5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, I bought a new car (not a Subaru) off a dealer's lot that had been damaged and repaired before it was sold to me. I did not realize that the damage was there until I had the car in my possession for a week. The next year was a nightmare leading to a lawsuit which was settled out of court.

My wife's new Impreza shipped from the factory at 12:06 am on 6/24/2020. The dealer is a five (5) hour drive from the factory. As of now, 35 hours have already passed and my salesman is predicting arrival in the dealer tomorrow afternoon (62 hours) or maybe the day after tomorrow morning (80 hours)!

Even if our new car is the last one off the truck, should it take almost three and a half days for a car to be transported from the factory in Indiana to our dealer in Ohio?

Maybe I am getting all roiled up over nothing, but I fear we are being set up to receive another car that has been damaged in transit and repaired before it is delivered to us..

All opinions welcome!

Peace... Mack

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,970 Posts
Mack, cars don't come off the truck (or train) ready to sell, there is a lot of prep work that the dealer has to do to get it ready for sale. This prep work includes physical work on the car and paper work.

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Base Hatchback 5-Speed
9 Posts
Yeah mine took about 3 days of prep time after it arrived at the dealership (although I live in Mass so that included the dealer having to go to the RMV to get plates since we don't do temp plates here)

·
Registered
358 Posts
As others have posted, the dealer does take some time to prep the car.
When I purchased my 2017 Impreza, the car was not ready for me to take delivery. I went ahead and looked at the back lot where it was sitting.
It literally had just rolled off the truck and still had the factory white protective plastic on the outside panels. The inside had plastic wrap everywhere, including the seats, head unit, mirrors, etc. There were instructions to the dealer on calibrating the compass on the rear view mirror. I took pics of all this because I found it fascinating.

In reality, it probably doesn't take that much time to prep the car... they're basically peeling stickers and plastic off and giving it a wash. Maybe they take it for a test drive. And they add a tank of gas (included in the sticker price, no joke).

I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a dent in the bottom of my door in my 18 legacy that I didn't notice until later. It is right at the bottom where the door flares inwards. Looks like it was pushed in but there is no impact points I could find so I'm not sure where how it happened. because it took so long for me to see it there was really no recourse for me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Betcha that car doesn't travel in a straight line from the factory to your dealer either!
Haha! No, not in a straight line. But in this case, the entire load of 10 cars was consigned to my dealer, so I know the driver wasn't making multiple delivery stops along the way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my case, there wasn't any dents, but there was masking tape under the door and paint overspray on the rubber door gasket and inside the door frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts