5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Administrator
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the 5th Gen 2017+ Subaru Impreza, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Where do I start ?

Hate: underpowered engine, 7 gear CVT, Infotainment system, information screens that either display duplicate info, or useless info.

Love: The color ? oh! Paddle Shifters

·
Administrator
783 Posts
From a Sport 5dr CVT owner...

Hate:
Engine Stutter at low speeds: apparently this goes away after the break in, but it's really annoying. It happens when the car is between 15-25mph.

Daytime Running Lights: I'd rather the Sport have fog lights as a standard option instead of DRL's. Yes, I know with a bit of work they can be changed, but I'd prefer a standard option for something like this.

Love:
Lithium Red Pearl Paint: I told myself to stay away from another red car...yeah that didn't last long.

HK Audio: The bass is pretty good with the music I listen to.

Cargo Room: Coming from a '13 Corolla S this can hold a good bit more room.

Driving: This car handles well on curvy roads and is a lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
778 Posts
A bit strong, I prefer dislike because I don't "hate" anything about this car but:

Dislike: not much but I would like to see a Turbo option for those of us who like power. Even if it raises the price a couple grand. DRL should have the option to be turned on and off at driver's discretion. No LED option for American Sport Model.

Love: Color, Handling, Braking, Interior Space

·
Registered
46 Posts
Engine Stutter at low speeds: apparently this goes away after the break in, but it's really annoying. It happens when the car is between 15-25mph.
I came here to say this. 6000Km in and it still annoys me almost daily. it seems to be an issue dropping from '2nd' to '1st" or whatever the CVT equivalent is. I've raised it with the dealer about 4 times (i've had a few issues...) and everytime they say no fault found.

·
Administrator
783 Posts
I came here to say this. 6000Km in and it still annoys me almost daily. it seems to be an issue dropping from '2nd' to '1st" or whatever the CVT equivalent is. I've raised it with the dealer about 4 times (i've had a few issues...) and everytime they say no fault found.
Yes, it's the same from dropping 2nd to 1st in my CVT. In another forum I've seen people report this and say it goes away over time especially after the first 1,000 miles. Based of your km's you are well past that though. Coincidentally, I'm bringing in my car today for a control module replacement in the infotainment system. I plan on discussing this with them. I'll update you with what they say.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We've put about 4000miles on ours now, 3500 of it in the last month.

Plenty of power for an interstate highway cruiser, gets to and holds 70+ mph easily from an on ramp and holds it well even in the East Coast USA version of hills. Passes with ease.
Gas Mileage. Hwy with minor incursions into cities has easily stayed in the upper 30s.
Surprisingly comfortable ride for a small car.
Nice trunk space with room for 4 real adults in the interior.
Tight turning circle.
Tracks well.

Dislikes are limited to engineering design choices that have been covered here before: No auto-lock choice on the doors, no delayed accessory power to allow homelink to operate after turning off the car, lack of engine instrumentation, sound system won't stay off.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Overall the Impreza
Happy with the car(color,awd, roomy,ride, chassis setup & weather pkg
Not a fan of electronics eg (dash fan noise, battery cca, no cd player, sillplate cover,rear bumper cover & windows popping up on dash :surprise::confused: )

·
Registered
730 Posts
Overall compared to my last car (4G Eclipse) the Impreza is so much better. Acceleration is good, once you put your foot to the floor. Would be nice if there was a turbo engine option. It's comfortable on long trips. The infotainment system is great but has it's moments of freezing. Backup camera is crystal clear, compared to other manufacturers. Plenty of cargo space. Paddle shifters are awesome - I use mostly for slowing down on hills or tight corners. Heated seats are perfect in winter. AC could be a little colder. Gas mileage is ok, but only takes like $25-$30 to fill the tank when empty, which is gooooood. AWD is absolutely amazinggggggg in all conditions (snow, wet, dry, sand, etc.). I just wish the cruise control flashing or blinking would be resolved at this point. If I think of anything else I'll add it in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lots more personality and fun to drive than my previous Subarus (Legacy wagons)

Cost cutting pressure is obvious over the years. More push in fasteners. The felted fibre product on the floor where you used to find carpet, especially in the cargo bay of the 5 door.

The cheesy filler panel on the base and premium models without foglights... Hate those "bullets" or "nosecones" or whatever they remind you of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, it's the same from dropping 2nd to 1st in my CVT. In another forum I've seen people report this and say it goes away over time especially after the first 1,000 miles. Based of your km's you are well past that though. Coincidentally, I'm bringing in my car today for a control module replacement in the infotainment system. I plan on discussing this with them. I'll update you with what they say.
Hi, this is the number one issue for me as well. I have Limited Sedan and I love it, but when driving it in the traffic below 20 mph, it behaves like 15 years old Chrysler! Did you get any updates form the dealer?

·
Administrator
783 Posts
Hi, this is the number one issue for me as well. I have Limited Sedan and I love it, but when driving it in the traffic below 20 mph, it behaves like 15 years old Chrysler! Did you get any updates form the dealer?

Yes, I did find out. Sorry, I completely forgot to post this. Apparently this is normal for all CVT Subaru vehicles. Now I’ve never had a CVT before so this is all new to me. My gf’s ’14 Crosstrek is a CVT and it’s barely noticeable. Keep in mind it now has 60K miles on it so it’s more than broken it. However, I cannot recall if it stuttered the same way after she bought it.

Some days it’s more noticeable than others. I test drove the Sport 5dr. twice within a few months of each other and I definitely noticed it more on the second test drive than the first (different cars at different dealerships).

Hopefully it goes away over time or I just get accustomed to it. Either way it’s definitely a weird feeling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After 1,500 miles...

Likes : Space for storage, gas mileage, sheer looks of the car, fun to drive

Dislikes : infotainment feels incomplete, no option for fog lights on Sport package, no automatic door locks, size of center console arm rest, placement of cup holders, lack of backseat air vents, lack of any available aftermarket upgrades as of now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased in April. I have about 3500 Miles on the Car.

Hate: Stock All Weather Mats. Too small and dirt/debris gets caught right near the Pedals. Put in Weather Tech liners. Much Better.

Dislike: Engine power. I'm not looking for a Rocket here but, a 1.8 with Turbo would keep the car from "competing" with the WRX but, give a nice lil jump in the HP department. Sure, Engine power is fine for passing but it certainly is lacking in the launch department.
Center console. Too small. They EASILY could have put the heated seat switches under the climate control. This would have freed up space to move cup holders.
No Auto lock. It's not a big deal but, I miss having it.

Love: Cabin layout. Everything feels placed just right in regards to controls.
Seat comfort... Does quite well on long trips.
The Color (Island Blue Pearl)
Handling. It's fun to drive
HK Audio is quite good for a Stock System. It's better than the Bose in the Mazda CX-5 for sure.
Auto Dimming Mirrors. Rear and Side Dimming is AWESOME!

I see a few that have some big complaints. It's a lower end car on the Subaru Lineup. it makes sense it won't have Dual climate or rear seat vents.

·
Registered
124 Posts
500 miles

Main reason for buying is the eyesight system, looked at all the others and liked this one best even cars 3 times as much were not as good in Los Angeles traffic except for Tesla but we did not want electric due to travel restrictions where we go.

Car feels very intuitive to driving needs, easy to operate
Really like the new chassis, car feels great and has excellent road manners.
have not got it on a track yet, yes I do track all my cars to see what they do at the limits. I suspect this to be much better then any of the FWD cars out there.
Just a really good little car

Cons
CVT shutters, mileage not so good yet I suspect the two are related and a simple software update.
Self locking doors, I get what they are doing but if you set your PIN code then auto door locks should become active so you dont lock keys in the car. You can always open the car with the subi app if so equipped.
Seats could be a bit better or have more adjustments

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
5mt sport sedan 4000km

love
Canadian sport model has fog lights and LED headlights, in fact the fogs come standard except for the base model
LED headlights are a must for a country traveller
fuel economy for an AWD
interior
brakes
blindspot and cross traffic alerts work great, not too aggressive but not too subtle

dislikes
lacking power
stock and subaru rubber mats are useless for winter, get weathertechs
hill assist takes too long to disactivate when releasing brakes

·
Registered
12 Posts
5 Speed Manual Touring Sedan

About 4000km on it so far, everything seems pretty good so far. It's my first Subaru!

- AWD: Comes standard with AWD, and I love it so far. Absolutely a blast attacking corners and sharp turns. Can handle rain and wet roads no problem!
- Interior Layout: Looks very clean, easy on the eyes and you just know what most things are and what they do.
- Exterior Layout: Outside, I really enjoy the look of the Impreza. It looks pretty good and I can't wait to see the new platform being used on the WRX and STI models.
- Fuel Economy: Not bad at all for AWD. The CVT version of the Impreza has better gas milage, but the 5 Speed can get acceptable numbers if you resist the urge to rip it everywhere!
- Handling: Handling is very smooth and very responsive on this car. It's just a joy to drive on curvy roads.
- Sounds: The Subaru Boxer engine sounds super nice during start up, or when you rip it. I wish aftermarket mods finally come out for the car, because it would just sound even more amazing with them!

Dislikes:

- 5 Speed manual: I wish they put a 6th gear for this car, it would be more enjoyable. Must new cars use a 6 Speed Manual, c'mon Subaru! I also find that my car hates being in 1st gear. As soon as it's in 1st gear, it just wants to get to 2nd gear right away.
- Lack of power: With only a 2.0L engine pumping out 150 HP, it's definitely nothing impressive. I wish they had a 2.5L option, or at least find some way to bump up the power to 170 - 180 HP. Especially when going up hills or even just cruising, it just feels too slow. You notice it the most when the car is full with 5 people.
- Hill assist: Hill assist is great and all, but this one seems to just hold the car for too long sometimes. I find even when I park on a slight incline, hill assist will just turn on and I would stay there reving the engine before it decides to release my brakes.
- Infotainment System: It feels slow, half of the apps are useless. When using bluetooth for calls, as soon as the call finishes, it won't return you to your previous screen. Instead, it puts you back in the useless phone screen!! It's annoying and dangerous to constantly mess around with your screen to return to the screen you were just on.
- Android Auto App: I don't think this counts, but Android Auto does not like me. When I attach it to my phone USB cord, sometimes AA would crash, even though there is still a connection and won't open again until I unplug and replug the USB. When using Google Maps to find places, during long rides the screen would just freeze. Even though you're still driving, the screen shows that you're standing still, but the voice guide still works. I had to constantly go back to another screen, re-open maps and it will be back to normal for now, until it freezes again. Absolutely garbage in my opinion.
- Rear View Mirror position: I don't know why Subaru decided to put the rear view mirror so low. It's difficult to see what's on your right side sometimes when checking a corner. The mirror covers most of the right side up, and I find myself ducking just to see if it's clear on that side.
- Beige Headliner: Absolutely hate it. Subaru couldn't of put a black headliner instead of beige? It can get dirty so easily if you're not careful and it just looks disgusting when the rest of the interior is black.

·
Administrator
783 Posts
5 Speed Manual Touring Sedan

About 4000km on it so far, everything seems pretty good so far. It's my first Subaru!

- AWD: Comes standard with AWD, and I love it so far. Absolutely a blast attacking corners and sharp turns. Can handle rain and wet roads no problem!
- Interior Layout: Looks very clean, easy on the eyes and you just know what most things are and what they do.
- Exterior Layout: Outside, I really enjoy the look of the Impreza. It looks pretty good and I can't wait to see the new platform being used on the WRX and STI models.
- Fuel Economy: Not bad at all for AWD. The CVT version of the Impreza has better gas milage, but the 5 Speed can get acceptable numbers if you resist the urge to rip it everywhere!
- Handling: Handling is very smooth and very responsive on this car. It's just a joy to drive on curvy roads.
- Sounds: The Subaru Boxer engine sounds super nice during start up, or when you rip it. I wish aftermarket mods finally come out for the car, because it would just sound even more amazing with them!

Dislikes:

- 5 Speed manual: I wish they put a 6th gear for this car, it would be more enjoyable. Must new cars use a 6 Speed Manual, c'mon Subaru! I also find that my car hates being in 1st gear. As soon as it's in 1st gear, it just wants to get to 2nd gear right away.
- Lack of power: With only a 2.0L engine pumping out 150 HP, it's definitely nothing impressive. I wish they had a 2.5L option, or at least find some way to bump up the power to 170 - 180 HP. Especially when going up hills or even just cruising, it just feels too slow. You notice it the most when the car is full with 5 people.
- Hill assist: Hill assist is great and all, but this one seems to just hold the car for too long sometimes. I find even when I park on a slight incline, hill assist will just turn on and I would stay there reving the engine before it decides to release my brakes.
- Infotainment System: It feels slow, half of the apps are useless. When using bluetooth for calls, as soon as the call finishes, it won't return you to your previous screen. Instead, it puts you back in the useless phone screen!! It's annoying and dangerous to constantly mess around with your screen to return to the screen you were just on.
- Android Auto App: I don't think this counts, but Android Auto does not like me. When I attach it to my phone USB cord, sometimes AA would crash, even though there is still a connection and won't open again until I unplug and replug the USB. When using Google Maps to find places, during long rides the screen would just freeze. Even though you're still driving, the screen shows that you're standing still, but the voice guide still works. I had to constantly go back to another screen, re-open maps and it will be back to normal for now, until it freezes again. Absolutely garbage in my opinion.
- Rear View Mirror position: I don't know why Subaru decided to put the rear view mirror so low. It's difficult to see what's on your right side sometimes when checking a corner. The mirror covers most of the right side up, and I find myself ducking just to see if it's clear on that side.
- Beige Headliner: Absolutely hate it. Subaru couldn't of put a black headliner instead of beige? It can get dirty so easily if you're not careful and it just looks disgusting when the rest of the interior is black.
I think the mirror is low because of eyesight. Mine doesn't have eyesight, but you it aligns exactly the same with an Impreza that does have Eyesight. I guess it was easier for them to install them the same way. I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hate: Engine stutter, kinda slow (wish there was a turbo option, i would pay more for it)
Love: Color (island blue), paddle shifter, general look and style, interior, handling and braking, HK audio system is awesome (tons of bass)

In between: EXTREMELY small gas tank. Although it is nice to only pay 20-25 bucks on gas every time, I do have to fill up more often.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts