5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else found that their impreza windshield is susceptible to cracks/pits. Two weeks after I purchased the car, got hit with a rock that created a small chip. Unfortunately, I had to leave on vacation before I could get it filled (I know the the not fixing it right away is on me), but the chip turned into an 12inch crack by the time i got back. So I had to get the windshield replaced after having <500mi on the car.

Fast forward 1 week and the new windshield already has 2 tiny pits! I took it in right away this time and they said they're too small to fix, but I have to say this is quite frustrating. My last car went 10 years and on numerous trips to Lake Tahoe without any issues.

I know other Subaru's have had windshield issues so thought i'd see if anyone else has noticed this. Or am I just that unlucky??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually had it replaced at the dealership. Just for others' reference, dealers don't actually replace the glass. They just hire a third party to com and do it. But because of Eyesight I had to get the OEM glass, so it was going to be quicker to have the dealer do it (with whatever markup they charge), and they actually gave me a discount on the part so it worked out I guess.

But it means I've had two subaru manufactured windshields with issues now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Actually had it replaced at the dealership. Just for others' reference, dealers don't actually replace the glass. They just hire a third party to com and do it. But because of Eyesight I had to get the OEM glass, so it was going to be quicker to have the dealer do it (with whatever markup they charge), and they actually gave me a discount on the part so it worked out I guess.

But it means I've had two subaru manufactured windshields with issues now.
If you have glass coverage on your policy the insurance would pay for it instead of paying out of pocket. If you don't have it, maybe consider adding it for the future so you'll save money. On my previous car, a Mitsubishi, I had the car less than a week. Driving under a bridge & some ice fell & broke my windshield. I called my insurance company & filed a glass claim. I called a glass company I've dealt with in the past & they took care of everything. I believe your only allowed one windshield replacement per year in MA but still it would save paying for it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So far I haven't heard of anyone else getting windshield issues and I have never had windshield issues on my Subaru currently, but that definitely sounds like a PITA. But I agree with the above, check your insurance company and see what you can get for coverage. Well worth it at the end of the day considering your luck with windshields!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rock chip failures are covered, deductible free, by most policies and in most states by law.

You can get actual subaru glass if you ask or demand it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My insurance covers repairs for free (but, as noted above, I wasn't able to get that done in time before the crack became unrepairable). Replacements are covered by my comprehensive deductible but the dealer quote for the repair was less than that (<$500) and they were able to order the part right away. Of course when I actually brought it in the dealer realized that he had conveniently forgot to add an additional $400 for eyesight calibration, but after complaining to SOA, they said they would cover it.

In the end, going to dealer was cheaper than my insurance (though I learned my lesson to have it looked at right away, as I did with the new chips). But maybe I am just unlucky if no one else has had this many issues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe there's a protective film you can put over the windshield to prevent future cracks? Never really looking into something that myself.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My insurance covers repairs for free (but, as noted above, I wasn't able to get that done in time before the crack became unrepairable). Replacements are covered by my comprehensive deductible but the dealer quote for the repair was less than that (<$500) and they were able to order the part right away. Of course when I actually brought it in the dealer realized that he had conveniently forgot to add an additional $400 for eyesight calibration, but after complaining to SOA, they said they would cover it.

In the end, going to dealer was cheaper than my insurance (though I learned my lesson to have it looked at right away, as I did with the new chips). But maybe I am just unlucky if no one else has had this many issues.
Just did a google search on the eyesight calibration & apparently whenever a windshield is replaced it needs to be calibrated. It should state that in the manual. I guess this is another way the dealerships make their money but this is probably a safety issue too. Glad I didn't get eyesight in my Impreza :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just did a google search on the eyesight calibration & apparently whenever a windshield is replaced it needs to be calibrated. It should state that in the manual. I guess this is another way the dealerships make their money but this is probably a safety issue too. Glad I didn't get eyesight in my Impreza :)
Well, you'd generally hope to not regularly be replacing the windshield....

But my frustration wasn't that it needed calibration, but it was annoying that even though i said i had an eyesight-equipped Impreza and I needed a windshield replacement, they only told me one all in price when I called and then more than tripled it when I came in. But now I know that my local dealer is just not that great.

As an aside, I'm really happy with EyeSight otherwise. The adaptive cruise control is amazing!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, you'd generally hope to not regularly be replacing the windshield....

But my frustration wasn't that it needed calibration, but it was annoying that even though i said i had an eyesight-equipped Impreza and I needed a windshield replacement, they only told me one all in price when I called and then more than tripled it when I came in. But now I know that my local dealer is just not that great.

As an aside, I'm really happy with EyeSight otherwise. The adaptive cruise control is amazing!
Yeah I hear you. The Impreza in general is an amazing car so hopefully this was just a stroke of back luck & now it's gone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Seems to be a common issue with Subaru vehicles, most likely to save money.
Yes, these cars are built to a price point.

The base Impreza is $18,400 before delivery.

Basically, the essential bits of our cars are from an $18000 platform. The other trim levels and options add to the car's appeal and provide more functionality, but really don't enhance the quality of the core components.

In a nutshell, we have windshields, drivetrains, doors, body panels, etal. intended for an $18,000 car and all the potential problems that go with it.

To be fair, it's amazing that this car can be built at that price point at all. But something has to give to make it happen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got a crack (~6") from a little pebble while driving (~50mph) on the highway yesterday. Luckily I do have glass coverage as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I caught a rock or something big enough the Saturday before Christmas about 1/3 of the way in to a 500 mile trip out of town. I think it was in the slush on the road and got kicked up by the truck I was passing. The impact put a 5-7mm chip/pit in my windshield.

I wasn't able to get it repaired right away and it survived me driving around during the holiday and the 500 mile return trip through a blizzard without growing in to a crack.

Didn't get it replaced but have had it repaired under insurance and it hasn't grown yet. Hard for me to say there's anything wrong with these windshields, it could have been a big rock for all I know, although I've never had anything like that happen on a previous car.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,970 Posts
I guess if you live in a place that has a lot of gravel roads the chances of getting pits and cracks on a windshield would be pretty high. I haven't seen anyone mention that any Subaru windshield is "soft" or prone to cracks in my 22 years as a Subaru owner.

·
Administrator
761 Posts
In my previous vehicle I got a chip in the windshield less than a year into ownership. I had safelite come out to fix it so it wouldn't crack, but the chip was always there. Just bad luck.

The Crosstrek we traded in recently also had a chip on the windshield, though it wasn't deep and not noticeable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just got a chip, followed by a crack the next day. I'd say your assessment of "weak windshield" is accurate. It seems to have been designed for weight/price point and not longevity. In 15+ years owning cars, I never had a chip let alone a crack. Now, I get one withing 3 months of ownership?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts