5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard time deciding between the Golf TSI Wolfsburg, Golf Sportwagen SE, and the Impreza Sport.
At the end of the day, I read that Eyesight seems to be better than VW's equivalent, and preferred the extra passenger space of the Subaru. I don't really care about all wheel drive at all, to be honest. Stability/traction control + decent tires has been quite adequate for me in the winter.

Here's what VW does better:
  • Engine - definitely has more power. Accelerates without having to hit high RPMs
  • Transmission - more direct-drive feeling. The CVT is smooth, but unpredictable. The fake-stepped behavior under high acceleration is annoying.
  • User Interface Consistency
  • Handling - It just corners better, feels more confident. Steering wheel returns to center.
  • Cargo Volume (Sportwagen) - Could almost fit in a twin-size bed with the seats down
  • Rear armrest/ski through-hole
  • Rear air vents

What Subaru does better:
  • Eyesight - VW seems to get pretty bad reviews with their Driver Assist package. Additionally, it is order-only, which means a several month lead time to get this feature. It is also not available on the TSI.
  • Rear cross-traffic alert
  • Lane Keep assist
  • Hitch - Same hitch mount from the previous generation. Golfs require some strange Ecohitch that is expensive and invasive to install.
  • USB Ports - Has two, and both are fairly easily accessible. The Golf is in a really tight, hard to see spot. Pulling out the USB cord pulled out the entire dash housing on a test-drive!
  • Interior Styling - Infotainment screen, vents, etc all look new and modern. VW looks a bit dated. 2018 Golf will look much like the Impreza.
  • Depreciation
  • Rollaway cargo cover (the TSI doesn't have this, but the Sportwagen does)
  • Passenger comfort/space

I'm pretty happy with the Impreza, but I'm finding lots of annoyances with turning the car on/off, and default behaviors, though. I don't recall how the VW behaved, but I suspect it was in a much more refined way. Examples: Homelink doesn't work with car off. Can't close moonroof with car off. However, windows can close? Radio starts playing at start-up, and at shut-down if you were listening to a different source (USB drive, Android Auto). The Starlink Android app is a complete piece of garbage. Most of this is fix-able with software updates. Hopefully they continue to support/fix it. It seems to have OTA/wi-fi upgrade support, so I look forward to getting some updates.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Drive a 5 door Sport

Agree with such of what you said, having driven both, but the 2.0 Sport is far more stable and predictable than the Sportwagons mentioned.

It's also less jarring, and is far more modern a design.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps it felt more predictable to me because I was coming from a Golf TDI. Do you mean less jarring of a ride, or appearance?
I agree, the Impreza is definitely more modern looking. The '17 Golf is looking a bit dated. Part of me appreciates the austerity & simplicity in the exterior design of the regular TSI, but it kind of gets lost once the cargo area is extended and it looks a bit ... soulless... in the Sportwagen.

I did just try putting skis in the back - and I think I'm really going to miss that ski pass-through hole in the Golf. Now it seems like my option is throwing $700 of roof rack gear on the top to carry my $200 skis just so 4 passengers can sit comfortably.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did notice on a recent test drive of the Sport that the RPMs were revving pretty high before it shifted gears; close to 4000. And I wasn't pushing it either. I was surprised by this and so was my friend as we drove it. I thought they stepped the CVT so this would not be the case. Any thoughts or experience with this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the RPMs in my sport (CVT) though I've only had it for a week. I did however constantly have issues with my 2007 VW Rabbit, however, that was more with rev hanging. It wasn't until after I changed the air intake in the VW that my issues went away. Unfortunately, I had countless electrical issues in my VW and I was meticulous about keeping it clean and well taken care of. This was one of the main reasons why I didn't stick with VW. I (gasp) even ditched manual transmission.

I have always been a huge fan of the VW's more simple interiors but I was pleasantly surprised with the sport's interior. It's modern, but not over the top for me so that was a win. I've always been a little more concerned about (rear) passenger room than cargo room, but in all cases I can sit in the back with the front seats all the way back and my knees don't touch (if it can pass this test then I know rear passenger room won't be an issue because I'm 6'3").

As far as skis go we're in a similar situation too! Two people will just have to scrunch in the back. Ultimately, we will get a roof rack for my wife's Forester. We do a lot of biking too and I know at this point I don't want to throw a dirty mountain bike in the back of my new car (even on top of a blanket).

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
My father in law was a VW guy since the 1960s, he swore by them, they were the only car he would purchase. In the 80s his VWs started developing little electronic gremlins that the dealer could never fix (kind of sounds like Subaru now), he got rid of a VW because of the problems and got another brand new one, still more electronic gremlins.

It was during that time that I got my first Subaru, he got in it, checked it out and drove it and was hooked. He has now had 4 brand new Subarus since that time and he swears by them.

My father has been an AUDI guy since the 70s and is starting to get upset by the electronic problems with AUDI.

I don't think that Subaru realizes how these infotainment problems could push people away from the brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will not own a V.W.

I had a auto repair shop for 52 years specialized in V.W. they made me a fair living. So when i retired i bought my wife a new beetle that had to be the biggest pile of junk i have ever driven in the dealer more than we drove it. It used oil electrical problems you would not believe and from what i have read it looks like they have not improved much. I now drive Subarus and out back and a new impreza sport not one problem i change the oil and drive the wheels off them. No more V.W.S FOR THIS GUY !!!!!!

Olbill:smile2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
My buddy has nonstop issues with his past two GTIs and his father drives a toureg that is in the shop on the regular. Of course that's completely anecdotal but I just don't think the featureset was the bottom line for me. I was buying into dependability, AWD, and of course Subaru holds it's value.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the RPMs in my sport (CVT) though I've only had it for a week. I did however constantly have issues with my 2007 VW Rabbit, however, that was more with rev hanging. It wasn't until after I changed the air intake in the VW that my issues went away. Unfortunately, I had countless electrical issues in my VW and I was meticulous about keeping it clean and well taken care of. This was one of the main reasons why I didn't stick with VW. I (gasp) even ditched manual transmission.

I have always been a huge fan of the VW's more simple interiors but I was pleasantly surprised with the sport's interior. It's modern, but not over the top for me so that was a win. I've always been a little more concerned about (rear) passenger room than cargo room, but in all cases I can sit in the back with the front seats all the way back and my knees don't touch (if it can pass this test then I know rear passenger room won't be an issue because I'm 6'3").

As far as skis go we're in a similar situation too! Two people will just have to scrunch in the back. Ultimately, we will get a roof rack for my wife's Forester. We do a lot of biking too and I know at this point I don't want to throw a dirty mountain bike in the back of my new car (even on top of a blanket).
Anybody notice the door section where you pull the door close feels loose of flimsy on the Prez?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a auto repair shop for 52 years specialized in V.W. they made me a fair living. So when i retired i bought my wife a new beetle that had to be the biggest pile of junk i have ever driven in the dealer more than we drove it. It used oil electrical problems you would not believe and from what i have read it looks like they have not improved much. I now drive Subarus and out back and a new impreza sport not one problem i change the oil and drive the wheels off them. No more V.W.S FOR THIS GUY !!!!!!

Olbill:smile2:

LOL

Same thing but I was a toyota dealer. Nice to see industry insiders thinking the same. :)

Subu is about the best deal on the market unless you want high end 100k cars for daily transportation

ox

·
Registered
112 Posts
Our family has driven Subarus since 1981. In 2018, we needed to replace a Legacy sedan with a small wagon. Sorry, but the Outback is too big and lifted. Not much out there in a reasonable price range... And I needed to change from a 6 speed to some type of automatic, because of my wife and daughter needing to be able to drive the vehicle.

I decided to take a chance on VW. I loved my Golf Sportwagen S, over the 15 months I owned it. It has turbo torque, decent gas mileage, relatively superb handling, and even had all wheel drive, of sorts. The transmission was dual clutch, and I really learned to respect that transmission.

However, in the first two weeks of ownership, the air conditioning failed - no cool air - no air flow from the dash - followed by ice balls and snow in one's face. 15 months of AC failures, many service attempts, including bringing in experts, 2 summers of incredibly hot weather, and they could not fix the AC. A buy back ensued, and we came running back to Subaru. We now all 3 drive Impreza 5 doors - '14, '17, and '19.

The Sportwagen was a truly fine driving car, and the dealer was first rate (but for their failure at fixing the AC). VWoA was a challenge, but they did the right thing in the end, albeit very slowly.

Overall, I find the Impreza to be more sophisticated than the Sportwagen, in so many ways, but I truly enjoyed the driving experience with the VW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts