5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have swapped wheels, did you put in 2017 Impreza TPMS sensors? I'm trying to find out if older Subaru TPMS sensors will work in the Gen 5s. I'm going to be using 2015 Crosstrek wheels for my winter set up and I'm trying to figure out what valve/sensor set up or combination will work.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great questions. As I understand it, not even tire places can reprogram the sensors on this car yet - that requires a trip to the stealer . . .

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is frustrating. I'd love to just have 2 sets of mounted wheels for summer/winter tires, but if I'm going to have to pay dealer mount/balance prices 2x/season, that's going to get pretty costly.

I was trying to find brand new 2017 Impreza TPMS sensors that are reasonably priced, too. Tire Rack's are stupidly expensive, like $100/each!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does anyone know what would happen if you got snow tires and rims without TPMS sensors and put them on? Besides lighting a warning light, does the car do anything more drastic? Is there a fuse that could be removed or a module unplugged that would defeat the TPMS?

Asking for a friend....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does anyone know what would happen if you got snow tires and rims without TPMS sensors and put them on? Besides lighting a warning light, does the car do anything more drastic? Is there a fuse that could be removed or a module unplugged that would defeat the TPMS?

Asking for a friend....
no module or fuse to unplug, all it will do is kick the light on until you put them back on.

Reactions: Edvig and C J

·
Registered
469 Posts
Many folks fix that with a piece of black tape.

Note a few states will fail a car for inspection if the TPMS light is on. If you live in one of those, there might be insurance issues if you don't have a functional system.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=214 is a list of states and TPMS regs.

Reactions: pprknight

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm actually glad my model (in Canada) didn't come with TPMS. I've always kept track of that kind of stuff automatically anyway. And all of my cars have a second set wheels for winter, so that just takes away the extra hassle of trying to figure out the TPMS

·
Registered
187 Posts
The answer is no, went to the dealer today with my snows and rims from my 2014 Impreza on the car. The new sensors are a different frequency. The dealership wanted $135 for new sensors, the service person said to check with tire rack. Called tire rack and have the sensors for $47 each.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is that $135 for 4? Or each? Tire Rack's prices seem super high, too :-/ Maybe it is worth having them transfer the sensors for the first time until some cheaper after-market sensors come out.
Each. Points to the dealer for suggesting Tire Rack instead of trying to hose me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
These things aren't cheap and the batteries are not serviceable; prices haven't fallen much below $50 per unit for most cars (Hondas, for some reason, have less expensive sensors but they aren't interchangeable with other makes). The batteries last about 7-8 years in service, so all of us are looking at at least one replacement cycle if we keep our cars. :surprise:

If you get sensors from TireRack, apparently you have to go to the stealer anyway to get them programmed to the car - each time you change between sets. I haven't heard of any independent who has been able to access the system (the ATEQ tools apparently don't work on the new Impreza). The best answer might be cloning the IDs of your current set (some sensors can be set that way) if the dealer will give you those numbers; then you could switch back and forth without a problem, but again I don't know of anyone who has done that with one of our cars (yet).

Please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The answer is no, went to the dealer today with my snows and rims from my 2014 Impreza on the car. The new sensors are a different frequency. The dealership wanted $135 for new sensors, the service person said to check with tire rack. Called tire rack and have the sensors for $47 each.
This is good to know. My Crosstrek wheels and winter tires went on today. I'll drive with the light on for the winter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Better double-check that price from Tire Rack. They charged me $95 per sensor.

I attached a picture of my order, including winter wheels, TPMS sensors, and a tool to set the sensors to the car's computer.
Mmmm, my email says 2017 Impreza 5 dr Sport 433 MHz sensor, $47 each. They should be here tomorrow or Saturday. If they don’t program Tire Rack will be hearing from me. I’ll get a screen capture later, I’m on my phone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Better double-check that price from Tire Rack. They charged me $95 per sensor.

I attached a picture of my order, including winter wheels, TPMS sensors, and a tool to set the sensors to the car's computer.
Here you go. I've got an appointment for next Friday. Keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it possible to change the sensors from the stock wheels over to a different set? Would you still have to go to the dealer to get them programmed or is it a simple plug n play transfer?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is it possible to change the sensors from the stock wheels over to a different set? Would you still have to go to the dealer to get them programmed or is it a simple plug n play transfer?
Yes, you can do that, you’d have to dismount the tires to get at the sensors every time you wanted to move the sensors from one set of tires to another. Not a cheap thing to do with the potential to damage the sensors every time you swap them. No reprogramming necessary.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Today's install of snow tire / wheels - back to the black tape I go

Stopped by the local Mr. Tire last week and was told they could re-program the TPMS after installing my TireRack wheels and tires. Today's 11/16 install went quickly (too quick it turns out) and the charge was only $15 to program the sensors.

Big fail. Warning light remains off until I unload the summer tires at home and drive off for some errands - I get a flashing light and then solid after about 10 minutes or so. Kinda slow to react huh? Returned to the Mr. Tire shop and had a half hour wait with some observed phone calls and whispers. Desk manager stated that at this time even his just updated equipment can't do the reprogram, they attempted using 2017 and got a "not yet implemented" or some such message. Using 2016 Impreza programming just failed. Refunded my $15.

Passed the dealer on the way home and stopped in just for the adventure. TPMS program charge would be $48 - Mr. Tire would have been a bargain if successful. Oh, and they are so busy with the upcoming holiday that we would be looking at 2 weeks before they could schedule me in.

Black electrical tape has been installed and a support email sent to the ATEQ Quickset folks looking for an update on their progress for supporting our newer Subarus.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts