5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Impreza sport limited 2.0i and I'm looking to change out my breaks and rotors asap. I need some help finding a good brand to buy. I am not looking to purchase any upgraded breaks and rotors just basic OEM type. I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The OEM Subaru pads are ceramic based. They are quiet, low-dusting and easy on the rotors.

I choose to use metalbestos (imbedded metal shavings in the pads) type of pads. They add a noticable amount of braking power but also wear the rotors more than ceramic. They can also produce some black dust on your wheels.

For me, living in the northeast, the metalbestos pads help keep the rotors free of rust from the salty winter roads.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,031 Posts
I've never had good luck with OEM Subaru brake rotors. Eventually I get brake judder. That's a pulsing in the pedal when you are stopping. You can feel it in your foot. I don't mind OEM pads for daily drivers, I usually search for a kit on ebay. They come with all the hardware and grease you need. In the past I've also had good luck with Hawk street compound. For replacement rotors I like Brembo Blanks if you can find them. The last few I've installed have been from Tire Rack have been Cryo Treated Centric brand:

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brand.jsp?brand=Centric

They have usually worked out well. I put a set on my kids Forster before he spent the summer in Colorado. Lots of stress on the brakes going down those long hills. They have held up well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone I have a 2018 base model hatch. My stock brakes are perfect but I don't like the way stock calipers look, has anyone found any aftermarket calipers for the front and rear that look a bit nicer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey everyone I have a 2018 base model hatch. My stock brakes are perfect but I don't like the way stock calipers look, has anyone found any aftermarket calipers for the front and rear that look a bit nicer?
You could always do a 4 pot/2 pot conversion. It’s expensive but you’ll have some badass calipers. If your going to go this route then you might as well get stainless steel brake lines and new brake fluid to take full advantage of the swap otherwise it will be a waste to do the upgrade.

2 pot rear conversion:
https://get-primitive.com/downsize-kits/752-2018-crosstrek-2-pot-brake-conversion-kits.html

4 pot front conversion:
https://get-primitive.com/downsize-kits/197-5x100-4-pot-brake-conversion-kits.html
*You will have to get a set of 2018+ Crosstrek rotors and calipers brackets for this too

.... or you can just get caliper shrouds and call it a day.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know its a older post but I put r1 concepts on my 17 Impreza, fast shipping decent price. If you keep an eye out they almost always have 30% off deals sometimes 40%. At 30% off for their carbomet drilled and slotted rotors, oe style pads, and shims it was about 210 shipped to the door for front and back, perfect fit, better stopping power, and seemed to last longer. 78k miles when I traded the car in with about 6000 on the new brakes, the oe style was replaced 3 times in the front and once in the rear by the dealer. When I traded the car in they said the Brakes look like they were just put on the week before. just FYI

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could always do a 4 pot/2 pot conversion. It’s expensive but you’ll have some badass calipers. If your going to go this route then you might as well get stainless steel brake lines and new brake fluid to take full advantage of the swap otherwise it will be a waste to do the upgrade.

2 pot rear conversion:
https://get-primitive.com/downsize-kits/752-2018-crosstrek-2-pot-brake-conversion-kits.html

4 pot front conversion:
https://get-primitive.com/downsize-kits/197-5x100-4-pot-brake-conversion-kits.html
*You will have to get a set of 2018+ Crosstrek rotors and calipers brackets for this too

.... or you can just get caliper shrouds and call it a day.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, I hadn't even thought about a conversation. Definitely going to look into this. And yes I have already picked up new pads and rotors from ebc as well as stainless stoptech lines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know its a older post but I put r1 concepts on my 17 Impreza, fast shipping decent price. If you keep an eye out they almost always have 30% off deals sometimes 40%. At 30% off for their carbomet drilled and slotted rotors, oe style pads, and shims it was about 210 shipped to the door for front and back, perfect fit, better stopping power, and seemed to last longer. 78k miles when I traded the car in with about 6000 on the new brakes, the oe style was replaced 3 times in the front and once in the rear by the dealer. When I traded the car in they said the Brakes look like they were just put on the week before. just FYI
I appreciate the info! I actually saw an ad for these on social media but I wasn't sure how good they were. I'll definitely keep them in mind for my next set👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts