5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states. I am considering trading my 2018 Impreza Sport in for a 2019 WRX. The 2018 Impreza Sport has kind of left me wanting more in performance. Otherwise I love everything else about the car. What're some of your opinions?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You should have plenty of zip in WRX.....especially if you get the STi with the larger 2.5L turbo.
(Personally, I dislike the 'grocery cart handle' on the trunk lid)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If I were you, I would hold out until the new updated WRX comes out...not that far away and you'll get killed on getting rid of your 2018 with depreciation and taxes. I, too, want a WRX to replace my 2017 Audi A4. I love the Audi and bought it since the existing WRX had too much in-cabin drone for me to handle. Test drove several and they gave me a splitting headache when driving between 1500-2000 RPM...the drone is extreme IMO. However, I will hold out until its built on the new GLOBAL Platform and also receives a ton of additional goodies and they address the drone.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,082 Posts
I agree with Securityguy, wait until the new platform comes out, much better car. My son has an Imp on the old platform and it is night and day compared to the new one. And, you will have more equity in the Sport for trade in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’m not a fan of Turbo lag and the lack of throttle response. I found Turbo Subaru’s disappointing in regular driving and wouldn’t trade to a WRX even if it was free. Maybe the next generation will be better. After driving a Turbo Mustang I know Turbos can be much better.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had a 2017 Forester XT Touring so I can relate to your issues with the turbo. Personally, I would wait for the next gen platform and save your money for now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also agree with everyone and wait for the global platform wrx. It should be pretty much the same car minus the hatch and more power obviously.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I’m not a fan of Turbo lag and the lack of throttle response. I found Turbo Subaru’s disappointing in regular driving and wouldn’t trade to a WRX even if it was free. Maybe the next generation will be better. After driving a Turbo Mustang I know Turbos can be much better.
was the Turbo Mustang you drove a V8? or the eco-boost Mustang?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree with everyone on waiting on the new platform. while the infotainment system will likely be crap, the handling and driving of the new platform will be so much better than the current model. just look at the differences between the previous Impreza to now. the global platform is way better.

if you are worried about the turbo lag, maybe you are maybe you aren't, a quick call to Cobb Tuning can remedy that.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Actually, the new Infotainment system used in the Impreza, Legacy and Forester is AWESOME and will be no different in the updated WRX. The latest 3.1 HK head unit in my daughter's 2019 Forester is terrific and totally trouble-free.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Actually, the new Infotainment system used in the Impreza, Legacy and Forester is AWESOME and will be no different in the updated WRX. The latest 3.1 HK head unit in my daughter's 2019 Forester is terrific and totally trouble-free.
well thats great news! I didn't know they had improved it. my bad.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yep...no worries my friend. The HK units in the 2017 and 18 are 3.0 version radios. They must have made a hardware change in the 2019 because it is now classified as a version 3.1 so not just a software change. I must say that the NAV unit in my 17 Impreza Limited has been totally trouble free.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree with Securityguy, wait until the new platform comes out, much better car. My son has an Imp on the old platform and it is night and day compared to the new one. And, you will have more equity in the Sport for trade in.
This...if they kill the new WRX I was planning on doing the same thing. We will be about halfway or more paid depending how long you financed for so with the trade in hopefully it will be a fairly even swap payment wise. Plus that new WRX is going to be amazing and who wouldn't want the 2020

·
Registered
292 Posts
was the Turbo Mustang you drove a V8? or the eco-boost Mustang?
The Turbo one I'm referring to was an Ecoboost 4 cylinder. I've driven the V-8 and even a Roush Turbo V-8 but they didn't have the quick power boost at lower RPMs like you use 90% of the time. The 4 banger turbo spooled up so quickly and made so much torque you didn't have to downshift much, unlike the 3 Turbo cars I had that were only fun at full throttle after the Turbo built up pressure.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,082 Posts
I looked at the 18 and 19 stangs and, for me, it's a V8 or nothing!
If I lived in Florida like you do I would be driving a Mustang for sure. The main reason I have owned Subies for the last 20 years is the fact that I live in one of the snowiest areas in the country.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I almost traded my truck in for a newer sti. Since i still need awd and wanted fast. But agreed, if 4wd wasn’t needed I’d be looking at the mustang or camaro. Similar mpg, and arguably more dependable once you start adding power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would advise you to wait because a new one will be better, maybe more powerful. I've done a huge mistake when I bought a Subaru Impreza in 2013 and in 2014 was presented a new one. I was very disappointed because it's obvious that my Impreza dropped by 35% in value. I didn't have to wait long for buying a new one because in 2015 I crashed my Impreza and with no possibility to restore. I found a service Car Removal Perth – Top Cash For Old, Scrap, Junk & Unwanted Vehicle! which gave a good buck for my damaged Impreza. I'm planning to buy a 5'th gen Impreza.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got a 2019 WRX sport and a 2020 Impreza Sport Tech, I am glad to have one of each as they both have traits that appeal to me. I wasn't worried about a newer model WRX coming out, I was actually expecting it sooner when I got my WRX. The current gen WRX ticked off every box on our list of needs, so it was perfect for what we needed. It was very affordable too, excellent bang for the buck. A new WRX will come with a larger price tag, with more features, maybe more bugs to work out, will the manual tranny be gone ? They likely won't add too much more power to the powertrain The current gen WRX is almost bulletproof from what we have experienced, and so far gets similar fuel economy to our Impreza, and has better handling despite an older chassis. You should see some decent discounts towards the end of this model year and ahead of the newer gen model coming out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts