5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the tint done today was tired of the fish bubble life. He is a few photos. First is before and last 4 are after. 20% in front and limo all the way around. It's so sunny is so-cal need it to help with that more then see better at night or rain in back window.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looks so good on the white car. I want to tint so bad but here in NY all windows, including the back must be 70% or above to pass inspection. I don?t know if it?s worth getting done at only 70%. Also on older cars I had gotten 70% tint, only to get pulled over 2 separate times and have their tint reader give me 2 different results ( 30% once and 60% the other) this was years ago when the device was a one piece slide over the top of the glass thing. It was also at different times of the day with different amounts of sunlight which clearly gave it different readings. Now they use a 2 piece reader one they place on each side of the glass. I don?t know if the newer readers are more accurate but I?d hate to get legal 70% tint only to have it later read illegal and have to pay to remove them. While I don?t agree with the rules in place I can understand why law enforcement does not want a completely blacked out car. Anyone have any expirence especially in NY with getting their car tinted then inspected?

·
Registered
778 Posts
the light meters now are pretty accurate. as long as the user knows how to use them correctly. with that said, being that you are in NY and can only have 70% legally, you just about can't do anything unless you can find an 85% or 90% film. the Subaru glass from the factory reads about 74-76% with no film on it. it isn't "clear" glass, it has some solar tint built into it. we see this same thing all the time in our shop. in fact we just tinted a new Rav4 the other day for a lady who will be moving to NY in October. So we weren't able to tint her front windows at all, but being it is an SUV and the tint law is different for such, we were able to do 18% on the rear windows.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I got 20% all around. I wish I had opted for darker.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the light meters now are pretty accurate. as long as the user knows how to use them correctly. with that said, being that you are in NY and can only have 70% legally, you just about can't do anything unless you can find an 85% or 90% film. the Subaru glass from the factory reads about 74-76% with no film on it. it isn't "clear" glass, it has some solar tint built into it. we see this same thing all the time in our shop. in fact we just tinted a new Rav4 the other day for a lady who will be moving to NY in October. So we weren't able to tint her front windows at all, but being it is an SUV and the tint law is different for such, we were able to do 18% on the rear windows.
So if I were to put 70% tint on my car you?re saying because of the factory darkened windows that the 2 combined would read less than 70%? Would a 85 or 90% even be worth doing it doesn?t seem like it?d make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with the tint needing to be dark for the heat. I live in northern nevada, but tint laws are so lenient (if that's how you spell it lol) the law in nv is 30 in front and any% in the back. I have 20 in the front as well and a 5% sunstrip.

Any police trouble yet in cali?
I visit my family in sacramento and i've gotten 4 warnings already, all verbal, from chp. Nothing at all from police in nv.

BTW, PEEP THAT CRX ACROSS THE STREET LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
So if I were to put 70% tint on my car you?re saying because of the factory darkened windows that the 2 combined would read less than 70%? Would a 85 or 90% even be worth doing it doesn?t seem like it?d make that much of a difference.
that is exactly what i am saying. if you put a 70% film on the car it will register about 62-63%, thus failing. if you do a ceramic film even at 85% it would be worth it because you wouldn't feel the heat coming in on you as you drive. if you have any decent tint shops in your area go by one and ask them to give you a demo of ceramic film vs non ceramic. the heat rejection difference is amazing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
that is exactly what i am saying. if you put a 70% film on the car it will register about 62-63%, thus failing. if you do a ceramic film even at 85% it would be worth it because you wouldn't feel the heat coming in on you as you drive. if you have any decent tint shops in your area go by one and ask them to give you a demo of ceramic film vs non ceramic. the heat rejection difference is amazing.
Honestly is doesn?t get that hot in buffalo. A few months in the summer but other than that nothing unbearable. This would be for looks only. I saw a video on YouTube showing how much more heat the ceramic tint rejects. In terms of darkness though 85% is 85% ceramic or standard?

·
Registered
778 Posts
true, 85% film is basically clear so if you aren't doing it for heat then i wouldn't waste the money. i don't even know if you can find an 85% or lighter film. the manufacturers we use have as light as 80% but that is it. it is a great product for heat rejection, but you can hardly tell it's on there. we use 70% on windshields, in fact both mine and my wife's are done in 70% and the amount of heat it keeps from coming thru that huge piece of glass is awesome!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cali's laws are 30% front and and 4inch stripe on windshield then anything for back and rear. With the 20% and Limo I'm sure I'll be good they can't tell the difference between 20 and 30.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's 70% front door windows in Cali. That's why I wondered about warnings.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's 70% front door windows in Cali. That's why I wondered about warnings.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
Gotcha lol I was thinking 30% light blocked had it backwards but idk everyone in socal has black windows limo tint so I'll jst try and blend in lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts