5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just upgraded to a 2018 Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon with 30K. Love the car. Upgraded from a 2013 Subaru Impreza premium wagon. Both 5 speed. Why they didn't add a sixth gear to improve the fuel efficiency I can't figure out. But it is what it is. The car is a real improvement in so many ways. Touch points, car play, etc. But I have one complaint, and I'm not sure if its an issue with my car or just with the nature of this model.

The thing vibrates. Sometimes my rear view mirror is blurry because it vibrates. I feel it in the steering wheel, gas peddle (even though electronic), the handbrake, and steering wheel. My coffee cup rattles sometimes. I took it back to the service center and they rebalanced the weights on the tires. They indicated that one of the weights fell off but I still feel it. I feel it in my bum. My passengers think I'm crazy, The frame is way stiffer on this car. The sport suspension I'm assuming is less forgiving. But I didn't expect it to vibrate this much. And get this poor fuel economy on the highway, but can't have it all.

Does anyone else experience this? I've checked suspension, strut towers, shocks for leaks, bushings in control arms. They all seem fine. The wheels and tires are new. Engine and transmission mounts seem fine. Is it just the car and I have to get used to it.

For a car so damn smooth you'd think it wouldn't vibrate! Are there any recommendations for this? It's really driving me up the wall.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine vibrates lightly too. I can't think of any way to fix it, but I'm used to it since my old car vibrated the same way too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does it vibrate at idle or when you are moving, or both? I have the 2019 Sport Hatchback CVT and I never have any problem with vibration, neither at rest nor on the move.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
287 Posts
Something is wrong, it shouldn't do that. Test drive one at the dealer and compare.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,174 Posts
What's your tire pressure?
I was thinking the same thing, more often than not, for some unknown reason the dealer really puts too much pressure in the tires. Look in the drivers side door and set the tire pressure to that setting. Don't go by the max pressure on the tire, that's not the correct setting. Check the pressure when the tires are cold like first thing in the AM.

If that's not the issue the next thing to look at is tire balance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
NOT NORMAL. With the limited information you have provided, it sounds like WHEEL BALANCE.... but more details would be helpful.

You need to ascertain if the vibration is related to engine, drivetrain, wheel rotation... or something else. Also check if the vibration changes with road-brakes, parking-brakes, acceleration, deceleration, bumpy-roads, steering different directions...etc

Once you have gatherd this information, you should be able to isolate the source of the vibration. This will help in determining a resolution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the tire pressure is about 45. I dont know why the dealer set it to same. Very strange. I already had the tires balanced as a result of complaining.
It only does same at certain speeds, and under load. Usually between 2500 and 3000 RPM in higher gears. During braking you feel the car 'pulsing' which is new for me...

·
ModFather
1,174 Posts
So the tire pressure is about 45. I dont know why the dealer set it to same. Very strange. I already had the tires balanced as a result of complaining.
It only does same at certain speeds, and under load. Usually between 2500 and 3000 RPM in higher gears. During braking you feel the car 'pulsing' which is new for me...
That pressure is too high, I'm not at my car but I think it's like 33 / 32 or similar to that. The door placard will have the proper pressure. The pulsing is that when you lightly touch the brakes or do you think its' the ABS kicking in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pulsing is at any speed I hit the brakes. The car is CPO. I've had warped rotors before. It doesn't feel like that, but Im not an expert. Is there a way to tell without popping the wheel off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the tire balance a week ago. Going to lower the tire pressure tonight. Going to make an appointment to ask about the rotors, but I'm kinda pissed cause you know they are going to tell me the rotors is my fault. Its been two weeks since I bought it.

None of the rims are noticeably bent.

·
ModFather
1,174 Posts
In my experience, brake judder seems like a forgone conclusion with almost every subaru I've owned. I don't know if it's the OEM pad material or the rotors. I'm not going to rule out my driving style either though. Eventually I get aftermarket rotors and pads. For my daily drivers I get brembo blanks most of the time, I also like cryo treated rotors if I can get them. Warped may be too strong of a word this is what usually is happening

THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT WARPED BRAKE ROTORS..

If you've only had it a few weeks, did you get it from a dealer? Did they give you any sort of warranty?

A bent wheel might not appear bent but is. Sadly I've got some direct experience in this department. A tell tale indication the wheel is bent is a bunch of wheel weights in one spot on the wheel. Look inside the wheel too where it's not as easy to see. A way to diagnose a bent wheel is to move the fronts to the back.

I bought a second set of wheels for snows. When I was cleaning up the wheels one of them had a small pyramid of wheel weights I removed. I brought the wheels to the tire store to have new snows put on. When I picked them up a, the tec said one of them was slightly bent. He said he did the best he could to balance it but best to put in on the rear. In the end I had it straightened. The repair was so good when it was re balanced, it didn't need any weights.

Reactions: tzd

·
Registered
117 Posts
Op, you didn't mention how HARD your hitting the brakes only the speed...

Try being at speed and lightly touch the brakes till they drag. Have your windows down, be in a tunnel ect.... Pulse pulse pulse they're warped. Use the ebrake (gently) if you hear it only then, it's the REAR brakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did everything, it just seems to vibrate heavy when engine is under load at 2000-3000 RPMS. Higher than that we're fine. I feel it in the steering wheel during long sweeping turns. Is there a way to turn off the vectoring?

·
ModFather
1,174 Posts
Makes me wonder if something's up with your half shafts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Since you feel it while turning could it be wheel bearings? Has this been resolved yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No it has not. I just got busy with work.
I have two issues: 1) the place i bought the car from is an hour from home. 2) the local dealership told me to take it to the place i bought it from despite being under warranty.
Excuses I know.

Even today while I was driving my coffee cup was shaking. Sometimes its more pronounced than other times. This weekend I drove the car and it shook like I had something in the tire. I stopped, got out, turned off the car, found nothing, but the sound went away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts