5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is bad news for me as I do a ton of highway driving which leads to many cracked windshields on all of my vehicles, this is not good news.
I have extensive mileage on my Impreza as well. put over 58,000 miles on it since January 2019. still, I don't think its fair to have to budget for a new windshield every 8 months. I've never experienced this before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have extensive mileage on my Impreza as well. put over 58,000 miles on it since January 2019. still, I don't think its fair to have to budget for a new windshield every 8 months. I've never experienced this before.
I wonder if a hood deflector would do anything to protect our windshields.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone tried or considered a windshield protection film? Dont know how it would affect or work with E/S, but they guy at my tint shop was all about it two years ago when I got my car and did the tinting. I dont remember the brand, but it had a base layer and two peel away layers similar to the way they do Nascar windshields mid race. It wasnt exactly cheap, but he said it's not for everyone, they only recommend for people doing alot of highway driving or conditions that warrant it, but said he has seen it save numerous windshields. Each peel off was good for 8-12 months or so(or until damaged past usage, something about self healing material) and the refills can be applied again to the base layer.

I didnt go for it at the time, kinda wish I did now with how many chips and spots I've had in the last 2 years, but just putting it out there for others to know about. When it comes time that I finally will need a new windshield, I'll definitely be reconsidering and researching it again.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
474 Posts
Hard for me to say it's Subaru specific but I've always had bad luck with windscreens. I got two in my BRZ, three in my Legacy two in my 2001 OB. Almost all of them, I'm on #14, have gotten small chips that I've had filled for free by the insurance company. Filling has had varying success, it tends to prevent it from spreading but for the most part it just makes it slightly less visible but it's still there. I live in an area that will do that chip and seal on the roads. Tar then gravel, that's what mainly does it I think. Until recently my 21 year old Miata has never had an issue, my kid borrowed it and it came back with a small star chip. Luckily it's low and not in front of the driver.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hard for me to say it's Subaru specific but I've always had bad luck with windscreens. I got two in my BRZ, three in my Legacy two in my 2001 OB. Almost all of them, I'm on #14, have gotten small chips that I've had filled for free by the insurance company. Filling has had varying success, it tends to prevent it from spreading but for the most part it just makes it slightly less visible but it's still there. I live in an area that will do that chip and seal on the roads. Tar then gravel, that's what mainly does it I think. Until recently my 21 year old Miata has never had an issue, my kid borrowed it and it came back with a small star chip. Luckily it's low and not in front of the driver.
I never owned a Subaru until 2019, but I have had a broken windshield on all vehicles I've owned and usually one per year. My last one was in 2019 on my Honda HR-V. I had one on my Jeep before that. If you get a chip get it filled asap it works an keeps it from spreading. The chip on my Honda occurred on the black edge strip and I never noticed it until it started spreading, then it was too late to repair. Vehicle windshields are thinner these days to save weight and money, all brands. If they are more brittle I don't know but I know they break easier these days.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
474 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not sure if this bodes well. In my 40+ years of driving, I've had to replace about 1 windshield every 10 years. When I bought my Sport hatchback, I had a broken windshield within 3 weeks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not sure if this bodes well. In my 40+ years of driving, I've had to replace about 1 windshield every 10 years. When I bought my Sport hatchback, I had a broken windshield within 3 weeks.
I'd say your chances of damage have gone up, lol. Mine were pretty high with other vehicles I don't look forward to my chances going up any higher.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here in Louisiana, I drive alot of Interstate, rock chip city and if you have large cracks in your windscreen, they won't give you an inspection sticker. I usually have to buy new windshields every 3 years or so. Thank goodness that I don't have eyesight.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got a ding on my windshield the first day I drove it to work. Thought it was just my luck. A couple months ago I got a ding from a rock that started small and spread past the dollar size within a couple days before I could get it fixed. Had to get it replaced. I never had this issue on other cars I've owned. Makes more sense now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got a ding on my windshield the first day I drove it to work. Thought it was just my luck. A couple months ago I got a ding from a rock that started small and spread past the dollar size within a couple days before I could get it fixed. Had to get it replaced. I never had this issue on other cars I've owned. Makes more sense now.
The last 2 cars that I traded in, Chrysler and Hyundai, had to replace windshields for both.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
122 Posts
Funny I just now saw this thread. I had one small crack within the first month of owning my car, then this spring I got 2 more. While it was parked at work on a hot day, every crack grew legs and my entire windshield was so badly cracked.

Just had it replaced this morning. Not sure if the aftermarket glass company is any better than OE, but hoping so. Time will tell.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts