5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you typically have in your car when you drive around? There are some things that I just always have on hand.
compressor, tire pressure gauge, plug kit and Jump Pack.

I have a large electronic flair and a few small ones too.

In the event of a Zombie attack.

First aid kit, reflector vest and emergency blanket

Waterproof seat cover in case I get super dirty at work and don't have time to change

A travel camera just in case. I have professional equipment but don't always have that with me.

Random things like pepper spray, I have some in the back and in the console. Along with a small gun vault to put my handgun if I need to disarm, I have a legal CCH permit. Fuses, duct tape some plastic bags, bungee coards and wire ties. Sounds suspicious but I often get pretty dirty at work so I put wet shoes and stuff in the bags. I keep everything in a tote that I can move around. I'm sure I've forgetting something. I can't be the only one that keeps a lot of crap in the car :)

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,082 Posts
I used to keep a lot of stuff like that in the Foresters that I owned because they have a lot of space under the floor, Sadly the Impreza has no storage under the floor so I really don't carry much.

·
ModFather
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to keep a lot of stuff like that in the Foresters that I owned because they have a lot of space under the floor, Sadly the Impreza has no storage under the floor so I really don't carry much.
I know the amount of storage places in my kids 2001 Forester is incredible, there are even little hatches in each door handle pull. I have everything in a travel organizer so I can move it around but it does take up a lot of space.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jumper cables, first aid kit, a large towel to cover my light tan seat in case I get dirty, and of course a cell phone to call AAA.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, I used to be like you, with 100 lbs of needles gear bouncing around the trunk of my car. But, I'm not commuting 100 miles along the Dalton Highway, so I leave most of that stuff behind now and just carry my phone. Keeping a camera in your car is just an invitation to thieves. Carrying a Bowie knife is pointless, unless you feel you'll need to dress a deer on the side of the road.

I carry a safety reflector triangle, and in the winter, a tow rope and jumper cables, as well as an old colapsible army shovel. Also, during the winter I carry a padded mover's blanket (or a horse blanket), in case I need to spend the night in the car. I carry a good breaker bar with the correct 1/2" drive socket for my car, down in the spare compartment. Tire repair kits and compressors stay at home, with the rest of my tools. I carry the small emergency kit the dealer gave me (which includes the reflective triangle).

·
ModFather
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone breaks in the car it's not because they have seen anything. Everything I have is hidden, my windows are tinted and the cover is always drawn. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but this is KS not Trenton where I use to live. People around here sill leave their cars unlocked, which honestly baffles me but I grew up in Jersey. I'm a photographer so I always have at least one decent camera with me at all times. Cell phone camera are nice but doesn't qualify. It's a machete not a knife, I also have a finger pull style chain saw. Here in KS we have tornadoes that will put trees across the road. Last year one went through less than a mile from here. Pretty scary stuff. I've repaired a flat not too long ago while on the side of the road, I didn't even have to take the tire off the car, I was lucky enough to find the nail. I plugged it and filled the tire up in way less time than it would take to change it. I think a compressor is essential equipment. If you are somewhere and discover a flat tire, odds are you can put air in it enough to get somewhere to repair it properly with a patch. When I lived on the east coast cell phone coverage was always fine, out there that's not the case, there are many spots where you will not get a signal. I commute a lot of back roads to work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nive equipment. I don't carry that much with me, although everything you have it's necessary. I have more stuff in the front part of the car (unnecessary I would say) but I'm a hoarder so there's a lot

·
Registered
2018 Base Wagon
15 Posts
I got a small box from Walmart with a latching lid. It holds rags, first aid, roadside gear, pressure gauge, trash bags, alcohol, and a face mask these days. It small enough to move around the car but keeps it all together. Of course, this is a new car for me so I am sure I will tweak it as I go.

In my jeep, I kept more repair items as it was older but I never really had more than one passenger in the Jeep at one time so I did not mind having stuff clutter up the back.

·
Administrator
2,082 Posts
Kind of miss the Forester at times to be honest, it was a more versatile vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Base Wagon
15 Posts
Kind of miss the Forester at times to be honest, it was a more versatile vehicle.
I do miss the Jeep for similar reasons but the maintenance cost was getting up there. I also like the much quieter ride and longer trips between the pump so far. I have not used it too much, but between the folded seats and the roof rack, I am pleased with the cargo capacity for this car.

·
Administrator
2,082 Posts
Will probably drive the Imp for 4 more years, it will have been paid off for a year at that point and my son will be out of college for a year. I can give him the car and get a fully loaded Forester to drive for the rest of my days (I will be retired by then).

·
ModFather
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, I had an 04 Forester XT and loved it! Right now my youngest has a 2001 Forester S. Man that thing has so many places to store stuff it's crazy. It really is one of the better scoobys they have made. I mean it's kind of what I use to think of when I thought about Subaru. Not the best looking but the utility of it is amazing. If I had to live with one forever it really is nice. I know it's not quick but there are even little hatches in each door handle you can put things! Tons of room under the rear floor where the spare tire is. When I put the winter snow wheels on it it will go just about anywhere. My kid will be loading it up this week to head back to college and he fits all of his stuff in there with the bike rack on the back. It will be packed to the gills but only one trip. It's got 200K+ miles on it and don't burn oil.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have that Subbie Bg also works awesome. Left side of it I keep some hoodies for the wife and I and a Mag Light. Other side is my car washing things couple microfibers, Shim for drying, and some bug wipe pads LOL. I did take the pull back cover thing they give you I almost never pulled it back and lock it into place dono why. Plus when I drop the seats I don't have to worry about the lame bar.

·
Registered
258 Posts
BTW, back when I was rallying a lot, the important thing was to tie everything down that you carried. That way, if you have a rollover, you don't get smacked in the head by your shovel, tire repair kit, Bowie knife, chainsaw, etc....I've seen the aftermath of a few rollovers. A friend got smacked in the back of his helmet by a poorly secured scissor jack once when the car he was co-driver in dove into a ditch.

·
Administrator
2,082 Posts
BTW, back when I was rallying a lot, the important thing was to tie everything down that you carried. That way, if you have a rollover, you don't get smacked in the head by your shovel, tire repair kit, Bowie knife, chainsaw, etc....I've seen the aftermath of a few rollovers. A friend got smacked in the back of his helmet by a poorly secured scissor jack once when the car he was co-driver in dove into a ditch.
Ouch!

·
ModFather
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I was in HS my friend was carrying about 6 steel wheels in the back of his 69 Ford Country Squire wagon. He hit a deer and one of the wheels flew by him and embedded itself in the dash. I typically keep everything behind the rear seat or in the trunk if I have one. It's safer and also keeps things from prying eyes too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts