5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Things I LIKE about my Gen5 Impreza :)

8K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Zeroptzero 
#1 ·
To give perspective to this waiting-room sharing of ailments, I think it would be nice to have a thread where we can express things that please us... things that stand out as better-than in other cars we've had, in which they were a common source of dissatisfaction for owners, or simply aspects of them we wished were different.

I'll start - my Impreza's seats are near the top of my list of things I especially like about my new Impreza.

My last Subie was universally bashed for its seats... with some even getting rid of the vehicle specifically because they could not tolerate the seats. They cited every reason seemingly possible. On only one section of its forum there is a 30 page thread nearing 600 posts... and that's only one of many threads and disparate sources. I got used to them. They were just one-more of the same these days. Until I got the Imp.

The first time I got in my new Impreza I liked the way the seat fit me..

Then it passed from conscious thought. I don't think about the seat anymore.... becoming just one more part of a car that fits me in many ways. Few cars have been that way. This is the first car in a long time that is heading in that direction. NO dislikes with very few things that make sense to change.

Your turn! :giggle: Let's not let the casual passer-by or issue-seeker find this forum just a place full of "problems."

See less See more
#3 ·
There's a pretty long list of things I like about this car. It's like saying pick a crayon out of a box of 64. it's a good looking car, the manual trans is a nice setup, the car handles well, the AWD is fun, there's great aftermarket support, it's relatively simple to work on, and there's a good forum dedicated to this car model.

#4 ·
I roast coffee and sell green (unroasted) coffee as my trade/craft. I like that I can throw 700lbs. of coffee in my Sport - two sacks in the passenger front seat, 3 sacks in the back - and it still drives great. It's odd that the power seems underwhelming when I'm alone in the car but is still totally adequate when fully loaded; it never complains, it just goes.

I too really like the seats. And the handling. And I really really like the WRX shifter they put in the Sport.

#7 ·
From the first I liked how the Impreza looked up close. After buying it and having time to look at it at home these things stand out as why.

First - The front view looks like my most loved Subie, my '05 LGT. It's not the color, it's the design...only refined. It swaps the LGT's (deserved) aggressive hood scoop and larger lower grill opening for the same beautiful design, only more artfully done. The '05 LGT was Subaru's most beautiful design, to me and many.

Next - The wheels are centered in the wheel opening. I've adjusted coilovers, tires, etc. dozens of times to get that look. The Gen5's tire-to-wheel opening is perfect just the way it comes.

Helping the wheels - The stock tires fit the Imp's looks. The aspect ratio gives me 2.75" of low-profile sidewall and looks perfect on the car's 17" wheels while providing handling, comfort, and protection.

Finishing the looks - The stock hidden exhaust is without doubt a mark of the design team's attention to detail. There are few things more ricey or wannabe to me than a vehicle with a chrome exhaust tip on prominent display, promising what it doesn't have to give.

Some cars are just utilitarian people movers... regardless of their qualities otherwise. Sad to say, my FXTT was that. It deserved a better mate than me. Not this car though. Beauty that she is, I've already touched her and made her mine.

#8 ·
This one may be out of left field, but I like the resistance in the gas pedal. When driving our van or the wife's corolla, and I have to keep the gas at a certain level in flowing traffic, my foot/calf starts to strain. There is enough push-back in our accelerator that I can just rest my foot at the prescribed angle. Maybe I just have fat feet...

#11 ·
After reading this last evening I wondered... why did I miss that, and determined to find out asap. So this morning I had to go out early anyway... and you're absolutely correct!

In the short while I've had my Imp I've noticed lots of things I like that are different. Then they all began to lose their individual identities to become... a car like I haven't had in a very long time. One that fits me so well, in so many ways, that it feels like I've been driving it forever.

And you're right about other cars' pedals. Their too-easy-to-moveness has been something I've had to work around forever it seems, adjusting the seat and myself to keep my foot and leg comfortable. This one reminds me of cars from my earlier years, with throttle cables and springs you could adjust just right. It was some of those earlier cars that set standards I felt lost forever. No more.

Thank you for adding to my list.

#10 ·
No. And I do't want to hear it. I don't care.

Having a lifelong need for power, and more power, I dismissed the Impreza for many years because it had no power as far as I was comcerned. Totally threw it under the bus.

Then I becan to take notice of what people I respected who had been driving one to Alaska and cross country many times over the years since the Gen5 came out... who loved it, who had also come from WRXs and STis and cars with power. I listened.

The Impreza's other qualities intrigued me, too. A lot. But still I wan't interested. Then I went to a dealership to get info on the new Legacy XT... MY kind of car. And there sat a beautiful white car in the showroom and I started looking at it. I'd never seen a new Impreza upclose before, and I was suddenly in lust. I took it home when I left.

I've been testing the car since.... here in the hilliest, curveist, best place in America for bikes and cars to enjoy their machines' handling and ride. And also how its ability to handle mountains fits into all the other.

The Gen5 Impreza doesn't need more power to satisfy my needs. My last car had more than a hundred hoursepower more... but I rarely used it. Didn't need to. The car before that had more than three times this Impreza's horselpower. Couldn't use it.

Not only is my new Impreza's power good enough, it's not even been a question in my mind since the first two days when I put that puppy to rest.

#14 ·
To give perspective to this waiting-room sharing of ailments, I think it would be nice to have a thread where we can express things that please us... things that stand out as better-than in other cars we've had, in which they were a common source of dissatisfaction for owners, or simply aspects of them we wished were different.

I'll start - my Impreza's seats are near the top of my list of things I especially like about my new Impreza.

My last Subie was universally bashed for its seats... with some even getting rid of the vehicle specifically because they could not tolerate the seats. They cited every reason seemingly possible. On only one section of its forum there is a 30 page thread nearing 600 posts... and that's only one of many threads and disparate sources. I got used to them. They were just one-more of the same these days. Until I got the Imp.

The first time I got in my new Impreza I liked the way the seat fit me..

Then it passed from conscious thought. I don't think about the seat anymore.... becoming just one more part of a car that fits me in many ways. Few cars have been that way. This is the first car in a long time that is heading in that direction. NO dislikes with very few things that make sense to change.

Your turn! :giggle: Let's not let the casual passer-by or issue-seeker find this forum just a place full of "problems."
I love my impreza. I love the way it handles corners and how reliable the car is. I love it when i floor it, i gap civics and cop cars on a rolling 40. (Lmao jk) but yeah i smoke civics and acuras. I tried racing a M3 in heavy traffic but you know...

#16 ·
When you buy a new car every 20 years there is a lot to like. A few high points.

The size. I moved from a Legacy L wagon to an Impreza hatchback. So much nicer having a shorter car. And I could still carry everything when I drove my son home from college.

Adaptive cruise control. My main drive is every Saturday. 60 miles, mostly on highway and rural routes. Being able to adjust speed 1 mile or 5 miles at a time is great. The car slowing down automatically and then resuming speed (*though often it is better for me to control breaking if it is a quick slowdown). Being able to set 3 car lengths between myself and the car ahead of me. I feel much safer when driving.

The seats. Very comfortable.

CarPlay. I appreciate it is standard.

Acceleration. Don’t laugh, it is so much better than my 1998 Legacy L. I’m not racing anyone. It has been real good on merging and when I need to accelerate uphill. The Civic would have been nicer in this regard but also more expensive.

Value. I got my Impreza for under $21,000 including taxes, registration, fees, etc. I feel that I get a lot for the money.

The feel of driving. I’ve drove a few Nissans both before buying the car and shortly after buying it due to travel and a week in body shop after someone dented a door. I felt too high in the Nissans and too isolated from he road. I really missed adaptive cruise control (those one had blind side detection and it was nice). I was happy to get back in my Impreza.

#18 ·
For me:
Fuel economy, sticker price, seats, headroom, AWD, Carplay

This is the first brand-new car I've purchased since 1996. I've always been a buy-used and drive it 'til 200k and then sell it guy. With the 0% financing and lifetime powertrain warranty my dealer offered, I couldn't pass up buying my Premium brand new. Paid just under $21k, and I'm saving $144/mo on gas vs. my last vehicle. Living in CO and having a longer commute, I've always wanted/needed 4wd/AWD so this was perfect.

On top of all of that, I'm 6'7" tall and still have plenty of headroom and the seats are comfy.

All in all, super happy with my Impreza.

#19 ·
So after owning my Impreza for about a month now I figured I'd chime in with some of the things I really like.

The overall driving experience - This car is just so fun to drive, more specifically on twisting, windy roads. Yesterday I look her on a 40ish mile joy ride through sweeping country roads just because I can't get enough. It's a blast throwing it into a curve and powering out with the AWD system. The Impreza makes driving fun for me again.

The interior - While it may not be the best I absolutely love the look. The black interior with red stitching just pops! I think the faux carbon fiber adds a sporty touch and the red accents on the gauges and buttons looks beautiful at night for sure. The seats are very comfortable to boot.

Screen above Infotainment - The screen above the infotainment screen is pretty handy, especially the screen which allows to customize some settings. Its cool to me to be able to see my throttle percentage.

The body - Lastly the styling and lines make the Impreza body look very sleek with a tough of aggressiveness here and there. I really think Subaru hit it out of the park with this car.

Maybe all this is the fact that this is my first new car in years, maybe not. I looked at a lot of cars before I purchased this one but the Impreza just spoke to me. As time goes om I'm sure I'll find more nuance things I love and likely some things I don't. I basically wanted to give everyone my impressions so far.

#21 ·
The handling characteristics are one of the things that drew me in. the seats are firm, but seem to be bolstered in all the right places so they are super supportive. i also cant get over how much interior space there is in this thing. I'm 6'1" and even with my seating position, which is usually almost all the way back, i fit perfectly in the rear seats.

#22 ·
After reading this forum every day, what I really like about my Impreza is that it has been flawless for the year and a half I've owned it. No wandering on the freeway. No head unit issues. No leaks. No unexpected visits to the dealership. Nothing. Just a good experience... and fun.

#23 ·
As a daily work vehicle in a country that has snow and ice, I always bought SUVs. I have to say I never got stuck in the snow with the SUV's I owned, but really they are sucky to drive every day, the handling and high centers of gravity, and excess momentum affecting braking and cornering.

When I got the idea of owning and AWD car, I checked out the Impreza at my dealership and it was like a revelation. I can drive a vehicle that is enjoyable to drive each day and not worry about bad weather, so the best of both worlds. It is great value too, excellent bang for the buck.

Overall - sporty with good handling and braking, comfy, quiet and smooth, AWD, and good fuel economy, at an affordable price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.