5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do you have the HK 8-speaker upgrade? I've been thinking of doing the same thing but don't know where to start. Never messed with audio before.

I find the real low end doesn't come through. Its like the speakers totally miss those frequencies and makes the track go from hype to dud... Not everything i listen to is like that but the stuff that is bothers me a lot.
I also noticed when i was moving the sound settings around that the "subs" or lower speakers are in the front of the car. I usually like my bass in the back so I get clearer instruments and vocals

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I feel the same way. The HK has a good sound stage with the dash monted tweeters but it def lacks low end. I feel that with a sub and the front speakers tuned to mid range freq and no low end it would sound great. I'm going to a few local shops this weekend to ask around and see if anyone can beat this price on a custom 10inch enclosure. What were your plans for yours?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did anyone figure out to add an amp to power a sub with the existing HK setup? I’m going to be doing this soon.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 8" alpine sub in mine and it's a perfect fit under the driver seat, $200 on amazon now
custom box??

And I haven't added anything yet :/ goals for the end of the year

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm curious what the frequency response of the H/K system is, for a stock system it's reasonably well rounded. I'm not a bass head in the car, as long as it can thump enough. I'll leave extreme LFE extension/bass output to my home theater & home stereo.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious what the frequency response of the H/K system is, for a stock system it's reasonably well rounded. I'm not a bass head in the car, as long as it can thump enough. I'll leave extreme LFE extension/bass output to my home theater home stereo.
I HK is solid mid-range but not a lot of true low end, with a nice sub tuned would add a much needed punch and you could move the crossover point on the HK system to cut off some low end.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I HK is solid mid-range but not a lot of true low end, with a nice sub tuned would add a much needed punch and you could move the crossover point on the HK system to cut off some low end.
If my hearing memory serves, it's hitting down below 60Hz reasonably well, but I wouldn't expect it to be digging down to 40Hz. For a system without a dedicated sub that's not bad at all.

I should run a frequency generator on my phone through the bluetooth and see.

edit: just matching up in my headphones with a tone generator against a song i've noticed some depth on and it's in the 48-50Hz range.

Again, not bad, but I'm not expecting it to smack down in to the 20Hz range like I have at home. There's also precious little music (especially that I listen to) where you need that depth. In terms of output levels, also pretty respectable.

I am not one for over-exaggerating the bass like I hear many people doing in their cars with overkill subs. Everything in balance is more important to me, and tapering off near 40Hz is not a bad place to be. The 60-250Hz ish bass range reproduction is pretty good overall as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If my hearing memory serves, it's hitting down below 60Hz reasonably well, but I wouldn't expect it to be digging down to 40Hz. For a system without a dedicated sub that's not bad at all.

I should run a frequency generator on my phone through the bluetooth and see.

edit: just matching up in my headphones with a tone generator against a song i've noticed some depth on and it's in the 48-50Hz range.

Again, not bad, but I'm not expecting it to smack down in to the 20Hz range like I have at home. There's also precious little music (especially that I listen to) where you need that depth. In terms of output levels, also pretty respectable.

I am not one for over-exaggerating the bass like I hear many people doing in their cars with overkill subs. Everything in balance is more important to me, and tapering off near 40Hz is not a bad place to be. The 60-250Hz ish bass range reproduction is pretty good overall as well.
hrmm solid work i feel even that little 8inch Alpine from above would help get it down to 30hz

·
Registered
320 Posts
hrmm solid work i feel even that little 8inch Alpine from above would help get it down to 30hz
32Hz according to their specs. Won't keep up with my home gear but will certainly add a bit more depth and probably authority to those sub 60Hz notes.

$200 isn't bad, I could certainly see giving it a poke sometime, I just don't know how much hassle I'd be in for wiring it. I don't have to strip out trim and bits of a car to wire my home theater or home stereo :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good thread to be following but a few things....

@hockeykid53 the custom sub box you were looking at is for the WRX, pretty sure that won't fit in the Impreza.

Also there were a few comments about the overall frequency response. If the frequency response of the head unit in the car only goes down to lets say...45 HZ and the Alpine sub goes lower...that won't matter because the lowest the overall frequency will be is dictated by the actual head unit itself.

I really miss having a sub in my car. I built a custom enclosure when I had my MkV VW and was using a single Alpine Type R 10" with a 500-watt Alpine mono amp, TOTAL overkill. I am really really curious about the performance of the Alpine PWE-S8...nothing wrong with 8" and 120 RMS should be fine since it is dedicated low end.

Certainly following, this could be a great solution!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also there were a few comments about the overall frequency response. If the frequency response of the head unit in the car only goes down to lets say...45 HZ and the Alpine sub goes lower...that won't matter because the lowest the overall frequency will be is dictated by the actual head unit itself.
It would be interesting if that were the case, not sure any of us even knows if it is limited in that manner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@csroc I actually should have been slightly more specific....if we're adding a sub/amp by tapping into the speaker wire (a few people here have suggested tapping into the rear speakers...and if you have the HK unit with the factory amp under the passenger seat then it is even easier) then using a line out converter then the frequency response will absolutely be dictated by the head unit as those are the frequencies that we are indeed tapping from. I always prefer (if possible) to have speakers that have a wider frequency response/range than the range of the audio going into them, but practically it doesn't make that big of a difference as long as the actual frequencies line up or are close to lining up.

Hopefully, that makes sense!

If your source audio only goes down to 45 HZ and your speakers go down to say 20 HZ...well 20 HZ is never making it to the speaker in the first place.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If your source audio only goes down to 45 HZ and your speakers go down to say 20 HZ...well 20 HZ is never making it to the speaker in the first place.
I absolutely get that.

I didn't realize the HK unit had an amp under the seat. I was wondering how easy it would be if I considered doing a sub install at some point.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@csroc to your second point...I think what's a little confusing for me on here sometimes is that really all the head units are HK....but if you got the upgraded speaker package with the "8" speakers (which let's be honest is actually 4...there are tweeters and a woofer up front and some smaller components in the back) there is a factory amp located under the passenger seat.

My beef with the upgraded HK system is either the crossover or how the amp is digitally filtering through the frequencies (which is really the same thing....) on some songs things sound great, and on others, there is certainly some dead space.

I really really wish there were some RCA outs on the factory amp or even on the factory head unit and its been hard to find any pictures. I'd prefer to add a sub with its own frequency range then re-eq the speakers on the factory head unit but I'm pretty sure that's not possible with the factory gear. The issue I see in adding a sub to the factory head unit (which is what I will most likely do because I actually don't hate it...) is that it is going to be a little redundant by tapping into the speaker wire. Sure we get a high/low pass filter on the sub...but the 6x9's in the front are still going to be doing what they've always been doing....I'm curious if adding an 8" sub to two 6x9's will just muddy things up or actually help out....

I do love the idea of not losing any trunk space!

·
Registered
320 Posts
@csroc to your second point...I think what's a little confusing for me on here sometimes is that really all the head units are HK....but if you got the upgraded speaker package with the "8" speakers (which let's be honest is actually 4...there are tweeters and a woofer up front and some smaller components in the back) there is a factory amp located under the passenger seat.
The components each are two way so they're counting them as two speakers.

Anyway, to your other point, you're overthinking it. Yes they're all HK but Subaru only markets the upgraded kit with the more powerful amp and 8 speakers as HK.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@R0gersism yes! I had this exact same set up in my 2007 VW. (pic below) Is that a shallow mount type R? The magnet on mine was HUGE. Also, your trunk looks sooo different than mine.

I really don't want to go through the hassle of making a custom enclosure again, where did you get yours made from it looks awesome!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts