5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a high pitched whirring noise that occurs briefly when the clutch is half engaged and if the rpm is a little too high (around 3k or more). The noise comes from behind the firewall at the front. This occurs only briefly because I don't ride the clutch but sometimes when turning right at intersections, cruising in parking lots, or shifting in general, I have to give some gas while the clutch isn't full pressed.

From what I read online it's most likely my throwout bearing. Is this too early to have a throwout bearing problem? I have 130,000 km on my car, and I'm the only owner.

When I called a subaru shop they said if they drop the transmission to replace the throwout bearing they suggest getting a whole clutch kit to replace several components, including clutch fork, clutch itself, etc. but my clutch isn't acting up or anything, and I wasn't planning to replace it yet.

I'm wondering what else you guys could suggest it might be, causing that noise? And if it is the throwout bearing, should I really be getting all those other components replaced as well? What's the worst damage I could cause if I delay getting all this repair done, if it turns out to be just the throwout bearing?

· Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport Hatch 5spd Manual
223 Posts
If the motor/trans is getting dropped, get it all done. Not worth going back in at X amount of miles for another single component. It's typical to do a clutch as a kit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts