his handling and body roll, like he said.

Again, there you go talking about stuff he never mentioned before. He's wanting to upgrade front and rear bars, nothing wrong with that. The suspension is more or less identical between the two cars, the crosstrek is literally just a lifted impreza so there's minor nuances. He's just asking a simply question here m8.

Lol he's not asking for your arm chair opinion, you sound like a very argumentative person based on your assumptions. Take some time to understand people man, your not really sounding too friendly here, you just sound like you want to argue and throw bs about you being an elite racer in his face. He's not here to have a physics or handling debate. He's just asking if it's been done before. He's not asking about understeer/oversteer blah blah, he just want to make an attempt at swapping over sway bars as they have some of the most bang for buck upgrade improvements you can do to any car at all.
well said sir

1 - 16 of 16 Posts