5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not here to start a debate about what the "best" oil is, etc...

What I am more curious about is there any particular oil brand or formula that has maybe not worked as well in this car as say another brand. I just switched my 18 Legacy from M1 AFE to M1 EP and my wife says it feels smoother. She is driving it a lot more than me even though it is my car. In January my 19 Impreza is due for its 18 month oil change and was going to use the same M1 EP since I have a few jugs. Due to warranty, I am happy to use something that is certified though I did use Amsoil SS in my 17 Legacy twice before I traded in for the 18 and I can't say I noticed a difference though I traded in at 2 years with less than 10k miles on it.

I went with M1 EP based on reviews that it is a good oil, meets specs and I got it on sale plus the rebates. Just curious is anyone had run into problems with it or another brand and formula in the 2.0 that I should stay away from especially due to GDI. I am using the OEM filter, not that it makes a difference in which oil I use.

If this topic has been beat up, I'm sorry. I did search a little and didn't see much.

For the record, I have been using Amsoil AFL in my 2001 S4 but recently got a good deal at Costco for M1 0W-40 which is on VW approved list so I'll be going back to that especially since I barely drive the car and one of the turbos is leaking. No need to use anything more expensive in a car that I barely drive. I've been at 99k miles on that car for years and I was at 98k for years before that.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
204 Posts
I use Castrol Magnatec. I know its not the best oil, but its decent and costs $16 at amazon and I change my oil every 3-4k miles or so.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
951 Posts
I like using Mobile 1 but I also like Castrol Full synthetic too. I've been using M1 for years and typically get Blackstone Oil analysis done every so often. Never had an issue myself. With the NA motor I usually change it every 5K miles (8K km). If I happen to go a little longer no big deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Idemitsu 0w20 for me. Also put in some ceratec liquid moly, engine is running fantastic. I use the Mazda rx8 oil filters.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my M1 EP for $24/5qt but then the $12 rebate. So, I can't complain. Is it the best oil? No idea. Do I see good reviews, yes. I don't think I have used Castrol in a long time, if ever. I am also barely driving so I have no need to use anything for lack of better term "better". I was guessing I would be doing between 6 and 10k a year on this car but since I'm not gigging at all and not driving to work I think I've done less than 2k miles since July. I do want to try Redline some time but most likely not in these cars for a while. I am tempted to try in my wife's 2014 CR-V but she has barely been driving it since she has been driving my Legacy.

Thanks for the responses so far!

·
Registered
67 Posts
All the oils mentioned meet Subaru specs and will do just fine. I have run Valvoline full synthetic 0w-20 for the past three OCI'S and it does as well as any oils mentioned above.

Ensure any brand you choose meets Subaru specs as listed in the manual and you're golden.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have been using CASTROL EDGE (full synthetic) for at least 20 years. This is my go-to motor oil which I keep 'in stock' at all times.

----------------------

I stay away from MOBIL1 because of the way they kinda 'cheated' with their synthetic motor oil. Mobil canvassed the government to change the definition of "synthetic" oil so they could use cheaper base-oil. Additionally, the Mobil synthetic motor oil tends to vaporize more than other REAL synthetics. This vaporization has a tendency to gum up PVC systems and intake valves on GDI engines.

-------------------------------

When I need the BEST synthetic motor oil for the money, I choose SHELL ROTELLA T6. This is the VERY BEST motor oil on the WallyMart shelves for the money. (I use this product in Motorcycle, Kubota Diesel and other demanding situations.)

---------------------------------

Rarely, when I need the best lubrication available, I choose RED LINE products. They are costly due to their s API Group IV polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stock. Most often I use this in gear boxes, differentials and manual xMissions. This REALLY helps shifting when ambient temperature is below 0F. Also maximizes MPG becasue of reduced oil 'churn' within gearcases.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stay away from MOBIL1 because of the way they kinda 'cheated' with their synthetic motor oil. Mobil canvassed the government to change the definition of "synthetic" oil so they could use cheaper base-oil. Additionally, the Mobil synthetic motor oil tends to vaporize more than other REAL synthetics. This vaporization has a tendency to gum up PVC systems and intake valves on GDI engines.
This is actually false. Castrol was the company that cheated and Mobil called them out because they were using conventional oil and marketing it as synthetic.

Links for reference.

With that being said, I am not saying one product is superior to another. It is considered common knowledge that M1 0W-20 EP contains a large amount of PAO; something in the 60 - 70% range.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rarely, when I need the best lubrication available, I choose RED LINE products. They are costly due to their s API Group IV polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stock. Most often I use this in gear boxes, differentials and manual xMissions. This REALLY helps shifting when ambient temperature is below 0F. Also maximizes MPG becasue of reduced oil 'churn' within gearcases.
I did use Redline MT-90 in 2 transmissions and both below 20F degrees shifted like shit. In my A4 I had to go back to stock fluid and everything was fine. In my 95 pathfinder, I had the same thing. It was like shifting through mud until it completely warmed up. Though, I still want to try their oil one day.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
96 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 for years since my bmw days. Never had an issue. I pretty much buy mobil 1 or liqui moly depending on what's on sale. First oil change on the Impreza was Mobil 1. The next one due soon (my kid likes to drive) will be Liqui Moly. I'm going to do a blackstone analysis on the mobil 1 that we used for the first oil change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using Mobil 1 for years since my bmw days. Never had an issue. I pretty much buy mobil 1 or liqui moly depending on what's on sale. First oil change on the Impreza was Mobil 1. The next one due soon (my kid likes to drive) will be Liqui Moly. I'm going to do a blackstone analysis on the mobil 1 that we used for the first oil change.
Which M1 did you use? As for Liqui Moly, I never used but my friend used to use it in 2004 S4. I used Total once in my 01 S4 and I think I even used Rotella T6 but that may have been in my A4 when I had it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
96 Posts
For the Subie I'm using the M1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic. For the BMW, I was using M1 LL01 oil but my car calls for LL14 0W20 so I switched to Liqui Moly for that. Figured I'd try it in the Subie for the next oil change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
529 Posts
All the oils mentioned meet Subaru specs and will do just fine. I have run Valvoline full synthetic 0w-20 for the past three OCI'S and it does as well as any oils mentioned above.

Ensure any brand you choose meets Subaru specs as listed in the manual and you're golden.
This ^^^ it’s 2021. There really aren’t “bad” synthetic oils. Hell even the Amazon brand oil does good in the black stone lab analysis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This ^^^ it’s 2021. There really aren’t “bad” synthetic oils. Hell even the Amazon brand oil does good in the black stone lab analysis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have heard that since API SP most blends have little wiggle room and are very similar.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with those above that there aren't any "bad" oils and any 0w-20 will work just find for you. From there, it's a personal choice for whatever reason the consumer chooses.

My personal choice is Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30. I made a personal decision to increase the weight because of my lengthy research on manufacturer's response to the pressure of increasing the average MPG across the board. That, combined with the rod bearing issues Subaru has had in the past, as well as oil usage, added to the decision.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with those above that there aren't any "bad" oils and any 0w-20 will work just find for you. From there, it's a personal choice for whatever reason the consumer chooses.

My personal choice is Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30. I made a personal decision to increase the weight because of my longthy research on manufacturer's response to the pressure of increasing the average MPG across the board. That, combined with the rod bearing issues Subaru has had in the past, as well as oil usage, added to the decision.
I'm a preferred Amsoil customer but I haven't used it in either my 18 or 19 Subarus. I have used in my S4 and am going to use SS in my wife's CR-V which is out of warranty. Next time I see Castrol on sale I may try it out. Haven't used Castrol in years (I forgot I used it once in my S). Also thinking of Kirkland too since it is less than $15 for 5 quarts if you buy the 4 pack. That's oil changes for a year in both cars for less than $15 each not including filters. Maybe $21 after filters though the M1 EP I got after rebates was ~$12 per 5qts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts