5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Context: I live in Washington state, where handling any electronic device (even while stopped in traffic), is a "DUIE" ("Driving Under the Influence of Electronics") primary traffic offense (reportable to your insurance company). The law allows a "one press/swipe" contact with a mounted (not handheld) phone while driving.

So, last night my family dispatched me to buy some fast food. I agreed to send a text message when I was on the way back. With my phone clipped securely to my belt (connected via Bluetooth, not Android Auto), and with both hands remaining on the steering wheel the entire time, I pressed the Voice Activation button on the steering wheel.

I said, "Text [John Doe]" (who was in my phone address book)

The car voice said, "Text [John Doe] mobile or home?"
I said, "Mobile."

The car voice said, "Choose a message from this list. Say the number of the message."
I said, "Five" (the list from page 90 of the Multimedia-System-Manual was displayed).

The car voice said, "Confirm text to [John Doe] mobile?"
I said, "Yes."

The car voice said (& displayed), "Message sent."

Page 90 of the Multimedia-System-Manual describes how to do this with button presses, and page 199 documents the voice command.

Quite handy!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can do this with Android Auto, without being limited to what fits in the car phone book or the messages in the list. Respond, too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts