5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2018 Impreza hatch with 5spd transmission and I'm constantly hearing a noise coming from the rear. It seems to happen everytime I lift my foot off the accelerator while cruising. Not so much like a mechanical grind but more of a whirring that kind of pulses in and out. I'd like to say it's somewhat rpm specific, being loudest while decelerating between 2.5-3k rpms, but I haven't driven the car long enough to say. It's just loud enough to hear over the radio when it's turned up to half volume. Anyone experienced something similar?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't have an answer for your question, I have my car has an automatic and I don't have any
unusual noises. Anyway, welcome to the forum, maybe someone here will have a answer for
your question.

Clifton

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest you have it checked at the dealer & have them test drive it. Does it occur when roads are wet/dry? With my Sport, with the Yokohama stock tires, they make quite a racket in wet conditions. Other than that the only thing I can think of is the driveshaft/differential.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wonder if this is related to the observations in the current "Knock/valve slap ..." thread ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No roof rack and no exposure to rain or water whatsoever since I brought the car home two days ago. I haven't even washed it yet since I'm taking it to a trusted detailer on Tuesday to have it properly cleaned up. Someone did a terrible job of removing both the dirt and adhesive residue while also leaving behind a few noticeable scratch marks that will need to be polished out.

I took my father for a ride today and he struggled to hear anything except for a few times when it got very loud but his ears aren't the best. One time the AC was leaking and it kept emitting a high pitched whistle that drove me nuts but he was convinced for weeks I was making it up. >:I

We both agreed that it doesn't sound like something serious such as a drivetrain problem but rather something either loose or squeaking from poor lubrication. This might sound silly but today I thought it almost sounds like an owl hooting over and over again in rapid succession. I might just suffer through the first thousand miles or so to make sure the car is properly broken in before trusting the dealership with it. On top of the terrible wash job they also drilled holes in the front bumper and chipped the edge of the driver side door while rushing to get the car ready for me. Saying I'm hesitant to leave it in their care again is an understatement. :(

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If my dealer screwed up my bumper and damaged my door I would have never driven it off their lot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same question

I have noticed this same thing (2017 Sport Sedan 5MT). My very first thought was it kind of sounded like interference in the audio system from the engine, a phenomena I have definitely noticed in older cars. But it's definitely not that. It's a bit of a whine that is most apparent when letting off the accelerator at about 55 mph. Although I have definitely noticed hearing it anywhere from 35 mph to 75 mph. Some days it's worse than others, and I can't put my finger on any rhyme or reason why. I've never been able to tell what part of the car it's coming from. It's incredibly annoying when listening to things like podcasts or audio books, or nothing at all while on the highway. It's quiet enough that music can tend to cover it up. I can't say whether or not it was there when I bought the car, but I didn't notice it until about 3k or 4k miles (1 month after purchase). I'm now at about 7k. I've began to wonder if it's just the sound of the engine? It's not terribly unlike the sound of most cars when they go into reverse--that funny R/C car kinda whine.

Just blabbering my thoughts. :grin2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what I hear! I took the car into the dealership two days ago and was told the car drove fine and made no "unusual" noises. I don't buy it but my loaner car for the day was a 2018 Crosstrek CVT and it made the same noise from the rear. :/ I won't even start on the AC compressor pump sound at idle -.-

I have noticed this same thing (2017 Sport Sedan 5MT). My very first thought was it kind of sounded like interference in the audio system from the engine, a phenomena I have definitely noticed in older cars. But it's definitely not that. It's a bit of a whine that is most apparent when letting off the accelerator at about 55 mph. Although I have definitely noticed hearing it anywhere from 35 mph to 75 mph. Some days it's worse than others, and I can't put my finger on any rhyme or reason why. I've never been able to tell what part of the car it's coming from. It's incredibly annoying when listening to things like podcasts or audio books, or nothing at all while on the highway. It's quiet enough that music can tend to cover it up. I can't say whether or not it was there when I bought the car, but I didn't notice it until about 3k or 4k miles (1 month after purchase). I'm now at about 7k. I've began to wonder if it's just the sound of the engine? It's not terribly unlike the sound of most cars when they go into reverse--that funny R/C car kinda whine.

Just blabbering my thoughts.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I can't say what you are hearing for sure but I have had a very similar experience. but, it wasn't in any Subaru we own, mainly because ours are CVTs and not manuals. but instead we had a 2002 Chevy Cavalier that made this exact same noise you guys are describing. it is indeed VERY ANNOYING. so much so we tried to lemon law that car due to that issue and another strut mount issue. come to find out the "whining or whirling" noise was the syncros in the manual trans. I don't know if the transmissions are similar but they might be. and who knows, it could be something entirely different for you guys.

oh yeah, the Chevy stealership told us numerous times the noise was "normal" no matter how annoying it was. so did the lawyer that was handling our lemon law claim. so, that car found a new home after about 11 months of ownership. that one car is sole reason we will NEVER buy another GM product.

I would be curious to find out exactly what you guys are hearing. and how your dealerships handle fixing it. I hope Subaru stands behind it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 Impreza hatch with 5spd transmission and I'm constantly hearing a noise coming from the rear. It seems to happen everytime I lift my foot off the accelerator while cruising. Not so much like a mechanical grind but more of a whirring that kind of pulses in and out. I'd like to say it's somewhat rpm specific, being loudest while decelerating between 2.5-3k rpms, but I haven't driven the car long enough to say. It's just loud enough to hear over the radio when it's turned up to half volume. Anyone experienced something similar?
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I'm having the same issue. Almost like wind noise when coasting

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exact same issue here. Haven't asked the dealer about it yet. Stock 5 door MT. The owl hoots long and slow when I let off throttle above 60mph as if he were sad to lose the momentum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just a guess but could it be the fuel pump?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heard the same in my 2019, less than 3,000 miles. It has less than 6 miles when I got it. Same whining noise, people who ride in the front have asked me if that’s turbo whine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts