5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found/installed a trailer hitch to their new Impreza? I talked to a truck accessory shop the other day and they said they had could not find any current hitches for the 2017 Impreza. I am hoping to get one to install a 1upUSA bike rack.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did U-Haul install a hitch that you purchased online? It looks like U-Haul sells basically the same hitch as the Hidden Hitch for about $40 more than online. Their installation price seems reasonable - about $50. I called several mechanics, and nobody seems interested in installing a hitch.

I also thought about buying some of the "Curt Trailer Hitch Support Straps" to help stabilize a bike rack, but I'm worried they'd damage the plastic spoiler on the Sport hatch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yes u-haul did install the hitch.
but I purchased it thru them.
they gave me the hitch for the online price $98.00 not $150.00.

I also was concern with my trunk rack damaging the rear spoiler.
that's why I went with the hitch.
I seen pics. of trunk mounted rack on suv and other hatchback but they all had either no spoiler or was able to go under it,or a smaller one.
also I was worried about the rear window. one report I found someone imploded their rear window on a hatchback.

I also got a Allen bike anti-rattle bolt. for about $7.00 to take most of the looseness of the hitch in the receiver . haven't tried it let.
https://allensportsusa.com/parts/all-hitch-racks-parts/38-inch-no-wobble-bolt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmm, I see an online price of $134.95 for a 2017 Impreza Hatch hitch on U-Haul's site. I wonder if they raised the price? Or did they price-match ETrailer or something?

·
Registered
229 Posts
hitch mounted systems are always the way I go since during times I don't need the rack, with the hitch sticking out a bit it lessens the impact of someone hitting my vehicle or prevents any damage. Living in the city mysterious damage always happens, rather prevent that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
the guy I dealt with price matched e trailer. since I was getting the $98.00 one.
I told him about etrailer's site and he checked t out and made me an offer. which took. for it was a win-win. no shipping. not to worry about getting a damage hitch,
by the way I live in rhode island don't if another would do what he did for me.
probably a slow week for them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the 2017 Premium 5-door model and got a Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch #24886 for puling a small sailboat - maybe 600-750 lb total weight for trailer and boat. Chickened out on doing the hitch install myself but there was no major complaint from my mechanic. I have not gotten the trailer and boat out of the caverns yet so I cannot report on the actual pulling of the rig. I did use a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 for this in the past without issue so I expect no problems as the Impreza is about three or four hundred pounds heavier and has an automatic transmission.

I did do the trailer lighting myself with some much needed assistance from the forum here. I saw no easy way to get the lighting harness power wire through the firewall to the battery as described in the instructions.

Used fuse 27 in the box at lower left of the cabin front for the trailer lighting. The harness instructions for the Tekonsha 118573 had you go direct to the battery with a wire that looked like it could work for Niagara Falls level power but provided a 10 amp fuse for the line. I guess the fuse box can take 10 amps without issue. It sure was a lot easier than getting through the firewall.

Of some note however, the Tekonsha 118573 trailer lighting kit that fit 2012 and later Imprezas, does not fit 2017 models. Part of this 80%-95% all new business has gone all the way down to the tail light socket connections. Big chunky 6 pole to smaller 4 pole to my eye. "Custom" trailer lighting that used those sockets does not mate now. Etrailer site has now revised it's recommendation and indicates there is no custom fit trailer lighting available. If you've made the purchase of this and not opened up the kit see if you can return it for a generic splice-in unit. Going to the dealer may open up the "Thou shalt not pull a trailer with thy Impreza" discussion. Tell em its for extra lights for your bike rack. Subaru owners are known for being eccentric ya know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone else have more pics of tow hitches on the Impreza? Since the car is lower the previous years, how's the ground clearance?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch #24886 A quick eyeball check seems to put it at a level a tad above the rest of the low hanging stuff. The hitch does jut out the rear so you could have a "slope attack angle" issue although my 5-door is some 6+ inches shorter than a sedan; spec says 175.6 to 182.1 That may mitigate that a bit for a 5-door. Nothing has scraped yet. Tape measure at the rear shows 8 1/4 inches up to the bottom of the chain attachment loops and about 1 inch indent in from the bumper face.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the 2017 Premium 5-door model ... the Tekonsha 118573 trailer lighting kit that fit 2012 and later Imprezas, does not fit 2017 models.
I now see that e-trailer has a Curt T-Connector for trailer lighting with a confirmed to fit notation for the 5-door. Use caution as 2017 taillight connection socket do-hickey has evidently changed from the earlier Imprezas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the guy I dealt with price matched e trailer. since I was getting the $98.00 one.
I told him about etrailer's site and he checked t out and made me an offer. which took. for it was a win-win. no shipping. not to worry about getting a damage hitch,
by the way I live in rhode island don't if another would do what he did for me.
probably a slow week for them.
I'm in RI as well and getting ready to get a hitch for my new Impreza. I've used UHaul before to install hitches, but last experience was not great. Which UHaul location did you use?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cumberland just up the road. from McDonalds.
I thought they very good at the install. I talk with the guy who install hitches.
an new about the installation for a Subaru of slightly enlarging the mounting point hole on the car. simply just bolting it on. didn't take to long.
the manager went to go to fall river to get my hitch, was suppose to been there by my install day but for some reason it was sent.

https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trailer-Hitches-near-Cumberland-RI-02864/796061/

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey - it's a 2" receiver too !!

FYI - Torklift updated their listings with a new EcoHitch for the 2017 Subaru Impreza.
I like this hitch. 2" too. A new bike carrier manual stated that the 4 bike load needed the 2".

No drilling your frame to enlarge holes. A bit more than the Curt and my new DrawTite but mounts all tucked up under the bumper and claims to maybe be stainless steel and aluminum alloy - I recommend to call em to check on this if you live in the rust belt. I had a three bike carrier torque off a 1 1/4 after too many years of usage - thank God it was at about 30mph. Your bikes will likely cost quite a bit more than the price difference between this hitch and the others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Drilling?

Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch #24886 A quick eyeball check seems to put it at a level a tad above the rest of the low hanging stuff. The hitch does jut out the rear so you could have a "slope attack angle" issue although my 5-door is some 6+ inches shorter than a sedan; spec says 175.6 to 182.1 That may mitigate that a bit for a 5-door. Nothing has scraped yet. Tape measure at the rear shows 8 1/4 inches up to the bottom of the chain attachment loops and about 1 inch indent in from the bumper face.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you need to enlarge the mounting holes during installation? The installation manual just said "on some model" enlarge is required. I have the 2017 subaru impreza limited which should be very similar to yours in terms of the frame.

Also, I find it hard to find information about the model DT 24886 online, instead when I use the etailer.com and draw-tite.com they both show the model DT 24959 instead. Does it mean 24959 is now a better fit to the impreza than 24886? I'm trying to avoid drilling if possible

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you need to enlarge the mounting holes during installation? The installation manual just said "on some model" enlarge is required. I have the 2017 subaru impreza limited which should be very similar to yours in terms of the frame.

Also, I find it hard to find information about the model DT 24886 online, instead when I use the etailer.com and draw-tite.com they both show the model DT 24959 instead. Does it mean 24959 is now a better fit to the impreza than 24886? I'm trying to avoid drilling if possible
http://www.draw-tite.com/support/installation/N24886.pdf

Thats the one I just had installed. requires widening two holes. Hope that helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed my hitch myself with only a socket wrench by parking the wheels on the curb, Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4 from etrailer. It was a bit difficult to get into place because it required holding the hitch bar plus a washer, lock washer and then fitting the nut. Luckily, my wife helped for a bit. Unfortunately, the manufacturer forgot to factor in the spacer when measuring two of the bolts so I skipped installing the lock washers on those two. While some folks have to lower the muffler, mine fit into place.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed my hitch myself with only a socket wrench by parking the wheels on the curb, Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4 from etrailer. It was a bit difficult to get into place because it required holding the hitch bar plus a washer, lock washer and then fitting the nut. Luckily, my wife helped for a bit. Unfortunately, the manufacturer forgot to factor in the spacer when measuring two of the bolts so I skipped installing the lock washers on those two. While some folks have to lower the muffler, mine fit into place.
Anyone has experience about Curt C11465? Does it require widening the mounting hole? Also the Curt claims it requires the stablizing strap, how bad is it to have a 3-4 bike rack fully loaded? Is it ok to go without the stablizing strap?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Job done!

I finally pull the trigger to order the Draw Tite DT24959 (as it's the model listed on etrailer.com that fit the 2017 impreza hatch) and got it installed myself yesterday

The forward mounting hole in my 2017 Impreza hatch limited is bigger than the rear ones, I was be able to feed the mounting plate thru the front hole so there's absolutely no modification to the frame at all.

I got a ramp to lift the car up so installation was done relatively easy. Took just about an hour to install and don't have to drop the muffler. You'll need to juggle the mount with the tight space between the muffler piping. I slide in left side of the mount to the right of the muffler outlet (look up from underneath) and twist turn it before lifting the right side of the mount (again look up from under) to slide thru the gap between the plastic cover.

I do managed to do this all by myself without an extra person. The mount (~15lbs) was hold up by boxes on both side at approximate position while one hand holding the mount in precise location for bolting and the other hand threading the nut.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts