5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

481 - 500 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts

facebook put play

So much faster and more comfortable.
CJ,

I see a few CX-5 driving around. Definitely different than an Impreza. I suspect the CX-5 doesn't have the same sort of enthusiast following or aftermarket support for modifications that the Impreza has. Coilovers, suspension lifts, engine tunes, 3Dprinted parts (😁), skid plates, body kits, JDM imports, strut tower braces, short throw shifters for the manual transmission it doesn't have, etc. But they seem to be nice enough cars for their intended purpose.

Mazdas have nice styling, but the MX-5 / Miata is the only one in the current lineup that I would have considered. If they made a 4 door version, that would be an interesting car. MX-3 is not a 4 door version though. It's on a Wrong Wheel Drive platform.

I'm not sure the CX-5 is actually faster than the Impreza. That might largely depend on whether either has a governed top speed. You probably mean that it accelerates quicker. I'm getting more opportunities to do some open road driving and the Impreza acceleration while at "higher speeds" is pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,177 Posts
You probably mean that it accelerates quicker.
Most certainly, the 5th gen Impreza goes 0-60 in high 8s, low 9s depending on what source you believe. The CX-5 does 0-60 from 7.7 - 7.9 depending on the source. Car and Driver magazine (using a V-BOX) did it in 7.7.

As far as top speed I have no idea since I would never take either of those cars to their top speed. I only care about 0-60 times since that is more of a real world test in my opinion.

As far as after market goodies there are many for Mazdas across the board but there are far less Mazdas sold, they are a smaller company and certainly have a smaller tuner base.

I miss a lot about my Imp though. And don't miss a lot. If Subaru had a turbo Forester in my price range I would have bought it in a second. But, they don't.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just pointing out that if they both get to 60mph as the target speed, one is not faster than the other. One is quicker though. That reminds me of the old VW Beetle ad: 0 - 60 mph? Yes.

Around here, 0 - 60 doesn't matter much. If you stop at 60, you're 10 mph under the speed limit which is still slower than most traffic.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Found an aftermarket reman full size rim (ebay). Pretty close to original color. (Its okay as it is going to be used as a spare)

Wanted a full size for a cross country trip. It doesn't quite fit perfectly for depth with out the trunk floor wobbling. I built up some leveling with some poly foam to stabilize the floor. Came out okay.

Got rid of the cargo mat and added a rubber backed plush rug. Keeps things from sliding and rattling in transport.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
752 Posts
Looks good, if you haven't yet you should physically measure the circumference of the spare tire VS OEM. I only say that because even though the tires themselves have the same numbers, they are never exactly the same brand to brand. Subaru recommends they be within 1/4" or you may damage the driveline. I realize that's a spare though, normally when you have same size spare you rotate it into use to keep the wear the same.

I have more info here on our scoobymods site:

https://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/why-its-bad-mix-old-3433.html?t=3433

If you are traveling, I recommend a plug kit and a portable compressor if you don't have one, this is the one I carry:

Amazon.com: Blackjack KT-340 Tire Repair Tool: Automotive

I've used it a number of times and it really works well, I've even repaired while still on the car. I suggest you add a pair of needle nose pliers though, once you find what's punctured the tire you'll need something to remove it with.

I also have this compressor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VB41W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More often than not when I get a flat or a friend does, you can air the tire up enough to get it to a tire shop for a repair.

Works well, I end up using it in my garage rather than firing up my regular compressor.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Found an aftermarket reman full size rim (ebay). Pretty close to original color. (Its okay as it is going to be used as a spare)

View attachment 24275

Wanted a full size for a cross country trip. It doesn't quite fit perfectly for depth with out the trunk floor wobbling. I built up some leveling with some poly foam to stabilize the floor. Came out okay.
View attachment 24272 View attachment 24273

Got rid of the cargo mat and added a rubber backed plush rug. Keeps things from sliding and rattling in transport.

View attachment 24274
My dream is to find a full height spare that is spare tire width. I don't want to give up the extra deck height in my trunk. Every time I see someone getting a real spare it pokes me a little more to look into the options again to see if they've changed.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Installed Beamtechs in my "daughter's" car. ;)

Will check aim and brightness when it gets dark.

Not that your "daughter" is just looking for other things to spend money on, but the hood insulator always seems like a good addition to the base model trim cars that you might not be aware of:

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
34 Posts
Did they change the hood design for 2020? It's telling me it won't fit. But I guess I could just trim it. You guys are killing me. I haven't done anything to my car in awhile, been spending all the time on her car.

·
ModFather
752 Posts
Did they change the hood design for 2020? It's telling me it won't fit. But I guess I could just trim it. You guys are killing me. I haven't done anything to my car in awhile, been spending all the time on her car.
I doubt it, the best I can do is show you what it looks like with the insulation on

Someone said that the insulation is also to smother an under the hood fire too but I find that doubtful.

Reactions: chowser51

·
Registered
788 Posts
Not all websites have the 2020 parts diagrams loaded. parts.subaru.com shows the same insulator being applicable to 2020 as well. They don't include base model because it's not standard configuration for the insulator, but it definitely fits.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You guys are killing me. I haven't done anything to my car in awhile, been spending all the time on her car.
...the fog lights are an easy addition too. Oh, and the steering damper lockdown bracket.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Looks good, if you haven't yet you should physically measure the circumference of the spare tire VS OEM. I only say that because even though the tires themselves have the same numbers, they are never exactly the same brand to brand. Subaru recommends they be within 1/4" or you may damage the driveline. I realize that's a spare though, normally when you have same size spare you rotate it into use to keep the wear the same.

I have more info here on our scoobymods site:

https://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/why-its-bad-mix-old-3433.html?t=3433

If you are traveling, I recommend a plug kit and a portable compressor if you don't have one, this is the one I carry:

Amazon.com: Blackjack KT-340 Tire Repair Tool: Automotive

I've used it a number of times and it really works well, I've even repaired while still on the car. I suggest you add a pair of needle nose pliers though, once you find what's punctured the tire you'll need something to remove it with.

I also have this compressor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VB41W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More often than not when I get a flat or a friend does, you can air the tire up enough to get it to a tire shop for a repair.

Works well, I end up using it in my garage rather than firing up my regular compressor.
Nice, thanks for the heads up. I'm right along with you. I always had some sort of onboard air in the vehicle. I haven't had time to install my original setup in the Subi. So I connected everything up in a portable case. My plug kit is a Safety Seal and the air compressor 100% duty cycle Viair 380C with a 3 gal tank. As for the spare tire. Good point, I currently have new shoes on the car so they match pretty close.

Custom portable air case. It's heavy, but I had the parts. Air compressor, tank, case, all fittings,glycerin filled gauge, voltage monitor, circuit breaker, 8 gauge zip wire. Added flex-zilla air hose and Longacre racing tire chuck and a quick disconnect Andersen power plug for neat and tity in case storage.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Wow, that's an awesome setup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I spent half an hour arguing with the parts department at my dealership. The guy kept saying his database won't let him order the hood insulation and tabs. I told him their website says it fits with my VIN and so do other websites. I told him just remove my VIN from the order and order the parts I asked for. The website and others wanted $55 for shipping. I guess it's a large awkward piece. He said he would call me when it comes in and no refunds. I just laughed and said don't worry about it. I'll make it fit.

The reflective tape should be here soon too. Today was a nice warm overcast day so I decided to wax it. I've been using Rejex for almost six years now (same bottle) so I figured why not. It's served me well. I'll probably get something else once the bottle runs out. I wasn't happy with whatever coating came from the factory, very little water beading/sheeting. I'll top it off with some sealant I have around, I have a bunch of different ones.

I washed her mom's car too (no wax, she can wax her own car).

·
ModFather
752 Posts
Looks good it's always good to get a coat on before the bad weather starts hitting. Lately I've been liking the Chemical Guys products. I've been using Meguiars for years which I also like

Reactions: chowser51

·
Registered
788 Posts
I spent half an hour arguing with the parts department at my dealership. The guy kept saying his database won't let him order the hood insulation and tabs. I told him their website says it fits with my VIN and so do other websites. I told him just remove my VIN from the order and order the parts I asked for. The website and others wanted $55 for shipping. I guess it's a large awkward piece. He said he would call me when it comes in and no refunds. I just laughed and said don't worry about it. I'll make it fit.
When I ordered my hood insulator last year, the online guys I buy from (Schlossman) wanted an extra $35 shipping, so I subtracted that from my order and bought it from my local dealership. The parts guy was also adamant it didn't fit my car but he ordered it anyway. It came in a huge oversized box that would never fit in my sedan. I took it out and the parts guy disposed of the box for me.

It takes as long to open the hood and put the prop rod in position as it does to install the insulator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It took longer to unbox it then it did to install. It was $60.38 with tax from my dealership with the 8 push clips.

It fits in the sedan if you put the rear seats down. Rear headrests were removed so I could measure the rear window for tint. Don't worry, they'll be reinstalled.

I also started the peaty reflector tape stuff. :)
And the Subaru brand dog cover. I couldn’t cancel the order since it shipped already

481 - 500 of 508 Posts