5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,991 Posts
7500 miles into the ‘19 Limited strength windshield, took a pea size pebble at 65 mph on highway. Immediately cracked beyond repair. Eyesight calibration and new OEM glass required. Amazing how the cost for new windshield is just a little more than the $500.00 deductible. Then the calibration on top of that! So glad I pay so much for insurance!
Yikes!

I got a crack in my windshield here in NY State, called a company to come and do it in my driveway, cost out of my pocket? ZERO

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like most of you guys need to call your insurance companies and ask what your policy covers! Most of them have a separate deductible for glass or even repair it for free.

Like the rest of you I had a pebble ruin the windshield. But my insurance covered it all with a $100 deductible (My collision deductible is $500) and that included the calibration and specifically requesting Subaru glass. I think it would have been about $800 total. The only downside is to do the calibration I had to take it to their main facility 45 minutes away instead of them doing it in my driveway... and maybe the Subaru glass. If it happens again I'm requesting ANY other brand than Subaru OEM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:frown2: ****...that's terrible! How much was the OEM glass? Future users might find the info useful. .

The OEM glass was $676, molding $76, recalibrate eyesight $250, labor $382. Total of $1006, which was covered by insurance, so I just had to pay the $250 deductible.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wonder if Eyesight will wind up being good or bad as far as Insurance rates are concerned. If it actually reduces accidents that’s good, if it increases repair costs that’s bad.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Andddd just found a big chip in ours today while washing it. And in spring. So no gravel trucks or cinders on the roads. Idk how it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
If everyone experiencing windshield breakage with their Subaru would file a safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, they might force Subaru to cover past and future repairs.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Registered
138 Posts
Joining the club. Parked in friend's driveway overnight and PINE CONE cracked my windshield.
From what I am reading I am on my own with $1500 deductible. Someone needs to support poor dealership paying for EyeSight calibration. Wondering if anyone who didn't use OEM windshield and didn't bother with calibration says about the system performance.
(Yes guys - spare your effort claiming it is unsafe, voids warranty and worsens the world poverty. I know that ;-))
2019-06-13 08_51_59-Photo - Google Photos.jpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
I joined about a month ago. First day I drove my car to work last year I got a small chip on the windshield because I was behind a dumptruck that was hauling sand or something. It was super annoying since the car was so new, but it didn't get any bigger.

A month ago I got a noticeable hit from a rock that cause a bigger chip. The next morning I called the insurance and windshield repair was covered since it was less than my 500 deductible so I made an appointment. By the afternoon the chip somehow grew to a crack larger than a dollar, therefore it would require a replacement. Pissed me off so much. I got quotes from several places since I didn't wanna pay 500 bucks. Was able to get it done for 300, but if I had Eyesight it would be more. -_-

·
Registered
138 Posts
Joining the club. Parked in friend's driveway overnight and PINE CONE cracked my windshield.
From what I am reading I am on my own with $1500 deductible. Someone needs to support poor dealership paying for EyeSight calibration. Wondering if anyone who didn't use OEM windshield and didn't bother with calibration says about the system performance.
(Yes guys - spare your effort claiming it is unsafe, voids warranty and worsens the world poverty. I know that ;-))
Called GEICO: Turns out my comprehensive deductible is $500. Geico contracts with Safelite Autoglass and made me an appointment in two weeks. The Geico agent was speaking in terms "EyeSight" and "Lane Departure" (so it sounded they know about the requirements) and said that the shop will recalibrate the ES. Curious to see that.
Anyone having experience with Safelite? Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Called GEICO: Turns out my comprehensive deductible is $500. Geico contracts with Safelite Autoglass and made me an appointment in two weeks. The Geico agent was speaking in terms "EyeSight" and "Lane Departure" (so it sounded they know about the requirements) and said that the shop will recalibrate the ES. Curious to see that.
Anyone having experience with Safelite? Thanks!
Quoting from confirmation email:
Thank you for contacting GEICO with services provided by Safelite Solutions. Your appointment has been scheduled and confirmed with Safelite AutoGlass to replace the windshield on your 2018 SUBARU IMPREZA. You will be prevented from operating your vehicle for approximately 1-hour after installation. Your technician will recalibrate your ADAS camera after installation.
You are going to Safelite AutoGlass at 110 Chestnut St., Redwood City, CA 94063 on Monday, July 1, 2019
The beauty is that with a contract shop I pay "only" $500 deductible (and TAX?) while if I went through the stealer it would be later up to discussion with the insurance what labor rate they pay etc.
If Autolite truly can do the calibration it would be a good news. And I believe that if all what they do are windshields it may be more efficient than the (reportedly) three hour job at Subaru.
Will update how it went.

·
Registered
131 Posts
SafeLite did the calibration on mine after the windshield was replaced. They usually come to you, but in this case I had to go to their regional warehouse where the calibration tool was. It was about 45 minutes from where I work. I had considered skipping it if the cost was too high but my insurance covered it all for $100. It was almost a $900 bill but I just paid the insurance deductible for windshields (separate part of my policy).

·
Registered
138 Posts
SafeLite did the calibration on mine after the windshield was replaced. They usually come to you, but in this case I had to go to their regional warehouse where the calibration tool was. It was about 45 minutes from where I work. I had considered skipping it if the cost was too high but my insurance covered it all for $100. It was almost a $900 bill but I just paid the insurance deductible for windshields (separate part of my policy).
Thanks for the info.
Sounds like you are happy with the work and didn't find anything of a concern, right?
Is the glass OEM (Subaru) or off-brand?
All looks good?
Any noticeable difference in E/S function? (Mine (out of the box) isn't as conservative as I would like it to be, the collision prevention kicks in way too late so I hope the calibration might make it hit the brakes more than 10 ft away.
$900 was the total glass, replacement, E/S calibration?
Did you actually see how they did it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Sounds like you are happy with the work and didn't find anything of a concern, right?
Is the glass OEM (Subaru) or off-brand?
All looks good?
Any noticeable difference in E/S function? (Mine (out of the box) isn't as conservative as I would like it to be, the collision prevention kicks in way too late so I hope the calibration might make it hit the brakes more than 10 ft away.
$900 was the total glass, replacement, E/S calibration?
Did you actually see how they did it?
Thanks.
I am very critical when others do work on my cars. I am very much a DIY'er so it feels wrong when other people work on it. In this case I can't see any difference from the OEM install as far as the seals and trim goes.

It was Subaru OEM glass. I requested it specifically when I called to schedule the install and the lady on the phone said my car was new enough that is what they would do by default. It was less than 2 years old at the time but solidly over 1.

EyeSite works exactly the same. Haven't noticed any change and both my wife and I are very happy with how it works and the distances it uses to intervene.

Yes, it cost close to $900 total on the paperwork. I paid $100 even to my insurance company. I have All State in PA.

No, I dropped the car off and went to eat. I picked it up later when it was already finished.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Called Geico and requested OEM glass. After some time on hold they said (yada-yada - good customer ... approved OEM windshield). Got the windshield replaced by SafeLite in Redwood City (California). Watched while waiting. The calibration took them about 45 minutes. Nobody to blame - each car has slightly different procedure and set-up so the tech had to follow instructions and once restart the process from scratch. They used a stand with laser level to align it in the center in front of the car and put it to specific distance (4 m) from the wheels.
Then they hang a poster board with a target picture on the stand and the rest was just "telling" the car through OBD-2 "calibrate what you see". Subaru tries to make people believe nobody else can calibrate the cameras but that isn't the case. They were using SafeLite labeled OBD-II box - probably made by someone else (Bosch or SnapOn?)
If I didn't have insurance I am sure third-party (aftermarket) glass would have been just fine.
ES works as before - no noticeable difference. People in the shop were competent and nice.
Part: $504
Labor: $286
With Tax: $837
Deductible $500
Quite possible that paying out of pocket would have been more than the insurance contracted $837

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think many manufacturers have this issue, I swear I get one broken windshield every year on all makes of vehicles. My last one was a Honda HR-V. Glass is also thinner these days pretty much on all cars for various reasons, and I swear I get more broken windshields now compared to 10 years ago.

When the 2020 Impreza came out they said new glass made it a quieter car, I thought maybe they put in thicker glass, but maybe they just put in different glass - acoustical ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had my 2nd windshield cracked on my 2019 impreza... both OEM windshields
i may need to look into aftermarket glass as i had a 2005 Corolla prior to this and it never had any windshield problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just had my 2nd windshield cracked on my 2019 impreza... both OEM windshields
i may need to look into aftermarket glass as i had a 2005 Corolla prior to this and it never had any windshield problems.
This is bad news for me as I do a ton of highway driving which leads to many cracked windshields on all of my vehicles, this is not good news.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts