5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of BRZ wheels and want transfer the TPMS sensors from my Sport wheels to these. One thing I noticed, is that the BRZ came stock with metal clamp on style valve stems, where as the Impreza uses the rubber snap-in style.

Is there any difference in the wheel itself that requires one over the other, or can they accept either?

My gut feeling is that they can take either, but I wanted to get some feedback.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
572 Posts
Sorry for a late reply, I was searching for something else and saw your post. I had a BRZ before getting my Impreza. I also had a second set of Subaru (legacy) wheels for winter. The wheels had the OEM Subaru TPMS sensors. When I talked to my dealer, I found out that the BRZ, being a collaboration between Toyota and Subaru uses the Toyota TPMS system and the TPMS in the wheels would not communicate with the Toyota system in my BRZ. I ended up just putting a little bit of black tape over the area where the TPMS light was in the winter time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for a late reply, I was searching for something else and saw your post. I had a BRZ before getting my Impreza. I also had a second set of Subaru (legacy) wheels for winter. The wheels had the OEM Subaru TPMS sensors. When I talked to my dealer, I found out that the BRZ, being a collaboration between Toyota and Subaru uses the Toyota TPMS system and the TPMS in the wheels would not communicate with the Toyota system in my BRZ. I ended up just putting a little bit of black tape over the area where the TPMS light was in the winter time.
No problem.

After a lot of research, I learned that both the metal sleeved valve stems or the rubber snap in stems will work, it just depends on the TPMS sensor you are using and what look you prefer.

Since I was using the OEM sensors from the stock wheels and those wheels had the rubber snap-in style valve stem, I purchased new ones in that style and installed them myself in the wheel and transferred the sensor over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts