5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I am considering trading in my 2019 Impreza Sport with 1 (no eyesight,advanced safety or sunroof). Love the car but am looking for something that is more future proof (Cx -5 or Cherokee). Subaru emailed me a $17,200 gti trade in value.

- I had aftermarket speakers and amp (below the seat installed) as well as street legal tints.

Has anyone had any issueswith add one like this with a trade in?

Any other tips are appreciated. Please feel free to let me know how dumb it would be to do this.

OTD price was 21k with 2K miles. I owe 18.5k

·
Registered
353 Posts
Trade ins are less of a hassle than private sales, although you'll get less or just about with in Blue Book value for the car. (The dealer has to make money on your trade in.) Some dealers can negotiate, check around at multiple dealers and don't take the first quote. A quick look see at Kelly Blue Book shows the below range for your car. See if you can get a trade for what you owe on it so your payments are direcdtly made to your new vehicle not cutting a loss.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
951 Posts
Those are minor things however they would prefer it stock as possible. No matter how you slice it cars are a bad investment, being upside down does not help. I goes without saying you'd be better off selling it private party but that is a PITA I get that. I don't know how honest or set in stone the GTA is I've never done it myself. I think if the amp/speakers are done well and the tint isn't too extreme it won't matter, just don't expect more because you have it if anything they will ding you for it because they can.

While I get it, it's not the best move, being under water will only make your payments that much worse/ longer if you get a new car. But you know that.

Good luck

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am curious what you mean by "future proof"? ... here in VT a Subaru is about every 3d car on the road and in HIGH demand. Anyone buying a car to drive into the ground DOES NOT want the nanny features nor a sunroof. (anything which would become troublesome)

*) A Jeep is KNOWN to be unreliable...but has a strong following nonetheless and replacement parts are cheep.
*) A Mazda might be harder to sell than Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are minor things however they would prefer it stock as possible. No matter how you slice it cars are a bad investment, being upside down does not help. I goes without saying you'd be better off selling it private party but that is a PITA I get that. I don't know how honest or set in stone the GTA is I've never done it myself. I think if the amp/speakers are done well and the tint isn't too extreme it won't matter, just don't expect more because you have it if anything they will ding you for it because they can.

While I get it, it's not the best move, being under water will only make your payments that much worse/ longer if you get a new car. But you know that.

Good luck
Ideally if I did go this route I would level off the loan with my own money so I am not underwater. Again I know that the smartest thing to do financially.

I could see them singing the sound system if I don’t return it to stock just because they can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am curious what you mean by "future proof"? ... here in VT a Subaru is about every 3d car on the road and in HIGH demand.

A Jeep is KNOWN to be unreliable...but has a strong following nonetheless.

A Mazda might be harder to sell than Mitsubishi.
Greag point! I want to make sure I have enough space (kids, dogs) as I am getting married this year. Outback / forester would also be option.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Jeeps have been known to be reliable over the the past 20 years. IF you get an actual jeep like the wrangler or Cherokee and not a rebranded fiat.

They hold their value slightly better than a Subaru does.

I almost doubled my money on an old wrangler I fixed up, my parents, sister, and in-laws sold their subarus and moved to jeep Cherokee’s a few years ago. They have a couple and other than some slight nitpicks, they have had no issues.

My sister is having another child. They traded in their Cherokee for a new Durango r/t for more room. That thing hauls. And still drives/rides, like a smaller vehicle. It hides its size very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
951 Posts
My sons sell cars. He works at a very big dealership. He's always sending me pics of cars that get traded in and such. He showed me a pic of a newly traded Jeep Wrangler . He said it had crank windows no power locks guess how much. 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport with only 10k miles 32K used!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Jeeps have been known to be reliable over the the past 20 years.
Gee --- Consumer Reports has rated Jeep at the BOTTOM of reliability for more consecutive years than I can count.
Like I said, the only things Jeep (Dodge) has going for it is inexpensive replacement parts and a strong following.

Dont get me wrong - I am a STRONG beleiver in "Life is short, buy the car which makes you happy"

For me, resale value is irrelivent... I buy my cars used and drive them into the ground (scrapyard) This is the cheapest way to own a car because they are paid for when I buy them... the money I DO NOT pay monthly is saved so I can buy my next car with cash.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I’ll repeat my sentiments from the other consumer report thread about the new Imprezas being unreliable and having many issues.

“Consumer report has been irrelevant and inaccurate for years”

That being said, I hate jeep wranglers. I think they are one of the most useless modes of transportation out there. Gets the mpg of a truck and you can’t haul with it.

I was happy to sell mine. Since it was my dd. As a toy they aren’t bad

But they aren’t unreliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
204 Posts
Unless you have extra money and don't want to spend a few hours for a few thousand I cannot find a reason to trade in a car vs selling it to a private party on craigslist.

Also, you paid way too much for that car to begin with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless you have extra money and don't want to spend a few hours for a few thousand I cannot find a reason to trade in a car vs selling it to a private party on craigslist.

Also, you paid way too much for that car to begin with.
I appreciate the input and tend to agree with you on private sale. Now the overpaying part... I got it down to 19,200 before fees and taxes with only 2K miles (basically new at that point) which fit the bill very nicely. I was looking for a CPO with as little miles as possible that had AWD. Now yes, I don’t have all of the safety features but I genuinely don’t think I would use them enough or even miss them too much the more I drive.

open to why you think I overpayed

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got it down to 19,200 before fees and taxes with only 2K miles (basically new at that point) which fit the bill very nicely. I was looking for a CPO with as little miles as possible that had AWD. Now yes, I don’t have all of the safety features but I genuinely don’t think I would use them enough or even miss them too much the more I drive.

open to why you think I overpayed
Well, I'm comparing it to what I paid, which was $16600 for a 2019 base with eyesight and fogs pre-tax in 2019. Eyesight is like $1500 iirc. Fogs are $450 iirc. It had 9 miles on the odo and I got to break it in. Allmost certain the 2k on your were not break in miles but someone just driving it normally.

2k non-break in miles during the break in period and no eyesight, comparatively you paid over 1/4th more for a trim upgrade and a (ab)used car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Gee --- Consumer Reports has rated Jeep at the BOTTOM of reliability for more consecutive years than I can count.
Like I said, the only things Jeep (Dodge) has going for it is inexpensive replacement parts and a strong following.

Yes, Jeep has a TERRIBLE reliability rating, regardless of the model. Anybody who thinks otherwise has their head up their posterior.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You don't have to bully people on the internet who paid a different amount than you for a different trim of the same car
You call this bullying? Boy, I've got some words regarding that that would actually be bullying if I wrote them.

This is a used car with post break in miles bought at new car price.

Current price for 2021 Impreza SPORT is 23k. Couple it with 3.5k off of MSRP and that's 19.5. Call around and that makes it 19k. OP paid 21 for a used car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey everyone,

I am considering trading in my 2019 Impreza Sport with 1 (no eyesight,advanced safety or sunroof). Love the car but am looking for something that is more future proof (Cx -5 or Cherokee). Subaru emailed me a $17,200 gti trade in value.

- I had aftermarket speakers and amp (below the seat installed) as well as street legal tints.

Has anyone had any issueswith add one like this with a trade in?

Any other tips are appreciated. Please feel free to let me know how dumb it would be to do this.

OTD price was 21k with 2K miles. I owe 18.5k
Want something that depreciates like a snail? Buy a 4Runner or a Wrangler. It's ridiculous how much these resale for even being 10 or 15 years old.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts