5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Would you use a lower Psi (320) power washer on your car

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Impreza LTD 5Dr Magnetite Gray Metalic.
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To begin this discussion, I am fully aware of the dangers of using a full on 1,100 PSI power washer. BUT, I just saw in infomercial for Worx “Powershot”. It’s max PSI is 320. What are everyone’s thoughts on using this for a little more difficult areas or dirtier tasks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do you want to risk getting water past moisture seals? Are you driving through clay everyday, and need a hammer to clean out your fenders? No? Power washers are designed to clean concrete and brick, nothing else. A simple garden hose will give you all the water pressure you'll ever need to clean your car, and will cause a lot less damage to it.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,913 Posts
how much pressure is through a standard self serve car wash? if it is equivalent it shouldn't be a problem
I was thinking the same thing, "touch less" car washes use power washing nozzles so it can't be that damaging to cars.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza LTD 5Dr Magnetite Gray Metalic.
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to use the touchless washes for my older cars, which is what I’ve driven for forty years. Being my first Brand new car in those years I was skeptical of using a pressure wash. The Workx that I referenced is low psi but I figured I’d throw the question out there. Right now I’m using a hose with a variable nozzle. But when you get slush and salt and iced up I was looking for something a little stronger to clean the wheel wells.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
368 Posts
If I'm not doing it myself at home with the garden hose and a bucket, I use the drive in place that has the wand. Most I've used have a low pressure spray and when you pull the lever higher pressure. I like this because you can get stuck off bugs on the front with the high pressure when needed. I'm not sure what exact PSI is but 320 sounds on the low side. The amount of force it hits will of course be a lot less as you get further away. Sound like it would be okay if you use it properly. Do you have a link at all?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
368 Posts
I haven't had an issue with the paint. I also think it's a matter of how you use the wand, don't get super close and hit it on the perpendicular or blast around lenses etc. I like the higher pressure to get wheels and bugs when needed. That looks interesting but TBH, washing by hand with a good mitt and garden hose would do just as well I think. If I got something like that I think I'd use it a couple of times then it would be more trouble than it's worth to clean dry and store it. That's just me though. If my car gets buggy, muddy or salty enough, I just go to the local place that has the wand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts