5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Turbo Information

32K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  PacoMartin 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just bought a new 2017 Impreza sport it has the 2.0L with no turbo, but I wanted to put one in. I'm new to the Subaru platform with the boxer engine and I wanted to know what you guys think if it's a smart move or not. Also what parts and specs will I need to complete the job if its worth my time and money. Let me know what you think below!!!

#8 ·
Why not just buy a wrx to begin with? ...
You bought a slow car dude, if you wanted a turbo you should have bought a REX.
Man am I tired of reading this. The wrx is an entirely different car intended for an entirely different market.

1. It's not available as a hatchback.
2. It looks ridiculous with its fender flares and aero.

Both are deal-breakers for me. I'm a life-long sports car enthusiast, but I've never had a desire to drive one that's pretending to be a race car.

#5 ·
Hey Guys, I just bought a new 2017 Impreza sport it has the 2.0L with no turbo
That's great my friend and I hope you enjoy your car...just understand that we all have non-turbo cars because Subaru doesn't make a turbo Impreza except in the WRX version.

As as stated above, there are no parts available and may not be for years to come and, even if they do become available, it may be cost prohibitive to perform the upgrade. Did you look at the WRX before buying your car?

Reactions: Scooby
#12 ·
This is going to end up one of those situations where the person adding the power will end up blaming subaru for their own ignorance. “Dear Subaru, your cars are junk because I modified the engine and added more power than it or the cvt transmission can appropriately handle!” The 2.0 liter engine isn’t a power house, isn’t designed to put big numbers out without a lot of heavy modifications from an experienced mechanic/tuner which only comes from deep pockets. True a wrx is a completely different car from the impreza, but if an awd subaru with a turbo is what you are after, either wait for the 2.4 turbos that will take the place of the current 6 cylinder or buy a wrx/sti because I work on these new imprezas every single day and I wouldn’t slap a turbo on one for anything, just asking for problems!

#18 ·
There is a ton of software changes as well so not just a simple hardware swap. Would be a bit cost prohibitive to do IMPO and not sure how you would get access to the software needed to run on your car.

#19 ·
It's certainly not simple, but software is the least of your worries. You swap the whole computer, as well.

The key is the warning hardens, and the fact that the CVT models, and even likely the manual, would not deal with the power and promptly fail.

Really an impossible swap, without massive changes.

You want a turbo subie hatch? Buy the last year they were sold here.

#20 ·
Yea prob not worth it. I'm jst debating keeping the Impreza this summer and seeing if metro can do anything with it or selling it getting the WRX. I like the creeper styling and our new interior over the current STI even so that would be main reason to change things. I don't think Metro has worked on any 17 Impreza's yet and even the 17 STI my friend has only had 265 to the wheels currently when they dynod it. Current gen motor still waiting to hve the power unlocked

#26 ·
Lonely Island made a song about "Creepers"...the video is pretty funny.

on another note, the risk vs reward of adding a turbo to our lil 2.0 wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. while I like people to take the bull by the horns and make something completely different, I just don't think a turbo on our cars is cost effective. must easier to trade for something with more power.

#29 ·
I saw this as well. We don't know how well it holds up though, and I don't want to risk my engine for 40 more hp. Luckily, the crosstrek is basically the same car, and that one needs power even more..meaning a bigger demand. Also, far more people like the crosstreks more than the Impreza, so the following for that would be much higher. What I'm saying is that as more and more people buy them, there will be a bigger demand and thus more options available for us. None of the last gen upgrades work for the new platform, so it's just a waiting game. I'm hoping that the new global platform will truly be "global" and you can swap pieces to and from each model. So far it really looks like it, with the new Forrester and Accent interiors looking extremely similar to ours. It would be awesome if you can swap engines with minimal effort, and I would put the accents new 2.4-liter turbo in my Impreza if it is easy. I mean even the dash assembly looks the same...

#30 · (Edited)
I've been in the Import tuning scene since the 90's before Fast and Furious every was popular, and have never heard of the term "creeper" utilized. "Sleeper", but never creeper.

I feel when some vehicle is creeping, they are scoping out the scene before doing a drive by....:p

Regarding the OP question, don't do the bolt on turbo route. You will be spending the bulk of your time trying to tune the car and fixing misc. gremlins that will spring up when you most need the vehicle. Buy the WRX if you want a force induction vehicle, or wait for Subaru to release a hatch turbo. My best advice is to enjoy the car for what it is.... that is a new reliable daily commuter.

#52 ·
..., or wait for Subaru to release a hatch turbo.
I realize this thread ended over 4 years ago.

It is my understanding that the WRX has only been a sedan version since MY2015 when it was officially detached from the Impreza car. Torque news just suggested that the poor sales for the WRX in 2022 could be improved by releasing a hatch version. Subaru has made it clear that they are not considering a hatchback WRX.

#44 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.