5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't use the Subaru voice command system while using apple CarPlay. Is this deliberate?

When my iPhone is hard connected with USB both long and short presses of the steering wheel button bring up Siri.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same issue. Initially I thought the voice command could be activated by long press and Siri could be activated by short press but pressing the button the steering wheel in this manner didn't seem to help. I need to spend more time to figure this out. It's not my daily car until I get the windows tinted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't even use android auto because of how bad it seems to be. Sure navigation is great to have on screen there but I can't seem to use voice commands, play music through Youtube or USB (I have to use an approved android auto app that plays music like spotify) and after all of that it seems very glitchy. Oh well I wasn't huge on the whole android auto thing in the first place lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think this needs to be fixed by Subaru.

We should be able to use CarPlay and send voice command to the car.

I wonder how we can ask this to Subaru.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't even use android auto because of how bad it seems to be. Sure navigation is great to have on screen there but I can't seem to use voice commands, play music through Youtube or USB (I have to use an approved android auto app that plays music like spotify) and after all of that it seems very glitchy. Oh well I wasn't huge on the whole android auto thing in the first place lol.
what exactly are you trying to do on the voice command that you don't want to do with google voice. only time i use a voice command is for a GPS destination or if i am calling someone

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what exactly are you trying to do on the voice command that you don't want to do with google voice. only time i use a voice command is for a GPS destination or if i am calling someone
You can't use google voice or Siri to change radio stations, satellite channels, or cabin temperature, etc...

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
It seems to me that you guys are asking more of the system that what it was designed for.

It also seems to me that many of the infotainment system problems are when someone connects it via wire to their phone. Maybe this isn't a Subaru problem but software/phone problems? I don't know....I haven't connected my phone via wire yet. I don't really see the need. I have more than a thousand songs on a usb stick drive and my phone connects via bluetooth for everything I need.

The car is doing what I need it to do I guess.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Google wants to HELP you

What exactly are you trying to do on the voice command that you don't want to do with Google voice? ...
How about tune the FM radio to a new station?

When using Android Auto, tapping the right-hand screen button & selecting "Return to Subaru", returns to the default operation of the head unit. However, then pressing the voice button on the steering wheel, immediately reactivates Android Auto, which enters the Google Voice mode.

Dumb. I blame this on Google. Once you select "Return to Subaru", it should take a screen press on the Android Auto app screen button, to start up again.

Instead, it's more of this "let me help you" nonsense.:frown2:

Another example of Google not really believing in diversity. :grin2:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Android Auto

It seems to me that you guys are asking more of the system that what it was designed for.

The car is doing what I need it to do, I guess.
That's like saying "The light bulb thread" is unimportant because you only drive in the daytime. :grin2:

You do have a point about the software, however. With rear camera screens now mandated in all new cars, Android Auto (& CarPlay) are going to get a HUGE increase in exposure in the next year. There are going to be growing pains.

While I like Android Auto, there are enough little nuisances with it, that I probably won't connect the phone via USB unless I need the map (or want to play). The Subaru phone/message selection menu with just the Bluetooth connection, is superior to the one in Android Auto, in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts