5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a slight vibe in my seat
Rotated the tires checking each wheel/tire
Tire lateral run out is my issue more so the rear tires (I guess living with it for now)
Next issue is plastic protecting the wheels very sticky
For months I have washed this car and no clue of gooey residue
Being in the rain so much (combination of dirt,brake dust etc) what a site ( sorry no pic)
Cleaning procedure tried a lot of products to not ruing the finish
I ended up washing the wheel soaking WD40 on wheel followed by car soap and clay bar (very tedious job looks like new again with no scratches)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good post Scooby. Wish you had taken some pics though.
I was so focused on getting the gooey stuff off I forgot to take pics
During shipment of vehicle the heat /wind tends to force plastic to touch wheel and bonding happens
Some are lucky (first for me)
Just pass fingers lightly on wheels see if you have the same thing on wheels

·
Registered
778 Posts
I was so focused on getting the gooey stuff off I forgot to take pics
During shipment of vehicle the heat /wind tends to force plastic to touch wheel and bonding happens
Some are lucky (first for me)
Just pass fingers lightly on wheels see if you have the same thing on wheels
some of these are actually shipped with plastic covering the wheels, that's where the adhesive came from. our car had it too when we took delivery. about 5 mins with some lacquer thinner and they were good to go. the body is also covered in white plastic during delivery but you can get those glue lines off the same way or some light rubbing compound.

Reactions: Scooby

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some of these are actually shipped with plastic covering the wheels, that's where the adhesive came from. our car had it too when we took delivery. about 5 mins with some lacquer thinner and they were good to go. the body is also covered in white plastic during delivery but you can get those glue lines off the same way or some light rubbing compound.
That's the one chemical (lacquer thinner) I did not have in stock
2017SportHatch I am glad you got yours off easy
I tried gas,99% alcohol ,bug/tar remover,oops,goop, last resort thinking of acetone (that will remove it for sure)
They were just softening up the residue but mine would be like rubbing silicone off something
I would first find out more about wheel, like is it power coated or?
Think so

·
Registered
730 Posts
That's the one chemical (lacquer thinner) I did not have in stock
2017SportHatch I am glad you got yours off easy
I tried gas,99% alcohol ,bug/tar remover,oops,goop, last resort thinking of acetone (that will remove it for sure)
They were just softening up the residue but mine would be like rubbing silicone off something
I would first find out more about wheel, like is it power coated or?
Think so
What about an automotive grade prepsol? We use it in the shop every day. I used it just last week to remove duct tape marks from a vehicle's door frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts