5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
781 - 791 of 791 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,338 Posts
Just to follow up, I aired the tire up and so far it's been holding steady, not sure what the deal is. Makes me wonder.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
93 Posts
I've had a tire wander for no reason before. I check my pressures once a month or so manually, no "advanced" TMPS here :D

·
ModFather
1,338 Posts
I'm a little OCD about my tire pressure and check it frequently on the display. This morning on the way in to work I noticed my left rear is 3 psi lower. The right side is on the sunny side, so it's a little higher than the left. There must be puncture in the tire somewhere. I hope it's not too close to the side wall. :( I carry a plug kit and compressor. I'll air it up and remove the tire when I get home to inspect it. I'll have it patched at the dealer when I take it in for the fuel pump recall depending on where the puncture is. The TPMS light didn't come on but it's not that low I suppose.

View attachment 26606
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

I'm not sure what the deal is. My tire went 3 PSI lower again so I removed it. I inspected it closer and even had my son roll it around and give it a once over. I wet it down with soapy water to look for bubbles on the tread, bead and valve stem. I can't seem to find the leak. I'll be swapping over to my snow wheels soon, I'm going to drop it off at a tire shop for them to have a look...

·
Registered
'17, O.Z. Ultraleggera, K&N filter, tints, LED lights, cup phone holder
94 Posts
View attachment 26651

I'm not sure what the deal is. My tire went 3 PSI lower again so I removed it. I inspected it closer and even had my son roll it around and give it a once over. I wet it down with soapy water to look for bubbles on the tread, bead and valve stem. I can't seem to find the leak. I'll be swapping over to my snow wheels soon, I'm going to drop it off at a tire shop for them to have a look...
You can check if there was a recall on the DOT code of that tire. Sometimes they have issues with the inner tube where it leaks air so you can't see it from the outer tube. I heard the ContiProcontacts had a tube slide issue on one of the 2020's.

·
Registered
2021 Impreza Sport
40 Posts
You may have to fully submerge the tire to find a bead leak. My wife's previous car had a tiring losing 3-5psi every couple weeks, and it turned out there was a stream of really tiny bubbles coming from several places on the bead. There were very tiny mold lines that crossed the bead at those locations, but soapy water didn't reveal them. I used a kiddy pool I bought from Harbor Freight for the purpose BTW.

·
ModFather
1,338 Posts
I had a pretty bad bead leak on my winter tires when they were installed. I ended up airing them almost all the way down and moved the car a few revolutions of the tire up and back. Fixet 2 of the three, on I had to take and get removed from the wheel and re mounted after cleaning the rim. If I have time this weekend and the weather permits I have a kiddie pool I can use. It seemed okay today, I'm guessing depending on where the tire sits on the ground it makes the leak worse and more air comes out.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
453 Posts
I'm planning to head up to the mountains and do a lot of snowboarding. Since there's road salt I prepped by applying fluid film. I borrowed my neighbors 100psi compressor and bought a $30 tool on amazon and got the fluid film for free because walmart advertised a 4pack but sent me one. Anyway, I suggest a stronger compressor or just using a brush, it wasn't usable below 80PSI and everything but the crannies can be done with a brush. I ended up getting a brush while the compressor charged up, and then using it to shoot inside openings. I brushed or sprayed the entire underbody after removing panels and I hit every nook and cranny I could see taking out gaskets and shooting inside and doubled up on oem coating. My ecohitch has rustsign within a week of being installed last year so I coated the whole thing. I hit it inside the hood and inside the side cavities around the engine bay. Plus brushed it on in engine bay areas that don't heat up. Going to quality check tomorrow and put everything together.

Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

Additionally, I removed my rear bumper for this job and found a failure of the OEM paint (The white/primer spot). The paint had chipped and metal surface rusted. I spared myself the dealership headache and just sanded it off and then applied a primer and later paint coat while waiting for compressor to charge. I'll do clear tomorrow. Also those spray spots have been smoothed out with a brush for total coverage.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

781 - 791 of 791 Posts