5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in the past week or so, my passenger rear tire is acting strange. I got a notification on the dash that tire pressure was at 25 psi. I pumped the tire. Day or two goes by & it happens again. So last Saturday I pumped it again when it dropped to the 25 psi mark. Since then no issues with the tire. Has anyone experienced something like this or difference in tire pressures?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea, you've got a nail or screw in the tire - maybe buried in the tread so you can't see it.
Run your hand all over the tread and see if you can feel it. But take it to a dealer.
I think the basic warranty covers road hazards for the original tires.

Just fixed this in my wife's SUV over the weekend. She says "oh maybe it just lost a bit of air".
So I pumped up and it held overnight with a few pounds lost. Sure enough, she had 2
nails in the tire. They bury themselves so deep that it almost seals in the tire.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She says "oh maybe it just lost a bit of air".
So I pumped up and it held overnight with a few pounds lost. Sure enough, she had 2
nails in the tire. They bury themselves so deep that it almost seals in the tire.
Oh man, 2 nails :frown2:. I have run my hand all over it numerous times & I haven't felt anything. I guess I'll schedule an appointment at the dealer & have them take a look, but your probably right it's probably buried somewhere.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
In a previous vehicle I had a nail stuck in the inner sidewall of a tire. I wouldn't have noticed this if it wasn't for the noise it made while rubbing the wheel well. I'm sure you've checked there, but if not it could be hiding there.

If not a nail have you hit a pothole lately? Sometimes that can cause issues like this.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In a previous vehicle I had a nail stuck in the inner sidewall of a tire. I wouldn't have noticed this if it wasn't for the noise it made while rubbing the wheel well. I'm sure you've checked there, but if not it could be hiding there.

If not a nail have you hit a pothole lately? Sometimes that can cause issues like this.
No potholes. I'm super careful when driving not to hit any & there's a lot in the Northeast. We pay so much taxes in MA & they don't take care of the roads it's preposterous. I honestly haven't checked the inner sidewall but tomorrow in work I'll just whip the wheel off & see for sure. I just hate going to the dealer for little things like this coz it takes up so much of my time.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
No potholes. I'm super careful when driving not to hit any & there's a lot in the Northeast. We pay so much taxes in MA & they don't take care of the roads it's preposterous. I honestly haven't checked the inner sidewall but tomorrow in work I'll just whip the wheel off & see for sure. I just hate going to the dealer for little things like this coz it takes up so much of my time.
Great, I have more potholes to look forward to when I move up that way in a few months. Hopefully not any worse than PA potholes...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have noticed in the past week or so, my passenger rear tire is acting strange. I got a notification on the dash that tire pressure was at 25 psi. I pumped the tire. Day or two goes by & it happens again. So last Saturday I pumped it again when it dropped to the 25 psi mark. Since then no issues with the tire. Has anyone experienced something like this or difference in tire pressures?
Perhaps it was a leaky schrader valve, when you pumped it up for the second time it re-sat the the rubber gasket (or cleared debris) and prevented the leak. Those valves also could come loose and leak, but not common.
Here's a cut away of the valve for clarity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts