5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that the tire pressure has been way too high since I got the car. All tires have been around 40 psi. I just lowered them to the recommended 33 front and 32 rear.
Anyone know why they would be so high at the dealer?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could the hotter summer temperatures cause the pressure to increase? Did you check them "cold" or after you drove?

Just to throw this out there, could you (or them) be using an inaccurate pressure gauge?

FWIW, I usually run a few pounds higher than what the manufacturer calls for. Although it might ride a little rougher, I've found that I get longer tire life.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They shouldn't be so high
The mechanic/tech is supposed to check and adjust before you get the car
Mine was the same as Well
I presume more tire pressure in the frt because of extra weight
Less in rear for under steer
Not sure

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have noticed that the tire pressures change so often probably with the change in temperatures. I try to keep mine 35 psi all round. Someone on here recommended it. This topic has been talked about before though.

·
Registered
469 Posts
On the sport, the setting for this is on the steering wheel controls I think, you hold the info button & the options appear.
Same on my premium; it was set to metric on delivery. Pressures were all too high too, as others have noted.

Anyone know if the wheel assignment in the 4 wheel TPMS display resets positions automatically when tires are rotated?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same on my premium; it was set to metric on delivery. Pressures were all too high too, as others have noted.

Anyone know if the wheel assignment in the 4 wheel TPMS display resets positions automatically when tires are rotated?

That being said, it should still track tire pressures and not trip a TPMS light. However, you'd have to make a mental note that the tire positions have changed on the display.

http://www.impreza5.com/forum/130-5th-gen-impreza-maintenance-service/3649-rotating-tires-tpms.html

Without buying the proper tools, I'd imagine that will require a trip to the dealer or competent tire shop to correctly assign the sensors to their indicated positions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does anyone know how to change the units for tire pressure from kPa to psi?
On the sport, the setting for this is on the steering wheel controls I think, you hold the info button & the options appear.
Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine were really overly high on delivery too. I had heard in the past they are inflated high during shipment (I can't remember why though).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mine were really overly high on delivery too. I had heard in the past they are inflated high during shipment (I can't remember why though).
Your dealer should have in/deflated them to the correct pressures during their pre delivery to customer phase.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I got my car from dealer, the pressures were 40-42 cold in my Limited. I went back to the dealer for something and mentioned this and was told that the mechanics recommended this pressure (door says 32/32) as this is the "only way to get decent gas mileage out of these cars". I felt the handling was not good at these pressures and made them set it to the recommended. I found it very strange that the dealership did this without any input from me. Even 40+ is nowhere near the limit of 51 listed on the Firestone tire.

I ended up increasing it slightly myself to 37 cold all the way around. Much better balanced handling and
mileage. About 10% more than recommended. Car rides great on the highway, is quieter and handles well
at slow speeds over the recommended pressure.

I do the same thing in all cars and if you get a nail or slow leak, you have an extra margin of safety and this has helped out my wife's car which got such a slow leak with a nail.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No - TPMS won't relearn on it's own

No - it won't relearn (darn-it, some car brands do) and the the ATEQ tool had not been updated (for you to do it yourself at home) as of this spring 2017.

Now maybe the good news. If I see your profile correctly you have the Premium Impreza trim. This trim level does not display the corner of the car that has the low tire pressure when the TPMS, just lights the little tire symbol on your dash. So you can rotate the tires and let the codes sit where they are - and maybe not have to pay the dealer for the reprogramming.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No - TPMS won't relearn on it's own

No - it won't relearn (darn-it, some car brands do) and the ATEQ tool had not been updated (for you to do it yourself at home) as of this spring 2017.

Now maybe the good news. If I see your profile correctly you have the Premium Impreza trim. This trim level does not display the corner of the car that has the low tire pressure, the TPMS just lights the little tire symbol on your dash when a tire goes to a low pressure. Upper trims would point you to the wrong tire after a rotation, but not yours. So you can rotate the tires and let the codes sit where they are - and maybe not have to pay the dealer for the reprogramming.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, I think I was half right.

Now maybe the good news. If I see your profile correctly you have the Premium Impreza trim.
Uuuooowww. Maybe not so good news after all. It looks like the Premium trim options like Eyesight can include the color dash display with the individual tire pressures. If you have this then I'd make sure your "tire rotator" can do the TPMS reprogram. Or educate the family and have a manual tire gauge. Maybe do that education anyway. I was missing the engine temperature display gauge on my Premium trim Impreza instrumentation - now I'm not so envious.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts