5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a set of winter wheels for my 2019 Impreza Sport. I finally found a set that seems ideal. WRX wheels that are 17X7 with a 55 offset, wheels only not tires and they appear to have TPMS which would be a plus. I'm going to look at them tomorrow. The guy is only asking $150 USD which I think is a good deal. The pics aren't great so I need to see them in person. The description says some curb rash hopefully it's not too bad.

So now I need to decide on tire size and it seems to keep everything relatively the same it's down to two sizes (however open to other suggestions if I'm not thinking about this the right way)

205/50 < Click me for comparo

225/45 < Click me for comparo

Current OEM 225/40R18 7.5 wide ET 55 - New wheels 17 X 7 wide ET 55

So I'm trying to decide.

225/45 pros: they will look nicer IMHO, they are the same width as current. Better handling with less sidewall but they will be snows cons: Heavier, more expensive, not as good in snow as a narrower tire. Speedo off slightly

205/50 pros: Less expensive, exact same speedo, lighter. Better snow traction being a little narrower. I'm only guessing but I bet there are more snow tire choices with this size. Cons. More sidewall flex. Won't look as nice as the wider tire.

What do you think? I haven't explored what is available but I was looking for opinions. Which size should I go with assuming these are the best options? I'll post pics of the wheels in this thread if I pick them up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The narrower tires will be better in the snow, downsizing wheels is also a great idea. I think the WRX wheels that fit our cars are from a few years back and the TPMS doesn't work for us. Price sounds great however and they will be hubcentric so you are on the right path.

·
Registered
111 Posts
narrow tires in the snow! Go with the factory size to be completely honest, I put 02 wrx wheels with 205 55 16 blizzaks on them. They are slightly shorter than stock sport wheels even tho the base model cars come with that size.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started looking at tire prices and that has tipped the scale toward the 205 / 50 size. It will be nice to have a lighter wheel too. I was wondering about the TPMS, I'll have to dig into it a little more. I think I'll be heading out in a little bit to pick them up. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How much snow do you get? Where I live, heavy snow and slush can hide a lot of things which could ruin a sidewall, and my 205/55R16's are about as low a profile as I'd dare drive during winters.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I started looking at tire prices and that has tipped the scale toward the 205 / 50 size. It will be nice to have a lighter wheel too. I was wondering about the TPMS, I'll have to dig into it a little more. I think I'll be heading out in a little bit to pick them up. I appreciate the input.
I didnt bother with the tpms. just a lil light on the dash nothing crazy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I did with my BRZ, just put up some black tape over the light. I just picked up the wheels, they are in decent shape, Subaru TPMS but I'm unsure of the date. I took some pics with the part number. I'll do some research but dinner first :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much snow do you get? Where I live, heavy snow and slush can hide a lot of things which could ruin a sidewall, and my 205/55R16's are about as low a profile as I'd dare drive during winters.
We don’t get a lot of snow here, nothing like when I lived in central PA. But we can have a few bad storms. Sleet and freezing rain is more prevalent although the winters have been getting worse I feel. I’m sure I could muddle through with all seasons. Once know how much better dedicated snows are you kind of want them. Plus, once the oem tires need to be replaced, I can get summer rubber.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are the wheels and the TPMS units, anyone have info on a good unit to communicate with the TPMS units? I may end up getting one since I have a number of cars I can use it on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I didnt bother with the tpms. just a lil light on the dash nothing crazy.
Just to add on to this, certain tire installers like NTB or TownfaireTire in certain states, NH for me, require TPMS. They'll give you this warning:

IMPORTANT TPMS INFORMATION: YOUR VEHICLE REQUIRES TPMS SENSORS
NOTE: INSTALLATION OF TPMS SENSORS IS NECESSARY TO KEEP YOUR VEHICLES TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM FULLY OPERATIONAL. NHTSA'S INTERPRETATION OF THE MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT PROHIBITS SERVICE PROVIDERS FROM INSTALLING WHEELS AND TIRES ON YOUR VEHICLE WITHOUT WORKING SENSORS.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never had an issue but I usually just bring the wheels to get the tires put on so they have no idea what vehicle they will go on. I have two that predate TPMS by quite a few years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Daughter and I both have limited Imprezas. She decided on factory sized 17" tires and rims. I had 16" tires from my previous car. The 16" steel wheels fit over the rotors and brakes. I have the ATEQ Quick set and use it to turn off the light when switching tires seasonally. I prefer the 16" with taller sidewall for the potholes we get in Wisconsin. My Daughter hit one and dented both the steel rims on passenger side.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No input to add here, but following to see what you end up with tires for winter. I'm on my OE all-seasons year round, but considering going with snowies on a spare set of wheels I have in the shed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Daughter and I both have limited Imprezas. She decided on factory sized 17" tires and rims. I had 16" tires from my previous car. The 16" steel wheels fit over the rotors and brakes. I have the ATEQ Quick set and use it to turn off the light when switching tires seasonally. I prefer the 16" with taller sidewall for the potholes we get in Wisconsin. My Daughter hit one and dented both the steel rims on passenger side.
We had a bad winter in our area. My son hit a pothole with the 2010 Legacy 3.6R. It was such a big pothole he bent the wheel. Lucky it still held air. In the end I had to replace the wheel and front struts.

I've been researching the right tool to get to set the TPMS. Which one do you have? Is it the one you can use to program the system and wake up the sleeping sensors? I'll get one eventually just still deciding.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No input to add here, but following to see what you end up with tires for winter. I'm on my OE all-seasons year round, but considering going with snowies on a spare set of wheels I have in the shed.

I'm for sure going the 205/ 50 17 but not sure on the brand yet. I do have a set of these on steel wheels for my kids 2001 Forester and they do work very well. I also have General Brand tires on three other cars and they have always worked out well. I'm leaning towards these

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic+12&partnum=05TR7AA12XL

·
Registered
172 Posts
Those Altimax tires are a great deal. Here in Upstate NY, we sometimes get heavy, sloppy snow, sometimes light snow, sometimes icy conditions, and often rain, but mostly dry conditions. I think they are about the best for such a wide range of conditions. For heavy, wet snow, the Firestone winter tires are better, but they stink on ice. For icy conditions, Nokians are best, but they don't do so well in heavy, we snow, and they wear too quickly. Blizzaks are a good all-around tire, but they only work well until 50% tread depth, when they essentially become 'all season' tires. Blizzaks work best for the guy who puts on 40k/year, mounting the tires at the start of winter, then replacing them at the start of the next winter.

As for TPMS readers, certain readers work only with that company's sensors. The cheaper the reader, the more likely that is the case. I know somebody who had to be 2 different readers, 1 for each wheelset!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts