5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I guess I learned something new or realized there was something I was ignorant of.

I've been tire shopping lately for a few of our cars. I ordered some dedicated snows for a second set of wheels for the Impreza. The wife's Outback is getting close to needing tires too at 4/32nds (~3.1mm), not horrible but winter will be here soon and that makes me nervous in the rain. She does take the highway to work.

So I started looking around. I always knew there was summer rubber, strictly for warm weather and dedicated snows for winter and cold temps. Then there are All Season tires which I thought sort of ranged between performance leaning and not great in snow to great in snow and not so performance orientated. Sort of spanning between the summer and snow tires. Now I see a term All Weather tires. It seems that at some point this type of tire came about and I either didn't pay attention or thought it was the same as All Season.

Apparently, all weather tires are made for snow or rather rated for snow and all seasons are not. So if you live where it doesn't snow all seasons are cool if you only have one tire but if you live where you get an fair amount of snow All Weather tires are more appropriate. All weather tires have the mountain/snowflake symbol. Who knew? I'm guessing a lot of people but it was new to me. Not as good as dedicated snows in the winter but better than all seasons.

I guess you learn something new every day.

I have a set of Firestone All Weather tires coming for the Outback to replace the all seasons that are on there now. That's not to say that my wife had any difficulty getting around on the all seasons. She grew up in MI driving in the snow it's just that I think they will be even better in the winter time.

Reactions: tzd

·
Registered
332 Posts
Indeed Peaty; all Weather tires are for those individuals that do not want to run with a true winter tire due to roads that may be plowed clear by morning or so. It's for those times when you need extra traction when snow or inclimate weather starts to stick to the road that normal all season tire might lose grip on. The All weather tire's also have directional treads that evacuate water more efficiently than some all season tires do. The other benefit is leaving these tires on without needing to change them at the end or beginning of the winter season. The extra set of rims or the extra expense of mounting and dismounting can be avoided.

I ran into All-Weathers a few years ago after running true winter tires as all seasons. Yes, I used to drop 500 bucks every 2 years on tires because I liked how sticky and how the water evacuated with running dedicated winter tires year round. I had to have my head examined with that one... for sure. But traveling 70mph in the left lane 2 feet away from the cement highway divider and hitting a deep puddle, I liked the way winter tires were able to plow through the water with no white knuckles. After realizing that the money tree was starting to rot at it's base I changed my tune and was introduced to the All-Weather's.

There is no substitution for true winter tire if you live in a area that experiences large amounts of snow fall where you must drive in it. I have had personal experience with these snow tires that are Rated in the H speed rating. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2, Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 and the Michelin X-Ice Xi3.

As for the All Weather tire, I have had experience with the Toyo Celsius on my last car and couldn't wait for the Stock Yokohama's to run out so I could change them. They are actually on order now to be installed this week.

When the snow blows around it gets slick, the all weathers gave me that extra assurance.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Damn wish it got like that here lol I'm in Sunny California, if I want to play in the snow I have to drive 1-2hr towards the mountains.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I live now in Kansas, we have very weird weather. In the 20+ years I've lived here I've seen summers as hot as 114°F ( 45 °C) and winters as cold as -11°F (-24°C) . I've never lived in a place with such extremes. It seems we are where the jetstream will dip down and rapidly change our temps. I've seen a drop of about 40°F in about 30 minutes once. We can have mild winters and then it can suddenly snow 18" inches. Mostly we get ice though which is my least favorite. Kansas is the first place I've encountered Freezing Fog and I have to say, it was extremely scary to drive in.

My preference for tires is to have snows tires and summer rubber, mostly so I can have summer rubber with the appropriate car. When I had a BRZ and with my Miata, these cars are very nice with summer rubber. The impreza is fine with all seasons during the summer but I still want snows for the winter. My job can require me to be at work regardless of the weather. I drive back roads to work and KS being relatively flat, can get some scary drifting snow across the road. I have a second set of wheels with snows for my youngest because he's going to school in Nebraska and the trip home can be bad in the winter. Even though he's got a Forester and is a decent driver, he does have limited winter driving seat time so I want to give him every advangate in the winter weather. Odd thing now with the younger kids I've found is, many of them don't learn to drive until they are much older. Both my kids were driving very early and have a fair amount of seat time. They have also been tough the TRSS training class, which I can't recommend enough. It seems their friends either don't want to drive or do it so much later that my kids end up doing the driving when they go anywhere in a group. To me it's weird, I could not wait to dive but then again there was no such thing as Uber.

I'm lucky I have the room to store the tires, RN I have 3 extra sets of wheels in the garage. The initial outlay of money is there but when you swap wheels out as seasons change, it does make the tires last longer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I remember about 10 years ago I had bought bf goodrich all terrain tires for my ranger, at the time I saw the mountain/snowflake symbol. I researched it then and it designated the tire as "winter rated" but still considered a all season tires.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would buy snow tires but the main streets and highways around Chicago are cleared within 24 hours. The stock Continentals did such a good Job in Winter I bought an extra set of wheels so they wouldn't get worn out from driving them all year and cornering hard. Now I have the stockers on 4 months a year, and a 17 inch performance set-up for spring-summer-fall.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You talk about snow removal, the other thing about this area is they aren't really equipped to remove heavy snow, so the secondary streets take a long time to get cleared. When I lived in Central PA and NW Jersey, they knew what they were doing. Here if they get a dusting of 1 - 2 inches they freak out and forget how to drive. One snowstorm my wife counted 14+ cars and mostly SUV's spun out in the center median. Most cars are fine driven properly but a lot of people think they can defy the laws of physics because they have AWD.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
145 Posts
Most cars are fine driven properly but a lot of people think they can defy the laws of physics because they have AWD.
I've noticed this a lot around here in Colorado too. All it takes is hitting the brakes too hard or just ever so slightly nudging the steering wheel on ice and you're spinning out of control and in the ditch.

I'm getting closer on my stock tires needing replacements and will likely get All-Weather tires for it when I do. I suppose I could buy a second set and swap between winter/summer but in my 27 years of living in Colorado I've done fine without dedicated snowies.

I just wish everyone would stay home on the bad days, since I'm still required to be at work everyday regardless of the weather.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes same here with having to get to work. I work in the Food Safety area and sometimes I have to get there.

I realize if you drive with some common sense typically you can do just fine with all season tires. I have to say though, dedicated snows really inspires confidence, sometimes to a fault. I remember when I was a kid in my dad's Brat, I was on some fresh fallen snow at about 8+ inches unplowed country road. He had studded snow tires, we lived in the mountains of Jersey. I was moving pretty good, snow flying everywhere and came up to a stop sign. I started breaking and realized there was no way I was stopping in time. I started breaking but blasted right though the intersection. Luckily for me no one else was around, scared the crap out of me.

Reactions: longboy

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've also had some scary moments in a couple of work trucks on ice/snow, but unfortunately I don't get a say in what tires they put on our FedEx vans/trucks haha:D

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you ever have to fit chains on your truck? I use to carry emergency Z cables with me, only had to use them once though. You can't drive very fast with them but at least you can move.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I haven't had to. The company doesn't like us to use them (we do have a few sets at my station) as they can be tricky for a novice to put on. I now do an in-town route, but in years past I've had AWD/4WD vehicles to use in the mountains. The tires on those were much better than our bigger delivery step-vans. Being in-town I have a much better chance at getting help if I get stuck anywhere.

One of my favorite vans in the station is this Mercedes:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Forgot to add: we actually have Tire Socks in all/most of our vehicles now. I haven't had to use them, but they look way easier to use if the time comes. Lots easier to store as well.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that if not fitted properly, tire chains cna do a heck of a lot of damage. I've seen videos on tire socks, they really seem interesting.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice! Getting all weather tires on the wife's Outback tomorrow and snows mounted on my Impreza's second set of wheels. The way the weather went from 90+ two days ago to 50°F today, I may be putting them on sooner than I expected...

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have 17 Subie's in our family and live in NE Wisconsin.
Most of us use winter tires. The tires my Daughter, Father, and I use are the General Altimax Arctic. They are great on ice and snow. One poster from Chicago mentioned that the roads are cleared quickly there. I will drive in snow rather than the slush left after plowing and salting. I've come up to intersections and found an increased amount of the slush due to vehicles dropping the salt slush mixture while waiting for the light to change. Stopping with All Season or All Weather tires can be a challenge. The Winter tires do a great job of cutting thru the slush film or accumulation. The extra cost of wheels and sensors is not much more than the cost of an insurance deductible. The Winter tires while wearing quicker than an All Season are like owning more than one pair of shoes. The pair/set not being used is not wearing out and the need to buy more is spaced out over a longer period of time.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The tires that are on the wheels in my pic above are General Altimax Arctic. I agree they are very good in the snow and ice. Those are for my kids 2001 Forester, I'll be putting those on his car soon. he's at college in Nebraska right now. I've taken his car out with them on in the snow just to see how they do, super nice. I intended to get myself General Altimax Arctic however, the Firestones aren't bad and they were on sale. In my size the Generals were 120 each and with the rebate the Firestones were 55 ish. The Generals are good but not twice as good so I figured I'd give the Firestones a go.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my Snows installed today. When they were balancing the tires they found one wheel was slightly bent. Lucky I have a local place that can fix it. I'll be dropping it off this weekend.

Firestone Winterforce 2 Snow tires on winter wheels, 2014 WRX wheels 17"

These are the pattern on the Firestone Weathergrip on the wife's' Forester, All Weather Tires

1 - 20 of 24 Posts