5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 year old will be getting his license in August so I have been working with a buddy of mine who is a Subie salesperson who has sold me all 6 of my Subies. We were playing around with numbers and leases etc. and I put out the idea of giving my son the 2017 Impreza Sport and getting a 2018 base model WRX and the numbers are very doable. So, it looks like I will be in a WRX in August are very high. I probably should have just gone with the WRX in the first place but I wanted a hatch to haul my paintings around. I haven't been doing that much so....well, we will see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why not wait for the new WRX? This generation Sport- given the excellent chassis dynamics and handling- with another 100+ hp would be awesome. I think that the new generation Impreza chassis (I have a '14 and the '18) is way better.

·
Registered
778 Posts
the next WRX Hatch is rumored for 2020, but at this point it is just that, a rumor. no question if Subaru produces another hatch WRX it will sell like hotcakes. I think a lot of Impreza owners would be in WRX's now had they never discontinued the hatch. I know we would for sure.

·
Administrator
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not wait for the new WRX? This generation Sport- given the excellent chassis dynamics and handling- with another 100+ hp would be awesome. I think that the new generation Impreza chassis (I have a '14 and the '18) is way better.
I don't think the price will fall where I would like. I think current WRXes are priced low because the new ones are on the horizon. I was given a price of 26k for a base model WRX and that is amazing.

·
Registered
778 Posts
$26k for a base isn't bad, but do yourself a favor and consider upgrading to at least the Premium. you won't be sorry. I know it's a lil more money but it has a few nicer things than the base. plus the more MSRP the more you can negotiate.

·
Administrator
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went and did a nice long test drive today, compared to the Impreza the power in the WRX is just brutal.

·
Administrator
758 Posts
CJ, I hope this works out for you. If it makes sense, then do it.

I've set my sights on the 2019 Forester Sport. I almost bought a Forester instead of the Impreza, but the Impreza was too nice to pass up. I may wait until 2020 though to see if they offer a hatch WRX.

·
Administrator
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dunno if it will happen but it was fun to test drive one. Chances of it happening right now? 50/50

·
Registered
778 Posts
no question the WRX is super quick. the power comes on almost instantly, which is surprising for a turbo car. it is hard to believe that car is only rated at 258hp. it feels a lot stronger for sure.

·
Administrator
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no question the WRX is super quick. the power comes on almost instantly, which is surprising for a turbo car. it is hard to believe that car is only rated at 258hp. it feels a lot stronger for sure.
I really didn't like that the clutch catches at the top of the pedal travel.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Impreza would be solid for your son looks good and isn't killer on gas/insurance $ but I'm debating the WRX myself its just hard to finally get one when the new one is soooo close and it promises to be an improvement worth waiting for it looks like. I like the universal platforms ride and with the WRX parts and power and potentially PHEV version/hatch versions coming I have to wait. However you being in a different situation I would do it then roll that WRX at peak value into the new one if it seems worth the jump.

·
Registered
778 Posts
yeah, I have owned 2 Mini's that was the same way. but you get used to it after you drive it a while. makes it easier to power shift though...if you're into that sort of thing...

·
Administrator
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since my right shoulder is messed up (already had one surgery and is the reason I have gone to automatics) if I do go with a WRX I might just go with a CVT. I know, sacrilege!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Since my right shoulder is messed up (already had one surgery and is the reason I have gone to automatics) if I do go with a WRX I might just go with a CVT. I know, sacrilege!
absolutely not CJ. the auto in the WRX is completely different than whats in our cars. or at least they used to be. I personally would rather have an auto WRX than the stick. I am a drag racer at heart, so auto was always more consistent and predictable.

·
Registered
652 Posts
That just doesn't sound right. As the clutch wears, the pedal engagement should get closer to the top of the travel, not start out up there. Maybe there was air in the hydraulics or something.

·
Administrator
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: As is often the case my wife who is fiscally conservative has pointed out that we have a 16 year old son who will soon be driving (and will cost us an arm and a leg to insure) and will be going to college in 2 years, and of course we might need to replace the liner on the pool etc. etc. etc. Best to get my son a reasonably used Impreza (in the 15k range) and keep the new Sport for myself.

So, not getting my dream car quite yet, maybe one day. I am very happy with my Sport so this is not a big deal at all. As a matter of fact out of the 6 Subies I have owned the Impreza Sport is my favorite in every way.

·
Administrator
758 Posts
I've been thinking about making the switch the past 2 months, but the responsible side of me keeps saying NO.

Honestly with gas over $3.00 here for just 87 I couldn't afford to pay 89 on a regular basis. I won't even dare to look at the price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts