5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lots of conflicting forum posts, sorry if we are beating a dead horse here.....currently have 215/50/r17 they look real puny, but want to use the AWD to go off roading, which ATV tires will fit the original 17 inch rim? without a lift kit? i know most people recommend getting a 15 or 16 inch rim, but i don't want to spend the $$ on that or lift kit. Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
Take a look at this post here - I don't know much about ATV tires (my guess being their use is off-road only, you'll want a separate set of wheels because driving with them at highway speeds on road can be dangerous) WRX Wheels on Impreza

That post gives a link to a place you can compare tire sizes and wheel sizes. Look at what you would like, and the wheel setup on the left is the stock setup.
Careful with non-DOT road tires, as you can potentially be risking your life/others when using them. ATVs aren't designed to go highway speeds nor carry heavy loads, in comparison to an ATV, these are likely to exceed the weight limit of an ATV tire. If you want a good offroad tire, see what you can get with crosstrek wheels and all-terrain tires.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza 5 dr. Island Blue Pearl Limited
137 Posts
I feel is reasonable to assume OP made a simple mistake of mixing up All-Terrain Tires (AT) and four-wheeler/quad (ATV) tires. The latter being off-highway use only and non-DOT compliant.

DOT All-Terrains such as those made by BF Goodrich, Falken, Yokohama, Kumho, etc. are all perfectly safe and legal to run on the roads and highways.

As to what size would fit on our 5th gens without a lift? I couldn't say but I can't imagine it would be much larger than stock diameters otherwise you'd probably have considerable amounts of rubbing if not denting and mashing fenders when you're hitting bumps and flexing the suspension out.

I think you'll have trouble finding a small enough AT tire that will still utilize a 17" rim. Advantage of going to a smaller wheel size is you increase the sidewall height which allows the tires to flex more, giving better traction in off-road terrains. Downside is you're often limited on how small you can go based on your brake assembly size.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: MagikAram
1 - 4 of 4 Posts