5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago, I posted about a burning smell coming from my engine on my '17 Impreza Sport.

Took me a little while to find it, but turns out it was a cam carrier leaking onto the exhaust, causing that burning smell.

Only found out because I took it to my local mechanic rather than the dealer I've been taking it to for recalls - and we found it rather quickly once it was up on the lift.

P.S. If you are in the Los Angeles area, do NOT do business with Sierra Subaru in Monrovia. It turns out they tried to "temporarily" seal it from the outside, then gave the car back to me claiming that nothing was wrong. This is the same dealer that broke my oil pan trying to do a simple oil change. Mind you, the powertrain warranty on our cars ends at 60k, and I'm currently at 58,600. If anything, my dealer and I were suspicious that they were trying to get me to cross that marker and then charge me for the repair once the warranty was up.

Thankfully, my Impreza is now at another Subaru dealer who took it in with no questions asked, and are literally taking the engine out to reseal everything (aka, doing it the right way). Been driving a 2020 Crosstrek Hybrid as a loaner in the meantime...fairly nice car!

Which brings me to my second topic: the 60k service. As I mentioned, I'm already at 58,600 miles. I figured while the dealer already has my car, I would have them do the "necessities" for the 60k service. I do all the basic things myself - oil change, tire rotation, engine/cabin air filters, but according to Subaru, the 60k service is the following:

• Replace engine oil, filter and drain plug washer
  • Inspect and adjust all drive belts to factory specifications
  • Inspect and ensure cooling fan is operating within factory specifications
  • Replace transmission fluid with Subaru High Performance Fluid*
  • Check to ensure air conditioning and heating systems are operating within factory specifications
  • Rotate tires, inspect tread wear and check and adjust tire pressure as needed
  • Perform brake system inspection; pads and/or drums, lines, hoses and fluid
  • Inspect suspension system and steering components to ensure factory specifications
  • Service battery, clean terminals, install anti-corrosion pads and check battery condition
  • Inspect wiper blades and linkage operation
  • Lubricate all door, trunk and hood latches and hinges if needed
  • Inspect exhaust system and heat shields
  • Replace front and rear differential fluid
  • Inspect radiator and cooling system
  • Replace engine coolant and test protection levels
  • Adjust emergency brake to within factory specifications as needed
  • Replace air filter element
  • Inspect steering operation, tie rod ends and steering rack guides per factory specifications
  • Inspect all engine and transmission mounts
  • Inspect and adjust all fluid levels as needed
  • Check all interior and exterior lighting operation
  • Replace brake fluid
  • Replace spark plugs(as needed, platinum/iridium spark plugs parts higher, H-6 & Turbo engines additional labor)*
  • Install premium motor oil conditioner (dealer recommended)*
  • Install premium fuel additive (dealer recommended)*
  • Factory trained technician to conduct road test
The ONLY things I am looking to get done are the ones that I bolded and underlined. I need to double check what they did for my 30k service, as I also didn't have them do every single thing listed under the 30k service recommendation, only what I thought was essential.

It looks like spark plugs are one of the main things to get done. Is there anything else I may have missed from that list?

·
Registered
121 Posts
your story doesn’t surprise me at all. My car was leaking oil like a wet paper bag, and that was only at 15K miles. I traded it in thankfully, but my horrible dealership who couldn’t fix the simplest of problems wanted to pull the engine and reseal everything. These cars seem to be very poorly sealed from the factory.
good luck with your 60K mike service.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
Sorry to hear your issues around the first topic.

As for the second topic. At 60K I do pretty much exactly what you are doing . Meaning I do everything I can then let the dealer do things I either don't have time to or don't think I can do as well. I do the spark plugs myself though, It's not hard just takes a little while depending on the car. I've done the job on most Subaru motors before with the exception of my BRZ, I traded before it needed plugs. My understanding is you needed to lift to motor to get to them :( I just did them again on my wife's 2013 Outback. Most of the time you only need to remove the air-box to gain access to the passenger side. It's not a walk in the park but like I said doable. It's pretty expensive to have the dealer do.

I think having the brake fluid replaced and bled is a very good idea too.

I also don't mind doing the rear diff but TBH I like to leave some things for the dealer to do to keep up a relationship with them in the event I need some warranty work done. I'm lucky in that even though my local (2 miles away) dealership has changed hands 3X in my 20+ years here, the service department has for the most part stayed the same and they are a good bunch of guys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts