5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport Sedan - 5-Speed
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my sixth and newest Subaru so far, and it was a love/hate relationship off the starting line. My 2017 Sport sedan is a manual, and it suffered the infamous rev hang/over fueling issue like everyone else. I really like the appearance of the car, the handling/ride, and the economy (my original reason for purchasing) vs. my previous daily, a 2005 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, which averaged about 16 mpg. It didn't take long for the rev hang to start bothering me, so I began doing research. This led me originally to Throttle Happy Tuning, but due to a 16 hour time difference, and health issues (I do hope Matt at Throttle Happy is doing better), I continued my search. After creating my account here, I found a few members that had worked with Mike at Rallisport, so I contacted Mike. After two and a half weeks of downloaded software, lots of messaging, data logging, and flash after flash (I think he sent me 10 revisions to the original tune - really made it great), Mike really came through. The car is such a joy to drive now, I can't thank Mike enough, or recommend enough, absolutely great experience. I tried a Nameless Performance axle back, and maybe I'm just getting old, but it seems to loud for me. I now have the factory OE exhaust back on, and now it seems too quiet.... Does anyone make an exhaust that sounds just a little more aggressive than the factory axle back?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Borla does. Also, if you want to go for the full Quad-tip nameless axleback, that one seems to muffle just a bit more, but it costs like $800. Also, it's available only for the wagon. Have you considered a custom axleback? Somebody near you probably does custom work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Borla does. Also, if you want to go for the full Quad-tip nameless axleback, that one seems to muffle just a bit more, but it costs like $800. Also, it's available only for the wagon. Have you considered a custom axleback? Somebody near you probably does custom work.
I don't think so, I have the sedan, and couldn't find anything for that on the Borla's website, only the 5 door. It's a shame, I'd love the quad tip, but it doesn't fit the sedan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I may go with a custom axle back, lots of local fab shops, any suggestions for mufflers? Flowmaster, Magnalow, etc.?

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
117 Posts
I think I may go with a custom axle back, lots of local fab shops, any suggestions for mufflers? Flowmaster, Magnalow, etc.?
I'm in almost the same boat as you. Didn't like the droning of the Nameless. My plan is to talk to a muffler shop about fitting an Apexi WS2 muffler. Should be simple on a sedan, I have the wagon so they would need to re-angle the tip. When I was in the Honda scene, the WS2 was a near stock sound at idle and sounded good on throttle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up making a baffle out of a piece of aluminum tubing, and pinning it in the Nameless muffler, it's still a little loud, but there's no drone at cruising speed, and that's primarily what I was trying to get rid of. And... if I want it noisy, I just pull the pin and take out the baffle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ended up making a baffle out of a piece of aluminum tubing, and pinning it in the Nameless muffler, it's still a little loud, but there's no drone at cruising speed, and that's primarily what I was trying to get rid of. And... if I want it noisy, I just pull the pin and take out the baffle.
Do you happen to have any pictures of the baffle? I am thinking of different ways to deal/eliminate my drone from the nameless 5in.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you happen to have any pictures of the baffle? I am thinking of different ways to deal/eliminate my drone from the nameless 5in.

Thanks
Chris, I used a 1"x1.5" aluminum tube, I mitered the end towards the back of the car to try and make it as invisible as possible. I packed the end inside with copper wool, sounds good and revs nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts