5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
No unfortunately, wouldn't that be cool for the iPhone? Apple would never allow that.
It is coming or in beta for Android. You'd want that on a long trip.

But there is a way you can use just the audio portion of Waze to come through the speakers
then you'd have to put the phone in front of you - defeats the purpose of course of that
nice screen.

Reactions: cdicorpo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad. Why have apple play or whatever it is if you cant use it for navigation? I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
149 Posts
The same with Android Auto - you only have the option of using Google Maps with it. Although it is great, once you're out of reception you're out of luck. I installed an offline nav app -Sygic, for these situations (we like to travel and regularly drive to areas without reception).

Sure, I can download offline maps with Google Maps, but this require preparation,and sometimes our travels take us to uncharted areas.

Edit: I just saw smrtech's comment about Waze support coming to Android Auto. That would be cool.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Yes, this is simply Apple saying use our App only. Any vehicle with Apple CarPlay will be the same. In time it could change though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Waze works good on Android auto - 2018 Imp

Actually get a choice between Waze & maps - nice

But there seems to be very few in the Cincinnati area Using Waze. :(

·
Registered
320 Posts
Waze works good on Android auto - 2018 Imp
Conjuring the dead with this reply! I agree though, has worked for me ever since Google started allowing it to work on Android Auto sometime around July 2017.

The CarPlay restriction is indeed likely all Apple, Apple tends to be very restrictive about 3rd party apps. I'm not sure if iOS even allows 3rd party browsers to use their own rendering engine, basically everything you see is always 'Safari' with whatever other browser skin and features on top.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the same with android auto - you only have the option of using google maps with it. Although it is great, once you're out of reception you're out of luck. I installed an offline nav app -sygic, for these situations (we like to travel and regularly drive to areas without reception).

Sure, i can download offline maps with google maps, but this require preparation,and sometimes our travels take us to uncharted areas.

Edit: I just saw smrtech's comment about waze support coming to android auto. That would be cool.
android auto does support waze

·
Registered
142 Posts
Look at when that comment was made, Waze support didn't come to Android Auto until the following month I believe.
Oh lol. Thought it was a new thread

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah it sucks we can't use Waze on Apple CarPlay, cause Apple is garbage at navigating through traffic in the city.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
WAZE integration is coming to Apple CarPlay when Apple releases iOS12

Reactions: Titote

·
Registered
163 Posts
WAZE integration is coming to Apple CarPlay when Apple releases iOS12
If you are really hankering for this like most of us are, and like to live on the tech bleeding edge, you can sign up for the Apple Developer program and get the iOS 12 update beta around June 26. If you pay for the developer program, you can get it now I think. I setup to do this, proceed at your own risk, backup your iPhone first using iTunes.

https://www.imore.com/how-download-ios-12-beta

I normally would not care, but with all the features in iOS 12, I will plan to do this. Backing up iPhone first
and can go back via iTunes if needed. Waze on the dash display will be great. Android folks already know this...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts