5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious who else saved a grand by getting the manual transmission.

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
^^^^ same I'm enjoying it so far. Just wish there was more oohhmmff through the range. Take offs, and second gears seem a little laggy. I'm pretty sure the tune on this car is not the best. Feel the Torque curve could be better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely true about dealers having a lot more CVT models in their lots. I was tired of fixing my forester I finally sold it to pick and pull. My original motor made it to 412k. I got lucky with mine. I wanted a base model because I like steelies in the winter time and I wanted a 5-speed. My dealer had a special order one in stock that he let me buy because the customer who ordered it was out of town for another 2 weeks at the time. Literally left the dealer seconds after removing all the protective films from the hood etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW. Are any of you 5 speed owners liking the Hill Start Assist? I live in mountain area and got pretty annoyed having the break kick in every hike start. I turned mine off about 3 weeks into owning the car.

·
Registered
858 Posts
BTW. Are any of you 5 speed owners liking the Hill Start Assist? I live in mountain area and got pretty annoyed having the break kick in every hike start. I turned mine off about 3 weeks into owning the car.
It annoyed me on the first day. It's been off ever since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the 5 speed and regretting it. Dont get me wrong its more involved to drive, but the mpg is killing me. Its not any better than a full blown STI. I usually just average 20mpg mixed driving. 24 city / 32 highway is an outright joke :O

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the 5 speed and regretting it. Dont get me wrong its more involved to drive, but the mpg is killing me. Its not any better than a full blown STI. I usually just average 20mpg mixed driving. 24 city / 32 highway is an outright joke :O
I am at 29.4. i do more highway than city though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hill Assist "lurch"

I turned mine off yesterday. It would be fine if it disengaged as soon as the clutch came off the floor, but instead it disengages after the clutch has engaged, which causes the vehicle to lurch slightly.

Since the driveway to my garage is slightly uphill, and since the garage door opening is only slightly wider than the vehicle, lurching into the garage is not a good practice.

Maybe after the clutch wears a bit, it will work better. For now, it's off. Too bad the "Vehicle Dynamics Control" switch doesn't control it, without having to go through the whole "disable" procedure: I don't like the "Hill Assist" (or any other) warning light to be on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I turned mine off yesterday. It would be fine if it disengaged as soon as the clutch came off the floor, but instead it disengages after the clutch has engaged, which causes the vehicle to lurch slightly.

Since the driveway to my garage is slightly uphill, and since the garage door opening is only slightly wider than the vehicle, lurching into the garage is not a good practice.

Maybe after the clutch wears a bit, it will work better. For now, it's off. Too bad the "Vehicle Dynamics Control" switch doesn't control it, without having to go through the whole "disable" procedure: I don't like the "Hill Assist" (or any other) warning light to be on.
the light is something I am just living with. i may turn it back on to test it out again now that I'm at 13k miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Getting rid of the Hill Start Assist "lurch"

I don't like the "Hill Start Assist" (or any other) warning light to be on.
I have turned this feature back on for the time being, because I have modified my behavior :grin2::

When starting from a stop on a hill:

1. For the past 37 years of driving a stick, I moved my right foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal, & then immediately released the clutch. Previous vehicles would only drift back a few inches when this procedure was done properly.
  2. In the Impreza with the "Hill Start Assist" feature has engaged, the above procedure applies torque to the drive train before the "Hill Start Assist" feature has detected the clutch release & therefore released the brake. This causes the lurch as the brake is released suddenly.
  3. Now, I move my right foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal & then wait (2-3 seconds) until the car starts to drift back, & then release the clutch. Initial tests seem to show that the drift is about the same (several inches).
  4. The only problem with this revised procedure, is that when at a stop-light with other vehicles behind me, I find the delay (compared to previous vehicles) to be slightly rude. Fortunately, I am pretty good at guessing when the light is about to turn green, & am ready.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just curious who else saved a grand by getting the manual transmission.
In 2015 I test drove the XT with a manual transmission. I had been driving a stick Golf. I live in the mountains and I had to shift so low to barely go the speed limit that I returned the car and got a Rav4. This time I got the CVT because I think it works better for the terrain and altitude I drive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gear ratios

Has anyone seen any documentation of the 2017 gear ratios in each gear? Is the "5MT 2012+" data of "Gear Ratios: 1st 3.454 2nd 1.888 3rd 1.296 4th 0.972 5th 0.738" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_transmissions#5MT_revised_2012.2B ) current/valid for the 2017 Impreza (base)? That would mean when shifting:

1. From 1st to 2nd: new RPM is 55% of prior RPM.
  2. From 2nd to 3rd: new RPM is 69% of prior RPM.
  3. From 3rd to 4th: new RPM is 75% of prior RPM.
  4. From 4th to 5th: new RPM is 76% of prior RPM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was very pleased with my Island Blue 5 door manual. I looked for a base model, and only found 3 or 4 in the state that were manuals. I like it cause there is less to break. Incandescent bulbs are way cheap and easier to replace. I has the best power to weight ratio, since all have the same motor. Finally I prefer the 50/50 torque split.

As for the hill holder the older mechanical version was far superior to the current one. much smoother operating. I found if I put the car in neutral, then shift into gear when the light turns green I don't get the lurch.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can someone please answer this once and for all its driving me crazy. I didn?t build a sport as I built the base and then got a sport after the order was pushed until the 2018s. I see the 2018 have a short throw standard on the sport. I was under the impression the 17 came standard with the STS but then reading some articles about the 18, saying Subaru added it standard to the 18. Implying it was not on the 17? The throws feel short but I have nothing to base it off since I never drove the 5MT base cuz I couldn?t find a single one on any lot. Is the STS in our sports or do we have to buy it aftermarket??

·
Registered
177 Posts
"Hill Start Assist" is off

I have turned this feature back on for the time being, because I have modified my behavior :grin2::

When starting from a stop on a hill:

1. ....
  2. ....
  3. Now, I move my right foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal & then wait (2-3 seconds) until the car starts to drift back, & then release the clutch. Initial tests seem to show that the drift is about the same (several inches).
  4. ....
This is still annoying, so "Hill Start Assist" is back off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 17 sport 5mt Canadian model and it doesnt have the STS, the throw feels exactly the same as the base 5mt i test drove

As for the hill assist i find i have to feather the clutch to get it to start grabbing and then transition to gas pedal and just hold myself on the hill with the clutch for a second to make sure its deactivated when the light goes green. It's a little annoying but i got used to it, just have to anticipate in advance

1 - 20 of 30 Posts