5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have not been able to find anything on "tuners" for this new platform. I contacted all the main sources like Cobb and even a few others. They all said the same thing, "not doing those right now". But, I have a friend who is big into import tuner racing who races a super fast Evo. I know it isn't a Subaru but kind of like a WRX in the fact that it's AWD, 4 cylinders and turbo. The guy that built his engine and tuned it also tunes WRX's in our area and can do amazing things with these lil engines. He asked his builder over the weekend about this new Impreza and tuning them. He came back today and let me know that as it stands right now we are about a year away from seeing any real "tuners" for this car. But, at least the demand is there and companies like Cobb are starting to work on the software. So, this isn't going to be as fast as we hoped, but at least it may happen. So I am chalking it up to good news...

Reactions: coletrain

·
Registered
74 Posts
So for naturally aspirated subarus, we actually won't see any cobb products for them. Unless they changed their business, they only deal with turboed cars.

The only person i know of that tuned NA subaru impreza was Throttlehappy, and he did this for the 4th gens.

I'm not sure if he will tune the 5th gens, or if the software will be available/compatible with our cars.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure eventually someone will jump on this for us NA guys. The market is there, as there are a bunch of these models out there. I would even like to tune my CrossTrek at some point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Actually, there are people that can tune your Crosstrek now if you wanted.

There isn't much gain on the top end but the torque numbers have improved across the rpm range. Much better response as well from what I heard.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The BRZ also uses the 2.0 engine and makes 200hp, so there may be something left untapped in the Impreza tuning. In addition to tune, the BRZ might have different cams, higher compression ratio, etc so I'm not suggesting a 50hp gain just from reorganizing a few control system electrons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Coming from a stage 2 WRX this isn't the most exciting car out there lol. Hopefully soon someone will come out with a tune, COBB??

·
Registered
857 Posts
But you drove it before buying and knew what you were getting into, right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know I did. I came from a 2009 Civic si.

I tend to like NA more then FI cars, but my si did have 230 whp.

I don't even want that much hp on this car, just a little more umph lol.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the word my friend got was that although Cobb isn't working on the current platform, they will be working on it within the year. of course this is all third party hearsay but we will see. i am not looking for 50hp or even close, i just want to clean up the shift parameters and get a lil more torque. i know this car isn't a rocket ship, but it can be faster...

·
Registered
88 Posts
The BRZ also uses the 2.0 engine and makes 200hp, so there may be something left untapped in the Impreza tuning. In addition to tune, the BRZ might have different cams, higher compression ratio, etc so I'm not suggesting a 50hp gain just from reorganizing a few control system electrons.

Yes the BRZ has basically the same engine as the impreza.
A lot of it is in the cams and the software. We have the same compression ratio as the BRZ 12.5:1

The fact is the impreza wasn't meant to be a "sports car" its mainly a daily commuter that everyone uses. Some of us "pretty much everyone in the forums" is looking for a little extra.

If you look at the way the engine is designed between the two. There are a bunch of similarities. Like the fact most of our exhaust hangers are the same. The engine is self is the same. Really all that's changed is software, cams, intake, exhaust routing. I have the 5 speed sport. I really wish it had a 6 speed seeing as I came from a BRZ down to this. "family reasons for the switch" I enjoyed my BRZ to a point but I missed AWD so much more. Not to mention, I have a 00" 2.5RS as my toy and having two toys didn't make much sense. I've looked at specs and looked at my car on and off the lift for things that would cross reference between both this car and every other subaru that's currently on the road. The thing is at this point. The impreza is the newest chassis that subaru has put out. Nothing much has matched part number wise, or even slightly resembled what's on the new Impreza. You have to realize that 85% of the Impreza changed from the previous gen. So until the new Crosstrek and the WRX and STI come out we are sitting blind. We are making our own path for performance and suspension at this point. Just like the other day I was looking at it. I wondered what a center exhaust exit at the rear bumper would look like on our car.

·
Registered
857 Posts
There is engine tuning for more power and better throttle response available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is engine tuning for more power and better throttle response available.

wait so even though it’s on the XV forum, all the things discussed applies to my base 2.0i Impreza?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes, applicable to 2017 and later Imprezas. Rallisport actually does all the development work on a 2017 Impreza.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am looking to get an Openport and Rallisport tune sometime next year. Can they also tune out the way it starts up when cold? I really don't like that loud tractor noise it makes.

·
Registered
2019 hatchback sport 5 speed manual
27 Posts
im not sure if this has been mentioned, but this guy tunes 2017+ fb20d motors and makes UEL Headers and catbacks and even a turbo kit, he sells different tunes for fixing rev hang, tuning for a turbo, and getting the most out of a stock engine. he really cool and ill probably being buying a tune and the headers from him, best of luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts