5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Would you use a lower Psi (320) power washer on your car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2019 Impreza LTD 5Dr Magnetite Gray Metalic.
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin this discussion, I am fully aware of the dangers of using a full on 1,100 PSI power washer. BUT, I just saw in infomercial for Worx “Powershot”. It’s max PSI is 320. What are everyone’s thoughts on using this for a little more difficult areas or dirtier tasks.

· Registered
719 Posts
Do you want to risk getting water past moisture seals? Are you driving through clay everyday, and need a hammer to clean out your fenders? No? Power washers are designed to clean concrete and brick, nothing else. A simple garden hose will give you all the water pressure you'll ever need to clean your car, and will cause a lot less damage to it.

· Registered
2019 Impreza LTD 5Dr Magnetite Gray Metalic.
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to use the touchless washes for my older cars, which is what I’ve driven for forty years. Being my first Brand new car in those years I was skeptical of using a pressure wash. The Workx that I referenced is low psi but I figured I’d throw the question out there. Right now I’m using a hose with a variable nozzle. But when you get slush and salt and iced up I was looking for something a little stronger to clean the wheel wells.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,747 Posts
If I'm not doing it myself at home with the garden hose and a bucket, I use the drive in place that has the wand. Most I've used have a low pressure spray and when you pull the lever higher pressure. I like this because you can get stuck off bugs on the front with the high pressure when needed. I'm not sure what exact PSI is but 320 sounds on the low side. The amount of force it hits will of course be a lot less as you get further away. Sound like it would be okay if you use it properly. Do you have a link at all?

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,747 Posts
I haven't had an issue with the paint. I also think it's a matter of how you use the wand, don't get super close and hit it on the perpendicular or blast around lenses etc. I like the higher pressure to get wheels and bugs when needed. That looks interesting but TBH, washing by hand with a good mitt and garden hose would do just as well I think. If I got something like that I think I'd use it a couple of times then it would be more trouble than it's worth to clean dry and store it. That's just me though. If my car gets buggy, muddy or salty enough, I just go to the local place that has the wand.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hmm. Some people think that high-pressure pumps may be a bad option for working with the machine. I can give some advice in terms of choosing your sink. When choosing your car wash, you should prefer a device with a collapsible pump. In case of a breakdown that may occur, such a sink is easier to repair without changing the entire pump. And also you should definitely pay attention to the pump. After all, sinks often break down precisely because of this detail. If you can't handle it yourself, then hire professionals with Sparkle Wash Puget Sound.

· Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport
130 Posts
I personally pressure wash my 17 Impreza Sport. I mostly use the self wash at my near by gas station. I haven't had any issue using the pressure washer. I start off with the Pressurized Soap to get it wet and the soap helps loosen and clear off the loose dirt and grim. I bring my own wash bucket, mitt, drying towels, and other cleaning supplies. The gas station hasn't said anything to me for bringing my own things. Also I am pretty quick about it. It also helps that their washers aren't well known so few people actually know about them. So yeah the pressure wash won't do any harm just don't expect it wash off all the grim you will still need to hand wash to get it clean.

· Registered
88 Posts
Simple thing i do when washing with pressure washer .... I have the hand held extension - I hold my other hand in front of the stream and bring it closer and closer - when it starts hurting or feel sharp - that the maximum distance I will use for the car paint ..... for the wheels - if not fancy or painted or ( specially for inside the hub ) i get very close . I have not had issues with pressure washers - but some caution and care regarding distance pressure and nozzles must be in place :)

Enjoy your clean car !!!!!

· Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport
130 Posts
Simple thing i do when washing with pressure washer .... I have the hand held extension - I hold my other hand in front of the stream and bring it closer and closer - when it starts hurting or feel sharp - that the maximum distance I will use for the car paint ..... for the wheels - if not fancy or painted or ( specially for inside the hub ) i get very close . I have not had issues with pressure washers - but some caution and care regarding distance pressure and nozzles must be in place :)

Enjoy your clean car !!!!!
I just watched a video on youtube and took noticed of the different nozzle tips. I had my own pressure washer and there is a nozzle thats used for soap dispensing. That nozzle has the lowest pressure since it allows more water to go through the larger opening as compared to the nozzle that's used for max pressure. I would use the soap dispensing nozzle if you want to be super safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts