5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 year old daughter side swiped a pole in a parking garage. It's her car we helped her buy. She almost made it a year without incident but alas. I don't want to make a claim as I assume they'd jack up the premium.

If she wants it fixed she'll have to pay for it but I'm guessing this is thousands of dollars to fix so that's out. We'll sand and touch up the paint together and call it good. Hopefully she learned a lesson in spatial awareness.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
When i first got my 17 Impreza sport i was hit in a parking lot while out to eat and the guy took off, they had to replace the whole drivers side quarter and touch up paint in a few areas and that was almost $4,000. All i got stuck with is the $500 deductible thankfully and my premium did not go up at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I feel for you, the insurance industry sometimes seems like a racket. You might be able to have them assess the damage, to help you make a better decision on whether to claim it. After all, you are paying for the insurance, what's the point if you don't at least consider a claim?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would at least get a quote to know but I don't see that being cheap unfortunately.

A lesson indeed. I did something similar at a similar age, but fortunately I was driving an older white car instead of something new, it was a white fence post, and it just scuffed the surface. Still, learned my lesson.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel for you, the insurance industry sometimes seems like a racket. You might be able to have them assess the damage, to help you make a better decision on whether to claim it. After all, you are paying for the insurance, what's the point if you don't at least consider a claim?
I think we are on thin ice with the insurance company. My wife rear ended someone 2 years ago. Not much happened to our car but the two in front didn't look so good. They didn't raise the premium for that but I'm afraid this might be the last straw.

Not sure if it would hurt to ask or not. I could see them making a permanent note admitting the 16 year old already caused a lot of damage to her car even if I didn't file a claim and use that against me in the future somehow. Arrrr, decisions decisions.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
I think we are on thin ice with the insurance company. My wife rear ended someone 2 years ago. Not much happened to our car but the two in front didn't look so good. They didn't raise the premium for that but I'm afraid this might be the last straw.

Not sure if it would hurt to ask or not. I could see them making a permanent note admitting the 16 year old already caused a lot of damage to her car even if I didn't file a claim and use that against me in the future somehow. Arrrr, decisions decisions.
Have you considered driving lessons for the females of the family? :wink2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got t-boned back in January. This was almost $5,000 to repair on the dime of the other driver's insurance company. Required a new rear door, new front exterior door skin, a new rear quarter panel which had to be cut out and seam-welded to the existing roof arch, new rocker panel, and tons of paint/labor hours etc.

If your rear door frame isn't bent and the door still closes and seals properly you might be able to get away with just a new door skin, and then DIY paint match it and sand and repaint the rear quarter panel. Best of luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
DON'T DO THIS^^^

I learned a lesson by doing this. As soon as you get your insurance company involved you are done. Whether you file a claim or not or collect any money, they make record of the incident and can raise your rates just based on that alone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
DON'T DO THIS^^^
I learned a lesson by doing this. As soon as you get your insurance company involved you are done. Whether you file a claim or not or collect any money, they make record of the incident and can raise your rates just based on that alone.
Yup. I reached out to a good friend high up the insurance business and he said the same. Ether make a claim or keep your mouth shut.

If you make a claim in my situation the driver premium will go up 20-30% for 3 years in California. If you admit to it and don't make a claim then it will go on your record and lose a good driver discount even if you don't file a claim and they might raise the premium. This resets every 3 years.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I swiped a concrete column in my parking garage TWO DAYS after purchasing my brand new '17 Impreza... although the damage wasn't as bad as this accident, I was literally crying like a baby in my car.
In the end, it's just sheet metal and pride.

Life goes on. :smile2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bit the bullet and turned it into insurance. They didn't believe the pillar jumped out at her and claimed 'at fault' accident, the nerve of them. I'll post the cost when i get it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts