5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At it says I have noticed water on the kick plate when I get in my car and have traced it back to the seal by the mirror. Looks like the water gets in there and then runs down the door and ends up in the kick plate. I wondered why it was always popped up I thought the clip was out so I pushed it back down heard it click and thought easy enough but nope it just comes back out. Now I see the water there and am thinking it must have been leaking for awhile now and perhaps it's water damage under the kick plate. Then one day I did an auto car wash and there was water coming in everywhere... Anyone else have this problem and get it resolved with Subaru. My car is a 2017 Impreza, first Subaru and not impressed with this issue. Never had water get into any car I have previously owned.

· Registered
804 Posts
There is a DOUBLE SEAL on the doors which makes it highly-unlikely for water to get all the way into the vehicle.
  • If water gets past the outer seal, the inner seal has a 'channel' which directs that small amount of water down to drip on the kick-panel.
  • If water finds its way INSIDE the door, there are holes in the bottom of the door which drain onto the kick-panel.
  • In every case, the kick-panel is angled to force the water towards the outside of vehicle.
Infact, when I use 'squirt it yourself' carwash I purposefully run the spray around EVERY doorseal area. The kick-panel gets some droplets on it... but it never gets INSIDE the vehicle.

If there has been DAMAGE to doorseal area, this is a different story. For example, if door was frozen shut and was forced open.... or was dented from accident.

One way to 'test' doorseals is to cut a sheet of paper in to a long, 1/2 inch wide strip. With window down, close it in the doorseal so you can pull the paper strip back/forth within the double-seal. Then, work that paper strip back/forth ALL THE WAY AROUND the door feeling for any areas where the the seals are not tight.

Any autobody shop does this kind of work every single day. Getting the doors aligned so the seals are correct is part of their job.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see that there is 2 seals. Apparently they need better ones. I have pictures to show Subaru next time I'm there to get my headlight recall done, where you can see where the water has ran down the door and around to the under side of the speaker where it drops onto the plastic piece of the "kick plate" area not the metal actual kick plate that's outside of the car cabin. I know that would not be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts