5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Raining like a b!otch, on the highway to work going 75-80 and hit something, tire goes flat in seconds and I am sideways at about 70 for a few seconds. I get control and get to the side of the road. Smoke is coming from my right rear tire. I get out in the pouring rain and the tire is a pancake. New set of snow tires *sigh*.

I changed the tire, the crap tools they include with the car actually worked.

Now I am trying to find a replacement tire as Pep Boys doesn't have one. :(

https://poetandpoem.com/analysis-of-she-dwelt-among-the-untrodden-ways-by-william-wordsworth

·
Registered
30 Posts
That sounds like it woke you up a bit. Sideways in the rain going 70 sounds nuts.
Glad you didnt wreck.

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still shaking!

Now I am having trouble finding a replacement tire. Pep Boys is checking nationally and can't find one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Syracuse Roads, gotta love ‘em. Same thing happened to me on the Thurway a couple of years ago (except the sideways thing), totally cut the sidewall.

·
Administrator
767 Posts
Glad you are OK. Sounds like you need to get on a drift track soon.

Reactions: C J

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry you had problems, they seem to always happen in poor weather. Good to hear you found a
replacement tire.

I'm surprised you didn't have trouble getting the lug nuts off with the factory furnished tools. The
prescribed lug torque of 89 lb. ft. cane be a little hard to loosen. My dealer rotated my tires and used
a impact tool to tighten the lugs. I had to use a long breaker bar with 28" extension pipe to get them
loose. I still had a hard time getting them loose. I will not let my dealer rotate my tires again.

After another bad experience I now carry a 14" 1/2" driver breaker bar, 3" extender with a 6 point
19mm socket to loosen my wheels in event I have problem. If someone has replaced tires or rotated
tires I check the wheels for correct tightness when I get the car home.

Clifton

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm surprised you didn't have trouble getting the lug nuts off with the factory furnished tools.

I had to stand on the "lug wrench" it is only like ten inches long.

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tirerack has it. It's on their website.

Call Tirerack, ask for Luke at x362. Tell him Mike the photographer with the weimaraner sent you (I don't want to give out my full name).
Are you calling me a liar? ;)

Dude, I called a human being, he got on the computer direct quote "we do not have any Falken Snow tires".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry you had problems, they seem to always happen in poor weather. Good to hear you found a
replacement tire.

I'm surprised you didn't have trouble getting the lug nuts off with the factory furnished tools. The
prescribed lug torque of 89 lb. ft. cane be a little hard to loosen. My dealer rotated my tires and used
a impact tool to tighten the lugs. I had to use a long breaker bar with 28" extension pipe to get them
loose. I still had a hard time getting them loose. I will not let my dealer rotate my tires again.

After another bad experience I now carry a 14" 1/2" driver breaker bar, 3" extender with a 6 point
19mm socket to loosen my wheels in event I have problem. If someone has replaced tires or rotated
tires I check the wheels for correct tightness when I get the car home.

Clifton
Good plan! I always specify that the tires be hand torqued to 90 ft. lbs. But even then, one of the monkeys at a local tire shop cranked the tires on so tightly that they warped the front rotors. Ever since then I carry some tools with me when I have my tires replaced/rotated - loosen one of the lugs on each tire while I'm still there and retorque. If I can't break the nuts free with a regular 3/8" ratchet, back on the lift it will go and I stand and watch. They must think I'm crazy.

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What popped your tire? A bullet?
You are not the first person to ask that! Certainly looks like a bullet hole doesn't it?

Sorry, I can not divulge the facts since it might incriminate me. ;)

Just call me Bond, James Bond.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts