5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have the car in drive and the headlight selector knob is all the way down in the circle icon, the highbeams are still on. While this would be fine with halogens, I just recently replaced them with some LED's that blind other drivers even during the day. I was thinking of installing a switch that would turn off the highbeams, but I'm wondering if there are less invasive options. Thank you!

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Sport Tech 4-Door, 2020 Legacy GT and 2007 H6 LL Bean
29 Posts
If you high beams are on, pull the left light stalk back.

DRL are designed to be low intensity. If you're blinding someone and your lights are not on, check your circuit wiring. DRL on some models use a completely different power circuit.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
196 Posts
@Gerry In The 6ix our cars use a PWM driver to run the DRLs, which causes the light to "flash". Some LED upgrade kits include capacitors to smooth this out and create a steady voltage which is very high, and that causes the LEDs to run at the "high beam" intensity always. There is no known way on these cars to make LEDs play nice as DRLs.

You can disable the DRL using some relays but its quite a hassle. Or convince your dealer to reprogram your BCM as a Sport which has the DRLs seperate. Mine refused, I just kept halogens in the high beams since I pretty much never use them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not tried them yet as I have other projects going on but Morimoto released a 2stroke led light which reduces the light intensity when it sees a lower voltage for use in the case when the DRL and high beam are the same light.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
196 Posts
The problem is our cars don’t use lower voltage, they use PWM 12v (iirc)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that that is solved by any number of PWM interface modules. I know the toyota and lexus folks are solving this problem in a number of ways as they have the similar issue

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you high beams are on, pull the left light stalk back.

DRL are designed to be low intensity. If you're blinding someone and your lights are not on, check your circuit wiring. DRL on some models use a completely different power circuit.
I think his issue is that the lack of a cutoff means that even in DRL mode, the LED's he put in are blinding oncoming drivers (and is probably pulsating, too, making it just THAT much more annoying). So, yes, the solutions are twofold; 1) Put a disable switch in to disable your high beams completely (and remember to turn them back on in the night), or 2) Just rum with your low-beams on. Will the DRL turn off if you just turn on your parking lights? That might be another solution...

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
196 Posts
@theKlinkerbell possibly - but I'd think its down to the LED driver in the LED bulbs to support such a thing. I'd love to switch out my Highbeam/DRLs with LEDs but I don't want to blind anyone. Can you perhaps link me to where that was being discussed on Toyota/Lexus forums?

@Alex_Rochester
DRLs are on with parking lights only as well.
The issue is either or. If you try to fix the pulsing by using capacitors, you get "high beam" mode LEDs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts