5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

421 - 440 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I did an amp and 4 JBL speakers in my base model. I agree having decent aftermarket speakers and a little extra wattage for them is a huge improvement. I have no issues with the outputs from the stock headunit with my current speaker and amp setup.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
155 Posts
Saw a trumpet horn on sale for $18 so I swapped it for my low tone hella yesterday.

Today I got a chance to use it for the first time :D https://youtu.be/RZY9xCDrMqw

It's held on with a screw/nut and double stick carpet tape + quality ducktape. Advanced engineering.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
I hauled 350lbs. of tile in my car today, she did great but told me that she is NOT a pick up truck.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My MPG had been dropping. I found that the brake-shoes were dragging. (I could feel heat in the wheels)

I removed the FRONT pads, cleaned things up, filed off the rust and re-installed. (still plenty of meat on the pads)

The REAR pads did not have much left on them so I replaced with SEMI-METALLIC pads while I had the rear wheels off.

The car now rrooolllss much better than before the work.
Full tank of fuel and the MPG readout is already about 5mpg higher. (Averaging around 35)

The SEMI-METALLIC pads have far better grip than the ol' ceramic ones. The brakes are noticeably more powerful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I finished a number of maintenance items, improvements & minor upgrades to my 2019 Impreza Sport today.

Excess silicone sealer, grease and crud were cleaned from the door & hatch hinges. It involved a fair amount of quality time with mineral spirits, towels, cotton swabs and toothpicks, but it turned out well.

About 8.5 square feet of Noico 80-mill sound deadening mat was applied to the spare tire well. Installation was easy and took about 3 hours. It added 6 pounds to the car, but I’m happy with the results—it noticeably reduced exhaust noise.

Dim OEM license plate and reverse light bulbs were replaced with LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics (#194 HP3, 56 lumens & #HP11, 310 lumens respectively). Both sets of bulbs are a significant improvement without being too bright.

An STI CVT shift knob was installed, which was a retirement gift from my now-favorite son-in-law. While I normally do these things myself, I had my dealer do the installation. It was worth the $39 they charged to avoid the risk of breaking an expensive interior part.

I made a pull for the load deck from seat belt webbing. I’m in & out of the spare tire well on a regular basis and got tired of not having anything to lift it with.

I replaced most of the tools in my in my tool roll with higher-quality items. I especially like the Asahi lightweight metric wrench set.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
719 Posts
Hey, would someone please explain this whole "Catch Can" mod? I am really not familiar with it. What does it do? If it is so amazing why doesn't Subaru do it as original equipment?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Thanks Peaty!

Like he posted below that video here is the highlights.

Pinned by Engineering Explained
Engineering Explained
1 year ago
A lot of questions asking "why don't catch cans come stock on cars?" Lots of reasons here, but some of the most obvious: 1) It's another maintenance item, and customers have a hard enough time just keeping up with oil changes. Examples like AdBlue and water injection systems, come to mind, engineers try to develop solutions around customer maintenance. 2) If a customer neglects it, the catch can fills, and then you're dumping that oil into your intake; this is worse than doing nothing at all. Then it's a liability issue for the manufacturer. 3) Ideally, a proper engineering solution to prevent carbon buildups wouldn't require any effort on the customer's part. This is where auto companies will put their focus. "How do we prevent carbon deposits." There are companies that do much better than others with DI engines. Catch cans are not the only solution. If you have an engine that suffers from carbon deposit problems, a catch can is likely to improve the system, as demonstrated in the video.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
Thanks peaty, I checked out the whole vid. very interesting. Kind of looks like a pain that you have to empty the thing every 3,000 miles or so. Maybe that answers my question as to why auto manufacturers don't put them in.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
719 Posts
It's really not that hard to empty TBH but it is another thing to do and most people barely remember to check oil and tire pressure. The difficulty emptying it depends on the one you get and where it's installed. One of the reasons I went with the one I got is it's easily accessed. The one I have has a little dipstick so you don't have to keep checking. Previoulsy I had one with a site glass.. I would not have really had to empty mine but I was more curious than anything. The amount I had just barely registered on the dip stick.

Reactions: C J
421 - 440 of 472 Posts