5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
sorry about your luck bud. that is pretty extensive damage actually for a slow impact. you are looking at a new door, fender, skirt, wheel, tire, alignment and some cutting and welding. then of course paint. It will be hard to blend that factory metal flake black paint too. I hope the body shop is reputable. I have seen very bad repairs on damage just like this. I hope they can make it right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry about your luck bud. that is pretty extensive damage actually for a slow impact. you are looking at a new door, fender, skirt, wheel, tire, alignment and some cutting and welding. then of course paint. It will be hard to blend that factory metal flake black paint too. I hope the body shop is reputable. I have seen very bad repairs on damage just like this. I hope they can make it right.
This is my first time dealing with an accident. I figure for a dealership and the fact they have an in-house body shop that they do decent work. The dealership is Minooka Subaru in Scranton.

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is my first time dealing with an accident. I figure for a dealership and the fact they have an in-house body shop that they do decent work. The dealership is Minooka Subaru in Scranton.
most think that as well, but that isn't always the case. check their reviews, pics of their work if possible, and make sure they know you will want the job perfect. otherwise they will rush it and you will probably get sub par work. I hope not, but sometimes it happens. either way, I wish ya luck getting it fixed. definitely keep us updated. I would like to see what they tell you needs to be replaced/repaired in the estimate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
most think that as well, but that isn't always the case. check their reviews, pics of their work if possible, and make sure they know you will want the job perfect. otherwise they will rush it and you will probably get sub par work. I hope not, but sometimes it happens. either way, I wish ya luck getting it fixed. definitely keep us updated. I would like to see what they tell you needs to be replaced/repaired in the estimate.
I'll keep this thread updated. The insurance estimate guy should be coming tomorrow to assess the damage. It's her insurance paying for the repair, I just gotta drop 500 for my deductible. I'm just hoping the guy doesn't come here and go "yup, totaled." It's a decent amount of damage I'm sure but I just want it fixed.

·
Registered
778 Posts
wait, if she hit you and her insurance is covering it you DO NOT need to pay one dime. not even your deductible because you aren't claiming it on your insurance, you are claiming it on hers. DO NOT pay anything for this, seriously. if you do, I highly doubt you will ever get it back. you are not responsible so you pay nothing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I should install my dashcam this weekend. I got my subaru as a result from someone running a red and T-boning my 94 buick century. rip grandma car with an attitude

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
A few things:

1. Do not pay any money out of your own pocket. You don't need to pay a deductible...her insurance will cover 100% of your cost
2. Do NOT go to your Subaru dealer for body work. Go to a Mercedes Benz, Audi or BMW dealer body shop...they are used to working on high end cars and will do a far better job...trust me on this!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think I should install my dashcam this weekend. I got my subaru as a result from someone running a red and T-boning my 94 buick century. rip grandma car with an attitude
AMEN brother! I installed mine a few weeks after getting my car and LOVE it. I feel much better knowing it's there to capture all of this ****.

www.thedashcamstore.com

Blackvue DR750S

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the damage - hope it all gets straightened out OK. Ask about diminished value as part of your claim.
This. I was actually going to keep my car for a year or so. Until the 2020 WRX's were made available. It was going to be a trade in. So this now hurts the value of my vehicle. What exactly does diminished value mean and with my
claim what does it do?

·
Registered
232 Posts
For most trade in's the dealer will check Car Fax for accidents . even though it may have been a
simple accident, they will probably ask for a description of the accident. In most cases it will
decrease the value of the vehicles resale value.

Good body shops will warranty their work. Your dealer repair shop may not be the best place
to go. High dollar repair places may not be willing to take common repairs, because the appraiser
is actually working for the insurance company.

They should also provide you with a rental car. Your deductible insurance has nothing to do
with damages caused by a car insured by someone else.

Clifton

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For most trade in's the dealer will check Car Fax for accidents . even though it may have been a
simple accident, they will probably ask for a description of the accident. In most cases it will
decrease the value of the vehicles resale value.

Good body shops will warranty their work. Your dealer repair shop may not be the best place
to go. High dollar repair places may not be willing to take common repairs, because the appraiser
is actually working for the insurance company.

They should also provide you with a rental car. Your deductible insurance has nothing to do
with damages caused by a car insured by someone else.

Clifton
I did the claim through my insurance company and she has one from her insurance company. I use Geico and she has Progressive. Geico told me since I am doing a claim through them that I would pay my deductible, get the car repaired at whichever location I choose, which since it was a new car, a dealership. I want nothing but OEM parts on it and I can ask if the work is warrantied. After the repairs are completed I pay the shop my deductible and Geico goes after her insurance company for reimbursement. I get my deductible back and hopefully that's a wrap. Now from what I understand is if I did the claim through her insurance it would all be at their discretion. Where it gets repaired, covering a rental car, etc. I've heard good think about the Body Shop they have here so I would really like it to get repaired there. Side note, I'm not worried about a rental all that much. I kept my 06 Mazda 3 and she still runs just fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was in similar situation like a month back and so my few cents here.

1)Body shop attached to dealership doesn't get any extra benefits/access from manufactures as any other reputed body shops would get.Choose one that has best reputation around,life time warranty, in house paint shop etc.

2)"work is warrantied" 1) You choice shop's lifetime warranty,if something happens down the line ,its your responsibility to work with shop. 2) Insurance carrier also warranties work, only if work is done by the shop that fall under their network and if something happens, they will fix it free of charge .You car dealer body shop might not under the network.Mine wasnt,though a large auto body group.

3) You can request OEM parts but most likey getting aftermarket,non-OEM parts are industry standard.Ask this specifically with shop .They are one who send in estimates,most likey insurance companies fine print says aftemarket. Key here your car is less than a 1 year old.Talk and confirm with all parties involved

4)Body shop at times work with whatever estimate the adjuster has provided.That means if body shop first mentioned to replace door panel, would now, based on adjuster estimate, would simply fix the door panel,knowing that insurance wouldn't pay for entire new panel .

5)This doesn't matter ...Given you didn't 100 % cause/fault in accident.You shouldn't have to pay your deductible,you are making a claim on her policy.You now made claim under your policy.In my case,both of us were under Progressive but I was strict not to claim under my policy.Yes it take little longer to sort things out with approval etc. You make a claim under policy only if want to fix the car very urgent.

Also even if you ended up involving only Progressive,they cant dictate which shop to use.Also you are covered for a rental,even if you didnt have rental coverage.Remember this next time,though I pray you dont need this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts