5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
@ibr...you cannot make that assessment as you did above. There are SEVERAL factors that weigh into whether a windshield cracks after being hit by a stone. Temperature changes alone can have a significant impact on the subject. If it's hot one day...as an example was in the 70's here in JAX yesterday and today it was down in the mid-40's this morning...that extreme temp shift can create a crack at a chip location. It has happened to me several times throughout my life on cars other than Subarus. The temp issue is just one of many.

·
Registered
85 Posts
@ibr...you cannot make that assessment as you did above. There are SEVERAL factors that weigh into whether a windshield cracks after being hit by a stone. Temperature changes alone can have a significant impact on the subject. If it's hot one day...as an example was in the 70's here in JAX yesterday and today it was down in the mid-40's this morning...that extreme temp shift can create a crack at a chip location. It has happened to me several times throughout my life on cars other than Subarus. The temp issue is just one of many.
I saw the rock that caused the crack hit, it was a different area from the chip.

Regardless, I don't think it's terribly outrageous to say that a value-engineered car like the Impreza will have savings across the board including windshield. There are minimums, sure, but many car companies (like old Saab) would go out of their way to exceed those expectations.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine was less than a week old. and caught a rock and chipped my passenger side at the view level.. :/....
I think it could be all the crap the people throw up on our cars nowadays.. mine appears repairable. but going to wait til spring to get it fixed..

Bill

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine was less than a week old. and caught a rock and chipped my passenger side at the view level.. :/....
I think it could be all the crap the people throw up on our cars nowadays.. mine appears repairable. but going to wait til spring to get it fixed..

Bill
I'd suggest doing it sooner rather than later, as part of the point of the repair is trying to prevent a chip from growing in to a big crack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else found that their impreza windshield is susceptible to cracks/pits. Two weeks after I purchased the car, got hit with a rock that created a small chip. Unfortunately, I had to leave on vacation before I could get it filled (I know the the not fixing it right away is on me), but the chip turned into an 12inch crack by the time i got back. So I had to get the windshield replaced after having <500mi on the car.

Fast forward 1 week and the new windshield already has 2 tiny pits! I took it in right away this time and they said they're too small to fix, but I have to say this is quite frustrating. My last car went 10 years and on numerous trips to Lake Tahoe without any issues.

I know other Subaru's have had windshield issues so thought i'd see if anyone else has noticed this. Or am I just that unlucky??
100% accurate. They resigned to a lawsuit in 2016 for outback and legacy windshields.... guessing they will have to do the same here. Got my first windshield replaced at 2000 miles and now got a big crack at 16000 miles, going for 2nd windshield. Complete trash if you ask me, such a bad place to skimp on quality. Love the new Impreza, but this is unacceptable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, it already happened again. Got hit with another rock that created a bullseye in the windshield. That's two major issues in <6500 miles on this car. Was able to repair it this time, but it's an unsightly blemish on the car. But better than having to pay a $500 deductible...

This is making me think of lowering my insurance deductible for sure. Also, maybe should have gotten the windshield coverage the dealer was offering....They clearly knew it was an issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you have the windshield wiper de-icers, did you guys have to purchase/install the new windshield through Subaru, or is there an aftermarket brand that's available now that has the de-icers?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I cant really say either way but i am highly disappointed in the windshield rn. That being said i do live in alaska and get hit with a pebble at least once a week and already have multiple chips and one crack. Going to just put it on the car being so low whereas our small suv prolly takes the rocks to grill and hood. Going to try and wait it out as long as possible since AK puts gravel on roads in winter, but when i do get it replaced (at dealer) i will be having it treated and be getting the dealer glass warranty for new windshield. Pisses me off just looking at it though, such an eyesore.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My experience so far, I have 3 clear chips in my windshield, the first was within 3 days, the worst one is hidden by the rear view mirror. My glass coverage is only a $50 deductible but I can't see replacing it quite yet. I can't speak for the quality of the windshield however it seems to be good so far, any piece of glass hit by a reasonably sized pebble or rock I would think would chip. So far mine hasn't splintered, webbed, or cracked additionally, as winter is nearing I don't know yet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
16000 miles -- not a lot of highway driving, save for 2 long road trips. I haven't had a single issue with the windshield. I'm curious if any of you are using eyesight? I'm almost certain there's a difference between the base model windshield and the way it's constructed vs the eyesight windshield. Mine is the base model.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would be skeptical that adding a film may require ES calibration as well. And not sure whether they won't throw a fit about not "certified and approved" solution.
Calibration $400!!! Doubles the cost! That's steep!
Time to leak the procedure so that engineers could do the calibration in their spare time :) Just a matter of time when there will be aftermarket Subaru Select Monitor available - I hope.

·
Registered
2 Posts
7500 miles into the ‘19 Limited strength windshield, took a pea size pebble at 65 mph on highway. Immediately cracked beyond repair. Eyesight calibration and new OEM glass required. Amazing how the cost for new windshield is just a little more than the $500.00 deductible. Then the calibration on top of that! So glad I pay so much for insurance!

·
Registered
138 Posts
7500 miles into the ‘19 Limited strength windshield, took a pea size pebble at 65 mph on highway. Immediately cracked beyond repair. Eyesight calibration and new OEM glass required. Amazing how the cost for new windshield is just a little more than the $500.00 deductible. Then the calibration on top of that! So glad I pay so much for insurance!
Shouldn't the calibration (already above the deductible) be covered by the insurance?

·
Registered
323 Posts
20K miles now... windshield starting to show glaze. (that highway dust that finely erodes) I can only see it at dusk. The micro pits are just starting to show at the hood line too, baaa.

And (roll eyes here) I actually managed to scratch my glass from a dirty snow brush...like really... right in my field of view? I'm sure it is spec'd for those crash test ratings. But could it be that soft?

So far, I am disappointed in the quality. (If I had to replace it out of warranty I would research other sources, perhaps when that time comes there will be other sources.)

My only experience with auto glass has been with Pilkington
not with Carlex

The Pilkington on my Volvo, I never was able to see a scratch (pitting with age but tolerable) in the 17 years of ownership (and I was using the same snow brush).

·
Registered
44 Posts
also had the misfortune of receiving a windshield crack on my 17' sport hatch. was traveling at speeds around 65-70 on the highway and something hit. it could be weak glass but i dunno. filled the crack and now stuck with a blemish on the glass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Windshield replaced 3 months after purchase

Hi everyone. I too had to get my windshield replaced after only owning the car for 3 months (~4k miles). Some rocks caused scratches immediately upon impact. But one afternoon, while on the highway, a rock hit and made a Bull's eye. 3 hours later it spread halfway across my windshield... I don't have eyesight, so I got a Subaru original glass for $460. No issues since than lucky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've already had 2 large cracks in 3 months, both on the highway. The first one I got before I even made my first payment. It put small star crack in the windshield. I immediately got it filled, but it spread less than two days later, so I had to replace the windshield (with OEM glass). It's less than 3 months later, and I just took another hit with a small pebble, which immediately put an 8 inch crack on the passenger side, and has now spread even further.

I've driven these same highways for years in my 2009 outback, and have taken plenty of hits, and none of them put a crack in the windshield. They only pitted the windshield, and any patches installed have held. I never needed to replace it. Either I've had some awful luck recently, or the windshields on the new imprezas are defintely weaker

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've already had 2 large cracks in 3 months, both on the highway. The first one I got before I even made my first payment. It put small star crack in the windshield. I immediately got it filled, but it spread less than two days later, so I had to replace the windshield (with OEM glass). It's less than 3 months later, and I just took another hit with a small pebble, which immediately put an 8 inch crack on the passenger side, and has now spread even further.

I've driven these same highways for years in my 2009 outback, and have taken plenty of hits, and none of them put a crack in the windshield. They only pitted the windshield, and any patches installed have held. I never needed to replace it. Either I've had some awful luck recently, or the windshields on the new imprezas are defintely weaker
:frown2: ****...that's terrible! How much was the OEM glass? Future users might find the info useful.

My windshield horror story is only: 1) Got hit by a pebble that made a super small chip; I need to get it filled. and 2) The ex-gf hit the wipers to get some pretty heavy dirt off the windshield....fast forward to today: now when it rains I can clearly see where the wipers tracked....yay.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts