5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago, we got hit by a truck requiring replacement of driver door, front LEFT fender and FENDER LINER, hood, front bumper and associated parts. 2 days ago, we drove the car for the first time for more than 12 miles. 3 hours up to Portland Maine, then 3 hours back Saturday evening (2 hours of heavy rain). Exiting the car back home, we discovered a lot of water in the under carpet of the car, not yet on top of the floor mats. This was in all seats, front and back.

I removed the mats then vacuumed a gallon of water out of the car (I measured it when I dumped the shop vac). Sunday morning, I vacuumed again and got 2 more cups, then let the car sit in the sun with the windows half open. It's still damp this morning. I am very concerned about mold developing, requiring full replacement of the carpets.

Reading about other people's similar problems, I expect the problem is either and hope the insurance will pay for it:
1. AC drain hose is crimped or clogged or disconnected
2. left front wheel well liner has a problem allowing water to be forced up into the car driving in hard rain
3. how the front hood drains away from the car isn't working properly.

I will vacuum the floor again this morning, but I don't have the ability to lift the carpets to fully dry it out. I can park the car in my barn if it rains. Would a house fan blowing inside the car help? It's pretty humid outside.
Any suggestions? My primary concern at this point is mold development.
Car is a 2019 Base Impreza hatchback

·
Registered
130 Posts
My car does that with ac condensation

·
Registered
122 Posts
On a hot day you might try a bucket of concrete mix. Put the bucket in the car, shut all the windows. The water will evaporate and the dessicant will absorb it.
Good news tho, it seems that your collection amounts are going down... I'd bet the bulk of the water was the 3 weeks of downtime... Hoses MAY be pinched and/or fenders distorted but start simple :)

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,227 Posts
Your best bet is to get a fan, the bigger the better. Point it at the carpet and run it on high. If you can do it with the doors open and in the sun so much the better. Get air moving over the area and it will dry a lot faster.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the car back to Body Shop. They discovered that the drains by the hood and the cabin filter were totally clogged with tree droppings, causing water to back up and overflow/trickle onto the floor. They pulled the rugs, and dried the car out in the "paint room" for a couple hours. And only charged me $21 for a next cabin filter. They suggested that I run a home dehumidifier in the car with windows closed to remove more moisture. If the weather changes to dry air, then a strong blower/ fan with the windows open.
Now the Security Indicator Light (next to the MPG gauge) is blinking red every 4 seconds when the car is unlocked. It blinks every second when the car is locked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts