5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start this out by saying I love(ed) this car. It rides like it's on rails and the looks are that of a much more expensive vehicle. I've put about 3K into the car in mods and upgrades over the past two years. it has 15K miles on it since I work from home and don't drive much except for weekends and quick after-work trips.

So here's the deal. At roughly 8K miles, I found that both of my front calipers were leaking brake fluid. It was replaced under warranty and the dealership said they had never seen anything like it.
I've gone in for every recall or TSB (with the exception of the strut towers that I performed myself)
Now, at 15K miles, there's a rhythmic pop whenever I turn the wheel to the right. I've been at the dealership (which has been great) a ton for them to replace the axle and hub, but to no avail. They now have my car and will be replacing the steering rack in hopes that stops the issue.

My issue is this - with only 15K miles and two years under my belt with this car, I've been at the dealership a whole hell of a lot. My warranty ends in a year, and I'm currently sitting on a 10y/100Kmile Gold Plus contract in my inbox ready for me to sign...but I'm starting to think I should just sell the car and get out before who knows what goes wrong with it. I've been looking at Honda Civic Hatchbacks all morning wondering if I could sell my car and pick up a 2020 Civic base model for 22K.

What would you do? These issues aren't common, and it's extremely odd that they have happened to a car that is garage kept, 100% babied, and driven gently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I get a little pop when turning the wheel and moving forward or reverse slowly like pulling out of a spot in both my 18 Legacy and 19 Impreza. I know that doesn't answer your extended warranty question though.

I have 10yr/100k on both cars. For the Legacy with the few miles it gets it needs to 10yr. With the Impreza I will probably be close to both 100k and 10yr. I just don't want to deal with getting a new car or paying costly repairs on either. But that is just me.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get a little pop when turning the wheel and moving forward or reverse slowly like pulling out of a spot in both my 18 Legacy and 19 Impreza. I know that doesn't answer your extended warranty question though.
This is a loud pop that you can feel in the floorboards. I had the dealer shop foreman drive with me when I initially demonstrated the issue since when describing it they said it's just the bumpstock. As soon as he heard it he said "Yeah that's not good" and ordered an axle. Problem is that the axle didn't fix it, neither did the hub, so now it's the steering rack. I'm thinking it's the differential. The Civic doesn't seem to be plagued by recalls.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is a loud pop that you can feel in the floorboards. I had the dealer shop foreman drive with me when I initially demonstrated the issue since when describing it they said it's just the bumpstock. As soon as he heard it he said "Yeah that's not good" and ordered an axle. Problem is that the axle didn't fix it, neither did the hub, so now it's the steering rack. I'm thinking it's the differential. The Civic doesn't seem to be plagued by recalls.
Funny, I actually get that same feeling in my Legacy. I thought it might be the weathertech matts. I feel it in the left foot like a crack. I'll keep an eye out.

I have my own issues with the Impreza. Poor MPG, jerky trans, sometimes clunking feel (not really sound) when slowing down to a stop, remote start turning off randomly and not restarting, sometimes remote start won't work (car beeps 3 times), etc... Only have 4200 miles on car. Going in for my first oil change this month. Going to mention and document.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny, I actually get that same feeling in my Legacy. I thought it might be the weathertech matts. I feel it in the left foot like a crack. I'll keep an eye out.
This is very clearly not floor mat related. It's a loud and repetitive pop whenever turning to the right. It's clearly mechanical in nature and is very jarring. Please don't mistake this for a simple floormat issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm, just visited a few Civic forums, seems like the same kind of stuff. To be blunt, both are the bottom of the line vehicle for each brand. How much are you going to lose selling the Impreza and starting another payment cycle, vs. an extended warranty?

You can shop the warranties online, doesn't have to be your dealer. When we bought out 19 OB, the finance guy asked about extended warranties and I politely declined stating I found a much better price somewhere else, he matched it.

Honda is not the mark of reliability it used to be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is very clearly not floor mat related. It's a loud and repetitive pop whenever turning to the right. It's clearly mechanical in nature and is very jarring. Please don't mistake this for a simple floormat issue.
I think you are misunderstanding me. I was thinking at first it was a matt issue but after hearing your issue I'm thinking it may not be. Not trying to pass off your issue as a matt issue just making me be more attentive to the sound I have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmm, just visited a few Civic forums, seems like the same kind of stuff. To be blunt, both are the bottom of the line vehicle for each brand. How much are you going to lose selling the Impreza and starting another payment cycle, vs. an extended warranty?

You can shop the warranties online, doesn't have to be your dealer. When we bought out 19 OB, the finance guy asked about extended warranties and I politely declined stating I found a much better price somewhere else, he matched it.

Honda is not the mark of reliability it used to be.
I was quoted like $2700 by my dealer after the sales manager told the guy to give me a good deal. When I told him what I could get it for, he was shocked but matched minus tax. He told me he couldn't do the price that I got without tax. I should have declined but with that being said I wish I knew earlier as I would have negotiated the warranty on my Legacy. At the time, I didn't know you could. I think the Legacy was $2600.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was quoted like $2700 by my dealer after the sales manager told the guy to give me a good deal. When I told him what I could get it for, he was shocked but matched minus tax. He told me he couldn't do the price that I got without tax. I should have declined but with that being said I wish I knew earlier as I would have negotiated the warranty on my Legacy. At the time, I didn't know you could. I think the Legacy was $2600.
as for me I was quoted like $2300
$400 of difference...

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have been lucky with all our Subaru so far. Other than the recalls, nothing need repair during warranty period. IMHO, if my vehicle needed more than 2 warranty works under 36k mile, I would sell it and get a new car. At car must been build during the lunch break. I am lucky because I get subaru friend and family discount. Not the best price but I get to order exactly what i want. So the loss of I sell my vehicle privately would be less painful.
Also, I don’t think the extended warranty is good option. If a part breaks during extended warranty period, you may get a rebuild part or aftermarket part. there is no specific line or option in the contract of getting a new oem part. extended warranty is not a manufacturer warranty. It is an insurance. So, insurance company will only pay the min to get your car fixed. The last thing, if you feel there is something wrong during manufacture warranty period. Then it comes back during extended warranty period. Do you question the dealer fixed it right the first time? Or there is a defect in design?

·
Registered
84 Posts
We have been lucky with all our Subaru so far. Other than the recalls, nothing need repair during warranty period. IMHO, if my vehicle needed more than 2 warranty works under 36k mile, I would sell it and get a new car. At car must been build during the lunch break. I am lucky because I get subaru friend and family discount. Not the best price but I get to order exactly what i want. So the loss of I sell my vehicle privately would be less painful.
Also, I don’t think the extended warranty is good option. If a part breaks during extended warranty period, you may get a rebuild part or aftermarket part. there is no specific line or option in the contract of getting a new oem part. extended warranty is not a manufacturer warranty. It is an insurance. So, insurance company will only pay the min to get your car fixed. The last thing, if you feel there is something wrong during manufacture warranty period. Then it comes back during extended warranty period. Do you question the dealer fixed it right the first time? Or there is a defect in design?
You really don't know what you're talking about do you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
You really don't know what you're talking about do you?
What part? The extended warranty is offered by dealers. You have to be repaired by an authorized dealer. If oem new part is not available, it is authorized to use aftermarket part. I have a friend who works for Subaru in Midwest office. Please educate me what part I misspoke.
Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What part? The extended warranty is offered by dealers. You have to be repaired by an authorized dealer. If oem new part is not available, it is authorized to use aftermarket part. I have a friend who works for Subaru in Midwest office. Please educate me what part I misspoke.
Thanks.
First selling a car because of 2 warranty repairs in the 36 months is horrible advice.
Second, the warranties we are talking about are through Subaru, not some BS one offered by dealers. A Subaru dealer isn't going to buy your replacement part from the local Napa.
So yea, you pretty much have no idea what your talking about.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First selling a car because of 2 warranty repairs in the 36 months is horrible advice.
Second, the warranties we are talking about are through Subaru, not some BS one offered by dealers. A Subaru dealer isn't going to buy your replacement part from the local Napa.
So yea, you pretty much have no idea what your talking about.
Thank you for point out.
1 my suggestion to sell a car because it had 2 warranty repairs, that is my opinion. Just don’t trust a car with more multiple repairs under warranty. Opinion is like an @$$hole. Everyone has one.
2 here is the wed site from Subaru.
Subaru may use re-manufactured parts.
I have trouble ordering re-man parts from Subaru dealer. So, the re-man starter may have Subaru case, the inside may not be oem. Please note, the oem timing belt kit from Subaru dealer has some parts not same as the original parts from 2009 when it was built because supplier no longer makes it. I “could” argue it is not oem. I say you are right. All Subaru parts bought from Subaru dealer should consider as oem.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the steering rack fixes the issue, why get rid of it? You will lose a lot of money just to get a 2 year newer car. If you have money to burn and paid cash maybe, but if you are financing you don't have the money to burn. Give it one more chance, every brand has issues. I've never bought an extended warranty and saved more than $30,000 over the years with no regrets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts