5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New here. I wasn't sure whether to post under the existing topic started in 2017 or start a new one. I opted for new since I have info. Sorry if this was wrong.
I purchased a 2018 Subaru Impreza sport in May 2018. In November, I took a trip and parked in long term airport parking. Upon my return, I had a dead battery. At that time, I thought perhaps I'd left something on and it was my fault. 6 months later, I had the same issue after the car sat for a week. I took it to Subaru, who said the battery was defective and replaced it. I thought everything was good till it started happening again. I made another appointment and just got back from the dealership.

They said the battery was testing good, but needed a charge. They tried to charge it and it wouldn't hold a charge. So, less than a year after getting a new battery, I got another new battery.

I had a heart to heart private convo with my guy at Subaru and under strict "don't rat me out for telling you this" confidentiality, this is what I found out. First, there is currently a class action lawsuit about this same issue, but it only includes 2016-2020 Outbacks and 2019-2020 Ascents. The law firm handling the case is Girard Sharp and they can be reached at 866-981-4800.

My friend at the dealership, who I'm calling SG, for "Subaru Guy" told me the main issue is that Subaru's batteries are too small/weak. I don't know what this means. I'm not a car person. SG said that with each passing year, the computer system gets more sophisticated and battery draining systems are constantly running and testing. If the car sits for 4 days or longer, it's likely not going to start. He said that the problem is escalating due to Covid-19. Since people are staying home and letting their cars sit for longer periods, they're getting overrun with this battery drain problem. Corporate, of course, is telling them to hush it up.

SG says corporate is now telling them to tell customers that in order to help the issue, everyone should lock their vehicle using their key fob (this is assuming you have electronic start and keyless entry) instead of using the lines on the door handle and CLICK THE LOCK BUTTON ON THE FOB THREE TIMES. Pressing it 3 times will shut down some of the systems and prevent them from constantly testing and draining the battery. He told me that the people he's given this new instruction to have not complained since, but this is still a very new 'fix', so there's no hard data.

I then asked him what I should do for a long term solution, since apparently Subaru is not going to help me. He told me what he suggests is a stronger battery. He suggested that I replace the battery on my own before May of next year so that it's still in warranty. He said to do it 'after business hours' so that I can claim I couldn't take it in for service and had no choice but to purchase a new one at Auto Zone or whatever company. Then, he gave me a corporate number to call to both issue a complaint about my problem and also to call after I purchase the new battery and he said they will refund my purchase price. The number I was given is 1-800-subaru3. He said he truly believes if I get a better battery that the problem will go away.

I wanted to share all this info because I know there are lot of frustrated people out there just like me. I cannot vouch for the veracity of any of the info, so tear it up if I was fed a load of hogswallow. It sounds reasonable to me, but I'm a dolt when it comes to cars. I plan to call the law firm handling the class action to ask if they suggest any recourse for those of us not owning an outback or ascent. It sounds like there may be many more complaints coming in.

If anyone has any questions for me, please feel free to ask. As I said, I'm nobody. Just a frustrated retired widow on her own with an unreliable car.

Regards,

Polly

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,913 Posts
Welcome Polly and thanks for the info. I don't remember have a TON of people with this problem but we have had a few.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Impreza 50th Anniversary Limited
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

New here. I wasn't sure whether to post under the existing topic started in 2017 or start a new one. I opted for new since I have info. Sorry if this was wrong.
I purchased a 2018 Subaru Impreza sport in May 2018. In November, I took a trip and parked in long term airport parking. Upon my return, I had a dead battery. At that time, I thought perhaps I'd left something on and it was my fault. 6 months later, I had the same issue after the car sat for a week. I took it to Subaru, who said the battery was defective and replaced it. I thought everything was good till it started happening again. I made another appointment and just got back from the dealership.

They said the battery was testing good, but needed a charge. They tried to charge it and it wouldn't hold a charge. So, less than a year after getting a new battery, I got another new battery.

I had a heart to heart private convo with my guy at Subaru and under strict "don't rat me out for telling you this" confidentiality, this is what I found out. First, there is currently a class action lawsuit about this same issue, but it only includes 2016-2020 Outbacks and 2019-2020 Ascents. The law firm handling the case is Girard Sharp and they can be reached at 866-981-4800.

My friend at the dealership, who I'm calling SG, for "Subaru Guy" told me the main issue is that Subaru's batteries are too small/weak. I don't know what this means. I'm not a car person. SG said that with each passing year, the computer system gets more sophisticated and battery draining systems are constantly running and testing. If the car sits for 4 days or longer, it's likely not going to start. He said that the problem is escalating due to Covid-19. Since people are staying home and letting their cars sit for longer periods, they're getting overrun with this battery drain problem. Corporate, of course, is telling them to hush it up.

SG says corporate is now telling them to tell customers that in order to help the issue, everyone should lock their vehicle using their key fob (this is assuming you have electronic start and keyless entry) instead of using the lines on the door handle and CLICK THE LOCK BUTTON ON THE FOB THREE TIMES. Pressing it 3 times will shut down some of the systems and prevent them from constantly testing and draining the battery. He told me that the people he's given this new instruction to have not complained since, but this is still a very new 'fix', so there's no hard data.

I then asked him what I should do for a long term solution, since apparently Subaru is not going to help me. He told me what he suggests is a stronger battery. He suggested that I replace the battery on my own before May of next year so that it's still in warranty. He said to do it 'after business hours' so that I can claim I couldn't take it in for service and had no choice but to purchase a new one at Auto Zone or whatever company. Then, he gave me a corporate number to call to both issue a complaint about my problem and also to call after I purchase the new battery and he said they will refund my purchase price. The number I was given is 1-800-subaru3. He said he truly believes if I get a better battery that the problem will go away.

I wanted to share all this info because I know there are lot of frustrated people out there just like me. I cannot vouch for the veracity of any of the info, so tear it up if I was fed a load of hogswallow. It sounds reasonable to me, but I'm a dolt when it comes to cars. I plan to call the law firm handling the class action to ask if they suggest any recourse for those of us not owning an outback or ascent. It sounds like there may be many more complaints coming in.

If anyone has any questions for me, please feel free to ask. As I said, I'm nobody. Just a frustrated retired widow on her own with an unreliable car.

Regards,

Polly
Thanks for that info. My 2018 Impreza (50th Anniversary) battery went out at the 13-month point. The dealer acknowledged that the original battery was too small. He installed a new battery, one with a larger capacity. Nine months later and no problems yet. I'm not holding my breath. As an aside, I hate the CVT. This is my fourth Subaru. Since I got my first one 31 years ago, I've only been without a Subaru for three years (2015-2018). The decline in quality in this car is disgusting. From a long-time Subaru lover/advertiser to a 'never again' person.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Polly and thanks for the info. I don't remember have a TON of people with this problem but we have had a few.
Thanks, CJ. while researching it I actually found posts all over the place, but had to choose a forum to post the info. This one looked like a good one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info. My 2018 Impreza (50th Anniversary) battery went out at the 13-month point. The dealer acknowledged that the original battery was too small. He installed a new battery, one with a larger capacity. Nine months later and no problems yet. I'm not holding my breath. As an aside, I hate the CVT. This is my fourth Subaru. Since I got my first one 31 years ago, I've only been without a Subaru for three years (2015-2018). The decline in quality in this car is disgusting. From a long-time Subaru lover/advertiser to a 'never again' person.
My guy didn't indicate a larger battery was even an option at Subaru. Good for you for getting a bigger battery! That also lends credence to what my guy told me. For now I'm trying the press lock button 3x on the fob. We'll see how that works. This is my first Subaru. It's definitely soured me a little.

·
Registered
2017 Impreza 5DR Limited (CVT) w/ES & NAV
37 Posts
As an older retired guy, my '17 limited sits quite a bit. When I pull into the garage, I pop the hood and connect a battery tender to it. Never had a problem with a dead battery, probably because the battery tender compensates for any parasitic losses. If / when i need a new battery, I'll change it out for a larger amp-hour one. That is, assuming I keep the car...

·
Registered
97 Posts
More than once my Impreza has been sitting in the garage for hours with engine off minding its own business when I would hear a buzzing sound. At first I thought it was coming from outside, but then I remembered a post here about the vapor canister. After several minutes the buzz would stop. There is a battery drainage issue right there.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
112 Posts
Interesting info, thanks for posting. I drive mine daily, but may start doing the 3-blips-on-the-keyfob thing if it truly does shut down some extra electrical systems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thats why I bought my new 2019 Impreza base hatchback manual transmission...

No keyless or pushbutton crap to break, not to mention expensive CVT failures in the future.

I love my Subaru for what it is a base model stripper.

·
Registered
2019 impreza Sport
2 Posts
We had the same issue with the original battery (2019 Impreza) AAA guy came, jumped the car and stated he has calls all the time from Subaru owners. He said the original battery is junk. Went to the dealership and a salesperson said it happened to her Mom's Subaru car. She found out the same solution - new stronger battery (not Subaru brand). Problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the same issue with the original battery (2019 Impreza) AAA guy came, jumped the car and stated he has calls all the time from Subaru owners. He said the original battery is junk. Went to the dealership and a salesperson said it happened to her Mom's Subaru car. She found out the same solution - new stronger battery (not Subaru brand). Problem solved.
2019 Impreza Sport owner here also dealing with these issues. Just wondering exactly which battery/brand you replaced with?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I never really had issues with my oem battery. However, there were a few times where I accidentally left one of the overhead lights on overnight and the car wouldn't start in the morning. I replaced it with an Optima Yellowtop deep cell battery and couldn't be happier with the results. There have been a few times since installing the new battery that I've left an overhead light on overnight and the car has started no problem everytime.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As a FYI...I replaced the Subaru OEM battery with a X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 35 Car and Truck Battery made by Northstar. Excellent battery.

Dealers are a waste of time and good air.

Side note...I put a optima yellowtop in a Honda Clarity PHEV... excellent battery as well.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
100 Posts
I never really had issues with my oem battery. However, there were a few times where I accidentally left one of the overhead lights on overnight and the car wouldn't start in the morning. I replaced it with an Optima Yellowtop deep cell battery and couldn't be happier with the results. There have been a few times since installing the new battery that I've left an overhead light on overnight and the car has started no problem everytime.
Did you also buy a hubb cleaning station for that filter, or know someone with one? I looked into them but it wasn't practical due to space and frequency of filter changes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Did you also buy a hubb cleaning station for that filter, or know someone with one? I looked into them but it wasn't practical due to space and frequency of filter changes.
Why not just buy a great quality replaceable filter and call it a day? The WIX XP is less that $8 and is one of the most highly rated filters for our cars. You can also by them at NAPA. Besides looks in the engine bay, it appears to be a waste of money and having to have a special tool to clean it is a non starter. To each their own but this is an Impreza and not a Porsche.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
100 Posts
Why not just buy a great quality replaceable filter and call it a day? The WIX XP is less that $8 and is one of the most highly rated filters for our cars. You can also by them at NAPA. Besides looks in the engine bay, it appears to be a waste of money and having to have a special tool to clean it is a non starter. To each their own but this is an Impreza and not a Porsche.
There's an implication in your post that I am not buying a great quality replaceable filter and calling it a day. I'm interested in the scenario regarding which my question is posed. Your question would be better suited to the person who has the hubb filter...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts