5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your 2017+ Subaru Impreza Today?

235K views 1K replies 228 participants last post by  Rowing-without-paddles 
#1 ·
Share what you did today with the 2017+ Subaru Impreza community!

Example: Had the under carriage cleaned and got anti rust oil sprayed for protection. Yes, it's winter here :(

Example: Finally got my window tints done, now I can't open my windows for a week

Example: Took the family out for a nice drive.

Anything goes!

#4 ·
#10 ·
Cracked my windscreen today on the freeway..
I haven't even made it to 1 month since I got the car (15 years of driving never even had a chip).

Lucky I took the no excess optional coverage for windscreen/glass damage.

Insurance has advised the glass company only need the car for a few hours to install the glass but then they have to send it to Subaru who will usually keep the car for 3-5 days.. I assume this is to calibrate the eyesight, I hope it's not that long when the time comes..

Will have to wait untill 1st May however because that's when the next available time to get it fixed is..

Hopefully the crack doesn't get too much bigger in the meantime!

Attachments

#13 ·
Had the same thing happen to me 3 weeks into ownership with <500 miles on it. Same experience in that I didn't have a chip on my old car. I ended up having it done at the dealer since any third party repair shop would still need to purchase the OEM glass because of eyesight. I just wanted it done ASAP so I ended up paying out of pocket. But I emailed Subaru of America and complained about the weakness of the windshield and they actually reimbursed the cost as a goodwill gesture! Gotta give them credit for that.

Just FYI, I ended up putting some nail polish over the crack (read about doing that online) and it actually did seem to stop the growing crack. But might have just been a coincidence.

#14 ·
I ended up paying for it straight up. The MSRP on the glass plus molding is ~$660 + $150 for install. My dealer actually gave me a discount and only charged me $330 for the parts. Of course my dealer also conveniently forgot to mention there's another ~$330 labor fee to re-calibrate (that was a fun surprise when I got there).

I would have been much angrier right now if SOA hadn't agreed to step up.

#12 ·
This past weekend, I layed down the first coat of paint sealant on my new Impreza

Blackfire Wet Diamond. Yesterday after a rain, the water was beaded up
like little balls and as I drove it all blew off.

Blackfire Wet Diamond, All Finish Paint Protection

If you have never used any product like this, this stuff is insanely easy to use
and an incredible protectant. You cannot screw it up as long as you don't go overboard.
Be careful of the windshield (don't do it of course), if you have EyeSight (or even if you don't).
Otherwise it can go pretty much anywhere. You could put it on plastic and headlights, chrome, etc.

I'll post a picture as soon as we get some sun. You can reapply 100 times without a problem,
but every few months is plenty. It doesn't wear off, it bonds with the paint in a way you can't
easily tell.

Highly recommended. One bottle will last many years as you need so little. I have been using this
stuff for almost 10 years now. Have it on my other cars too. Don't need a buffer you can hand apply
and it makes the paint like glass, water just beads up and rolls away!

#15 ·
Got my windows tinted today and had the rear seatback protector installed (freebie from the dealer). This will be it for awhile. Unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees.

Attachments

#17 ·
I washed the car again for the 4th time this week.
I hate trees over the car for this reason (I'm considering a major trimming of my 200 year old tree.) Because this just ticks me off.
Oak tree flowers, they make such a mess. In fall the acorns will come.

#23 ·
[/QUOTE]There suppose to be carbon fiber look, and I got them off this app on the iPhone called geek. The rear ones are a little big so I have to cut them but it looks good and fits the style of the car and easy to install[/QUOTE]

I much prefer those to the OEM style & the price is amazing too. Matches the interior carbon fiber look.

#27 ·
It's not my car, but my wife's so I won't be the primary driver and have spent very little time with it.

She had to work the yesterday and I didn't. So I spent several hours trying to activate the PIN code so that we could leave keys inside the vehicle if we went kayaking or sumpin'.

After reading and re-reading the owner's manual, watching several Youtube vids and fruitlessly trying to get the feature to work , I gave up.

As it turns out ,that's an option only for vehicles with smart fobs and keyless ignition. Our Premium doesn't have the necessary "lock" button on the rear hatch, which should have made it obvious. But, in my defense, the manual doesn't have clear markings in the "Keys" chapter and it flows seamlessly from "dumb" keys to smart keys, making you think it's one large section instead of several.

Self ownage is real, folks. LOL.

#28 ·
Over the weekend I tinted my windows, 35% in the front, 20% in the back. I also replaced the halogen interior and license plate bulbs.
Pic 2 shows the dome light only on, pic 3 shows both map lights & the dome light on. I found that having the map lights turn of when the doors unlock/open is blinding at night when I get in so I leave that setting off.
Pic 4 shows the license plate lights linked here which were super bright and kind of blinding from behind.
Pic 5 has these lights installed These are much less bright and look better.

Attachments

#30 ·
It wasn't all in one day, but I have added some personal touches. The windows have been tinted to 25% all around and that's saved me on the really hot days. I've covered the normal Subaru logo with a special "galaxy" logo. I also added a Jedi decal to keep with the space theme.

Eventually I'm going to change the dome/map bulbs with LEDs as other users have done. I have the bulbs already, I just need to figure out how to do it, haha!

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
I didn't do anything but I'm totally proud of my wife.

Today we received a 3M Scotchguard protection film kit for the front, hood and mirrors. Long after I gave up, my wife patiently kneaded the last bubbles out of the mirror after 90 minutes of spraying and swiping.

We were going to do all that we could before handing the rest off to a local shop. But if we keep making steady progress we might do the rest ourselves.

She's a saint and, apparently, has a second career ahead of her if she wants.

I would upload pics to document the progress but, quite honestly, it's nearly impossible for me to photograph it in such a way that you can even see it.

#39 ·
Yeah. Let you wife do it. LOL.

Seriously, though. I have no idea. Some folks pre stretch, others get lucky by pulling across as they go. I think that getting the film tacky enough to dry quickly is key so that it doesn't come loose when you work another section.

My wife has demonstrated better skill than me. I'm going to be the assistant this project and generally stay out of her way. LOL.

#41 · (Edited)
3weeks after I got Impreza 5dr it was professionally 3m clear bra
Hood,fenders,headlights,sill plates mirrors & rear bumper sill
I did the frt bumper flat area and frt lip
Not an easy job. Lots of patience
But left the car in the sun most of the bubbles are gone
With the car a light/medium colour it's hard to notice
Also screened behind the grill to protect rad top and bottom

Attachments

#49 ·
Added some red vinyl to the grill. The same guy that did my pinstripe also does vinyl work. Next up will be adding red emblem overlays to the front and rear. I'll be doing those myself though...even I can't mess that up.

Attachments